+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Suella Braverman.

https://twitter.com/SiaKordestani/st...31534121374130

They had their chance of a 2 state solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    I think the unsavoury truth of the matter is that resolutions and, perhaps, ultimately peace can only be achieved by engaging in dialogue with your enemies and this doesn't matter whether it is one country prepared to negotiate with another they have been openly at war with or a government prepared to enter into dialogue with terrorists. This is just part of realpolitik.

Like it or not, the reality is that terrorists groups don't achieve levels of support out of nowhere and there are normally some levels of injustice that have led to them flourishing and being seen as "freedom fighters" by some, regardless of their heinous tactics and increasing disregard for innocent lives. Making bold statements like "we do not negotiate with terrorists" may look strong and play to the world stage but-unless you can realistically destroy them (normally exceptionally difficult as they are usually so inter-woven into the fabric of a community)-it will only get you so far. Northern Ireland is a case in point. Were the IRA, for example, terrorists? Certainly. Did the Roman Catholic population have genuine grievances? Yes. Was engaging in talks with terrorists or former terrorists the only realistic way to progress peace ? I would argue, yes.

In respect of trying to engage in dialogue with them then, I believe Corbyn was right to do the highly unpopular. However, having the idiocy or tone deafness to actually call them "friends" is beyond the pale. He also got it badly wrong in his reading of both Hamas and Hezbollah in that they may purport to represent the Muslim population in the region and be fighting for their "freedom" but, in fact, they only represent a minority of that population and their hateful Islamic extremism works as much towards the repression of their freedoms as it does towards the eradication of their sworn enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    If or when it kicks off on Saturday, then she should take some responsibility for whipping up this divisive rhetoric. It reminds me a bit of Trump during the Capital riots.

I'm just so fed up of these disastrous career politicians. Who says what they do to appease people, that she thinks will enable her to get the top job.

The Tories will most likely get slaughtered at the next election, which will open up a position at the top of the party. All she has to do is get the media onside and here we go...

More populist, divisive nonsense from her. From a populist, divisive party who have trashed the country in the last 13 years. And she'll probably be the next leader of them.
    I know I’m a bit late coming to the party…but if any body thought that Braverman comments helped whip up the Remembrance Day outrage.. are living in cloud cuckoo land..if she had kept her mouth shut there would have been trouble these marches are just what the far right relish.
    Last edited by albion68; 14-11-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    I think the unsavoury truth of the matter is that resolutions and, perhaps, ultimately peace can only be achieved by engaging in dialogue with your enemies and this doesn't matter whether it is one country prepared to negotiate with another they have been openly at war with or a government prepared to enter into dialogue with terrorists. This is just part of realpolitik.

Like it or not, the reality is that terrorists groups don't achieve levels of support out of nowhere and there are normally some levels of injustice that have led to them flourishing and being seen as "freedom fighters" by some, regardless of their heinous tactics and increasing disregard for innocent lives. Making bold statements like "we do not negotiate with terrorists" may look strong and play to the world stage but-unless you can realistically destroy them (normally exceptionally difficult as they are usually so inter-woven into the fabric of a community)-it will only get you so far. Northern Ireland is a case in point. Were the IRA, for example, terrorists? Certainly. Did the Roman Catholic population have genuine grievances? Yes. Was engaging in talks with terrorists or former terrorists the only realistic way to progress peace ? I would argue, yes.

In respect of trying to engage in dialogue with them then, I believe Corbyn was right to do the highly unpopular. However, having the idiocy or tone deafness to actually call them "friends" is beyond the pale. He also got it badly wrong in his reading of both Hamas and Hezbollah in that they may purport to represent the Muslim population in the region and be fighting for their "freedom" but, in fact, they only represent a minority of that population and their hateful Islamic extremism works as much towards the repression of their freedoms as it does towards the eradication of their sworn enemies.
    Your last sentence is so true.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    I know I’m a bit late coming to the party…but if any body thought that Braverman comments helped whip up the Remembrance Day outrage.. are living in cloud cuckoo land..if she had kept her mouth shut there would have been trouble these marches are just what the far right relish.
    Totally correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Totally correct!

Which far right groups were identified on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindenbaggie View Post
    Which far right groups were identified on Saturday?
    Reference to Tommy Robinson and his merry band.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)