+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spurs Playing "The Barnsley Way"

Spurs Playing "The Barnsley Way"

For any Barnsley fan watching the Spurs-v-Chelsea game last night it must have brought back memories of the Ismael Covid season tactics.

--The Spurs defensive line was right up on the half way line

--the Spurs keeper was the sweeper ten yards outside the penalty area (Collins)

--elements of hoofball crept in as the Spurs defence "got rid" as soon as they could.

--the players on the pitch changed so much

Apart from Spurs going down to nine men it showed what teams of Premiership quality would have done if we had gone up playing Nudges/ Ismael's "Barnsley Way", The huge gaps behind the high line were constantly exploited by Chelsea and any aimless balls upfield were easily dealt with by the Chelsea defence.

It was a cracking, entertaining game though

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    For any Barnsley fan watching the Spurs-v-Chelsea game last night it must have brought back memories of the Ismael Covid season tactics.

--The Spurs defensive line was right up on the half way line

--the Spurs keeper was the sweeper ten yards outside the penalty area (Collins)

--elements of hoofball crept in as the Spurs defence "got rid" as soon as they could.

--the players on the pitch changed so much

Apart from Spurs going down to nine men it showed what teams of Premiership quality would have done if we had gone up playing Nudges/ Ismael's "Barnsley Way", The huge gaps behind the high line were constantly exploited by Chelsea and any aimless balls upfield were easily dealt with by the Chelsea defence.

It was a cracking, entertaining game though
    😊😊😊
    I’ve given the Barnsley system of doing things the nickname ‘Barnsley Way’ as it’s a succinct way of pulling all the aspects of the system together under one heading.
    That is to say - what recruitment is looking for when looking at potential signings - the formation (352 or 343) that’s played - the role of each player within the system eg goalkeeper being first line of attack and strikers being the first line of defence.

So you may not hear the ‘Barnsley Way’ said by the club - they have a more technical term to describe it.

Barnsley way or whatever, tha keeps a high defensive line at that level thy asking fo trouble because quality players exploit it.

In our own Premiership season 97/98, our defence was too high with the system that we played and we payed the price. Still, we earned a few admirers for our attacking football and spirit. Then again, gi me a manager with nous and an element of defensive orientation and keep us in the Premiership any day of the week.

It's like when Newcastle under Keegan when they blew the Premiership title in the mid 90s. Everybody loved them but ultimately tha dunt get a trophy for being entertainers.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Barnsley way or whatever, tha keeps a high defensive line at that level thy asking fo trouble because quality players exploit it.

In our own Premiership season 97/98, our defence was too high with the system that we played and we payed the price. Still, we earned a few admirers for our attacking football and spirit. Then again, gi me a manager with nous and an element of defensive orientation and keep us in the Premiership any day of the week.

It's like when Newcastle under Keegan when they blew the Premiership title in the mid 90s. Everybody loved them but ultimately tha dunt get a trophy for being entertainers.
    If I'm HC at Oakwell there's no suit from upstairs telling me how my team plays with players provided for me by a little rich boy with nowt better to do all day than look at analytics and spreadsheets .

I always remember Big Sam when he took over at West Ham and was asked if he was going to continue with the West Ham way and tradition .

Very diplomatic he said he was at West Ham to win games of football and return the club to the PL .

Which he did , his way .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    If I'm HC at Oakwell there's no suit from upstairs telling me how my team plays with players provided for me by a little rich boy with nowt better to do all day than look at analytics and spreadsheets .

I always remember Big Sam when he took over at West Ham and was asked if he was going to continue with the West Ham way and tradition .

Very diplomatic he said he was at West Ham to win games of football and return the club to the PL .

Which he did , his way .
    They won’t get passed the interview stage at Barnsley.
    So how Collins has managed to slip through the net and introduce a style of football resembling Schopp but without Conway on his back - then God only knows.

Little rich boy with nowt better to do - is one way of describing a fella that’s brought good players to the club that have cost next to nowt with some of them sold on for £££millions.
    But it’s not a term I’d personally use.

I’m less inclined to use derogatory terms when describing the club and its directors - and more inclined to use more positive descriptions such as portraying James as a maths genius who continues to lay golden eggs for the club.
    Mael and Luca are the latest that are likely to attract big money bids.
    Again both brought in for next to nowt.

Genius James obviously deserves credit for his statistical findings but has it occurred to Nudger that the coaching aspect of improving a player once he crosses the Oakwell threshold is key to their development and standing? Obviously not. Nudger is a club sycophant who puts James on a pedestal. Maths genius he maybe, football genius he isn't. Leave it to the professional coaches and give most credit to them I say.
    Last edited by pass_and_move; 07-11-2023 at 09:47 PM.

Genius James obviously deserves credit for his statistical findings but has it occurred to Nudger that the coaching aspect of improving a player once he crosses the Oakwell threshold is key to their development and standing? Obviously not. Nudger is a club sycophant who puts James on a pedestal. Maths genius he maybe, football genius he isn't. Leave it to the professional coaches and give most credit to them I say.
    Who recognises the qualities of a good coach ?
    And who then employs that coach?

A football club is only as good as its directors.
    No matter how big a football club is - if the directors are inadequate then the club will fail.

Everything at a football club starts and finishes with the directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

Everything at a football club starts and finishes with the directors.
    I don't dispute that but even thar questioning how Collins was appointed to quote you 'playing boring football' and 'not the Barnsley way'.

Like managers, coaches and players- Tha gets em either good, average or bad. The directors are responsible as you say. Unfortunately you can't see no wrong in them. Thy hangs on their every word so the lack of constructive criticism from you is non existent. There's no balance whatsoever from you. If owt, tha slates supporters like me for rightly criticising the board when bad decisions are made or what I see is perhaps lurking around the corner if they go down certain avenues like for example- The recruitment of non league players for miniscule fees replacing proven league 1 players.

The board are in a position where criticism goes with the territory I'm afraid. In their position, they should equally be able to take constructive criticism along with the praise. People tend to just tip the scales one way. The main problem however is supporters like yourself who can see no wrong and get annoyed when things are questioned or criticised by others labelling people like me as a 'so called fan' because I criticise things that I'm unhappy with.

At the time of Genius James working alongside American sports data legend Billy Beane at Oakwell in early 2018, brought in by Conway (Arseoyle), the club used Beane's Spreadsheet System.
    Back then only the top clubs were using Data Spreadsheets to identify players to recruit. Now it is commonplace throughout the English league clubs.
    James Cryne set up BFC Data Services, registered at Companies House in Sept 2018, and now uses his own Spreadsheet System acting as a Management Consultant for BFC as well as being a Director of BFC and Oakwell Holdings.
    I have not seen any research comparing the success of the Cryne Spreadsheet System with any other used by other clubs. As with all the systems it identifies possible player targets for the club to consider. Because of financial constraints the club are now looking further and further down the football pyramid to identify players or looking at the free agent market. How successful he will be fishing in these new pools remains to be seen.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 08-11-2023 at 07:28 AM.

I don't dispute that but even thar questioning how Collins was appointed to quote you 'playing boring football' and 'not the Barnsley way'.

Like managers, coaches and players- Tha gets em either good, average or bad. The directors are responsible as you say. Unfortunately you can't see no wrong in them. Thy hangs on their every word so the lack of constructive criticism from you is non existent. There's no balance whatsoever from you. If owt, tha slates supporters like me for rightly criticising the board when bad decisions are made or what I see is perhaps lurking around the corner if they go down certain avenues like for example- The recruitment of non league players for miniscule fees replacing proven league 1 players.

The board are in a position where criticism goes with the territory I'm afraid. In their position, they should equally be able to take constructive criticism along with the praise. People tend to just tip the scales one way. The main problem however is supporters like yourself who can see no wrong and get annoyed when things are questioned or criticised by others labelling people like me as a 'so called fan' because I criticise things that I'm unhappy with.

Isn’t it me - and as far as I know only me on this message board - that at the moment is criticising the appointment of Collins ???
    As said - if he doesn’t change the style of play he needs to go.
    Promotion or no promotion.

Isn’t it me - and as far as I know only me on this message board - that bothers to go to supporters meetings and puts the directors on the spot by asking them awkward questions such as:

1) The club cannot progress unless we are able to secure the services of successful head coaches - we cannot build to the start of a season continually having to search for a new head coach.
    If Neill Collins is successful this season then what has the club done differently this time to secure his services for next season???
    2) We are told potential signings are placed into A, B and C categories.
    What percentage of category ‘A’ players does Khaled sign ???

The directors need to have their feet held to the fire at every opportunity.
    And I’ve continually said this - I’ve also said I’m not seeing any in-depth interviews when I see directors interviewed by the likes of Red all Over.

BUT - there’s a huge difference between criticising the club when they need to be criticised - and criticising the club ALL THE TIME at every opportunity.
    That for me paints a picture of someone who is having a bad life and reverts to kicking the dog.
    It’s sickening to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast