+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Dunfermline (a)

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I don't think there would be much in it. He'll be on third choice goalkeeper wages at Luton when they were a Championship club. We're probably paying Watt more this season than Walton gets at Luton, albeit we're most likely on a different wage structure now that Asghar is gone.

He's out of contract at the end of the season, so another loan will be out the question unless Luton give him another contract. Given they signed two goalkeepers in the summer, you'd have to think that's unlikely.
    Didn’t realise he was out of contract. Okay, could be a possibility there then. After all, if you don’t ask you don’t get.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Thoughts on tonight -

1. Was always going to be tricky with Dunfermline winning last week and no doubt McPoke getting them wound up pre game (Claude Whitngdon hasn’t started their last few games, yet suddenly comes back in for tonight - go figure).

2. Docherty is a massive miss. Pre season we were all concerned that it was Moult that was the main man, but actually we’ve done fine in games without him, but conversely when Docherty is missing we’ve been slightly lacking. Tonight was much the same.

3. Watt still needs to get a bit fitter - Phuck me he looked like he had a beer belly lining up in the minute’s silence.

4. Moult should have that game dead and buried - IMO he should have scored two of those opportunities tonight. If he does, we win that by two or three and it’s easy street.

5. Depth is there - Academy players are actually starting to contribute. Glass and Mochrie did well when they came on and turned a game that was threatening to go against us back in our favour. Fotheringham obviously got the goal as well.

6. Fight and dig. Two words that it’s difficult to describe and difficult to in-still yet are brazenly obvious when they are lacking. This side has it in abundance. Those imposters from last season are 100% losing that game tonight, particularly the way it went with Dunfermline getting back into it. This team on paper may not have the ‘credentials’ of last year’s squad but they more than make up for it with heart and teamwork. They would beat that lot from last season nae bother.

7. Pressure on Raith again. Friday nights can go either way - put pressure on your rivals or give them an opportunity. Happily we’ve done the former. Again. Over to you Rovers.

8. Finally, yet again well done JG. Another MotM but managed to dodge the curse again thankfully. Still a long way to go, but to have turned around this oil tanker of a disaster from last season in such a short space of time is testament to his hard work. Well done and keep it up.
    Spot on. I thought Watt had devoured a load of steak bridies before the match. Also well done to JG. The correct subbies at the right time to nullify their threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdyteejay2 View Post
    Also well done to JG. The correct subbies at the right time to nullify their threat.
    How many times have we said that about managers making subs the last few years? It can't be many. It does help that we have guys on the bench that can change games in this division, but still, credit to Goodwin for doing so at the right time. Both Glass & Mochrie injected a much needed bit of creativity and got us up the park. Had a feeling this might be a game for Mochrie to make an impact. He needs to kick on now and continue that for the rest of the season.

Not our best performance. Defence were opened up to easily at times. Teams starting to catch on how high we play and exploiting gaps behind.

It’s unfortunate that mochrie is trying to get into a Team with the amount of decent mids we have. I really like him and dare I say it prefer him over glass although glass is decent too. Hopefully we tie him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Not our best performance. Defence were opened up to easily at times. Teams starting to catch on how high we play and exploiting gaps behind.

It’s unfortunate that mochrie is trying to get into a Team with the amount of decent mids we have. I really like him and dare I say it prefer him over glass although glass is decent too. Hopefully we tie him down.
    I thought the 4-4-2 didnt work last night, got outnumbered in midfield and their boy chalmers look like inesta.

He does it to shoehorn Watt into the team cause he cant play 10 and cant play in midfield.

About time watt got dropped and dont even get me started on Tilson. He does nothing, he's like a really **** Ian Harkes and thats saying something.,

The Cujoe and Glass for Watt and Fotheringham usually, seems to be a bit of a default sub for Goodwin at the moment, I'd have had Mochrie on before Glass yesterday, just because I think he gives you a bit more control of the ball. I'd be tempted to try Cujoe in the middle more when those subbies sometimes.

I've seen Goodwin gets bit of slagging sometimes for being negative, I don't actually get that, we are essentially playing four attacking players, and two full backs bombing on, and more often than not at the moment, replacing Tilson with another attacking mid, so essentially that just leaves one sitting mid, and in case of Sibbald you wouldn't even say he is a natural defensive mid. I think it's quite brave those subs, but guess it comes down in part to us not really having any defensive mids, and thinking we have better players to push for the win than our opponents, especially with a bit more space/time late in matches. Higher class of opposition we'd definitely be getting picked off more. Tilson seems to run around a lot, but you just need to hold your position as a central/defensive mid a lot of the time, and shut off the space to the opposition, otherwise can leave pockets for them to expose.

Were some very clever and subtle tactical adaptions late in the game in particular. The 3 in midfield was the platform for that, but the call to push Middleton in narrower and leave the left wing channel for McMann caused them huge problems. Allowed a lot more in and around Moult giving the midfielders more to work with in the tight areas with one/twos etc.
    Liked how Mochrie wanted to run beyond the front line too.

Bit of a boring tactical analysis, but you could seem him doing it. Called Middleton over to explain it during the game and the change was instantly noticeable.

Bringing Middleton into the middle was a major factor in us getting further up the park. We effectively had three playmakers in front of Sibbald, with the threat of Cudjoe out wide, and Dunfermline simply couldn't cope.

Pep Goodwin.

Really should have wrapped up the game in the first half but I'm just happy we got the three points in the end. If we'd taken even half of our chances it would have been a comfortable win and it's hard to believe Moult didn't get on the scoresheet. That aside I felt we were very sloppy at times and their goal was a f*cking shambles from our perspective. Couple of weeks break from league action now and hopefully the right players get rested for the tin pot cup and we play our strongest side in the Scottish Cup tie instead, although it's plastic again I believe so reluctant to risk the likes of Moult, Gallagher and Docherty tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    Were some very clever and subtle tactical adaptions late in the game in particular. The 3 in midfield was the platform for that, but the call to push Middleton in narrower and leave the left wing channel for McMann caused them huge problems. Allowed a lot more in and around Moult giving the midfielders more to work with in the tight areas with one/twos etc.
    Liked how Mochrie wanted to run beyond the front line too.

Bit of a boring tactical analysis, but you could seem him doing it. Called Middleton over to explain it during the game and the change was instantly noticeable.
    Think the 4-2-4 makes it difficult for Mochrie, he is probably best suited in that formation to the Watt role, but it would prob leave us a bit open if he was one of the two central mids because I'm not sure he has the defensive attributes, that would leave us a bit exposed, though maybe get away with it against certain weaker opponents. The three probably suits him more in midfield, but 4-2-4 suits the team more. He definitely has a talent however, good on the eye, but in past I've thought he needs to improve his shooting and get more goals and assists, and he needs minutes. Imagine he will be a cert to start in the diddy cup.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)