+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suella Braverman.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    I tend to agree with regard your first comment. I don't think race-at least, if you mean skin colour-really comes into her way of thinking. But, like Truss and other right wing Tories, she seems to assume that everyone has equal opportunities to make the best of their lives and that a failure to do so is very much their own fault. Seems symptomatic of the worst elements of the more selfish 80s culture and the driven upwardly mobile who lacked much of a social conscience or empathy for others.

As for Islamic ideology, I'm rather inclined to Hitchen's views when it comes to religion, but think we have to be careful not to lump all Muslims together and whilst I totally agree about the dangers of Islamic extremism threatening the freedoms of our own (Western) culture-something such groups make no bones about themselves-there is no single Islamic ideology.

Just as there are very many similarities between the basic tenets of the 3 Abrahamic religions (most notably, and ironically, the importance of charity and care for others) the various interpretations of the Bible or Quran have also resulted in great divides in Christian and Islamic beliefs. Whilst not all religious beliefs may be harmful, it is undeniable that religion has been the cause of more violence and bloodshed than anything else, although, of course, there are plenty of individuals throughout history who have used it as merely as a prop to support their own power.
    A nicely balanced reply, and when I say Islamic ideology I of course mean the type that is not compatible with our way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    A nicely balanced reply, and when I say Islamic ideology I of course mean the type that is not compatible with our way of life.
    Although I still believe that the more right leaning press do exaggerate the levels of support from the majority of Muslims in this country for such Islamic extremists, they do undoubtedly exist and I totally agree with you about the danger they pose. Zealots of any stripe threaten the liberties of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Although I still believe that the more right leaning press do exaggerate the levels of support from the majority of Muslims in this country for such Islamic extremists, they do undoubtedly exist and I totally agree with you about the danger they pose. Zealots of any stripe threaten the liberties of others.
    A recent poll allegedly found that 81% of Muslims placed their faith as being more important than being British. If true, this weekend's demonstrations will give us a further warning of what will be happening in the future. They keep pushing and pushing the boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindenbaggie View Post
    A recent poll allegedly found that 81% of Muslims placed their faith as being more important than being British. If true, this weekend's demonstrations will give us a further warning of what will be happening in the future. They keep pushing and pushing the boundaries.
    Wouldn't be too surprised at that percentage figure at all tbh. We are -technically at least -a Christian country with a monarch who is "supreme governor" of the Church of England but the reality is that over many years a combination of science, social revolution, political and philosophical thought and the experience of two world wars has eroded many people's beliefs.

I would wager that most of the British population would likely see themselves as either agnostic or atheist. When Lennon made his remarks about the Beatles being of more importance to many young people than Jesus/God way back in 1966 it is telling that the backlash came not from here but from the Bible Belt of America. By contrast, the religion of many immigrants to this country-the majority of whom come from former colonies and who are mostly Muslim- means much more to them. I personally do not see this as being a threat in itself as I still believe that the vast majority of Muslims in this country do not share the radical beliefs of the Islamic extremists. I do, however, recognize the threat of Islamic extremism and those whose ideology encourages the destruction of "corrupt" Western nations such as the UK. The moot point is how you stop this. Zealots are always keen to brain wash their disciples but how the wider Muslim community is treated can also have a large influence in whether such groups attract new followers.

Although anti immigration feelings have grown noticeably over the past decade or so across Europe (driven primarily by economic concerns as they always have been) the recent protest marches here have arisen purely from the Hamas/Israeli conflict. Of course, many who have joined them are Muslim but there are also many who are not. They are united in protesting at the actions of Israel in Gaza which is leading to the deaths of many innocent Palestinians and the fact that Western leaders are seemingly condoning this. They are not marching to demand an end to British culture or values.

I don't doubt for one second that there are extremists amongst these marches aiming to hi-jack the protests for their own ends and calling for the elimination and destruction of Israel or Western nations and these should be arrested and dealt with appropriately. I have great sympathy with those who argue that if such extremists who seek the destruction of Western values feel that way then they should go live elsewhere and peddle their hateful ideologies. But I'm sure the majority of those protesting are not of this ilk.

As Home Secretary, Braverman should have been trying to calm the situation not inflame it.

They are united in protesting at the actions of Israel in Gaza which is leading to the deaths of many innocent Palestinians and the fact that Western leaders are seemingly condoning this. They are not marching to demand an end to British culture or values.
    Take you to task on that one, it’s not Israel’s acts it’s those of Hamas, it’s Hamas who use hospitals and schools as protection for their fighters and the populous as human shields. They and they alone are ultimately responsible, this will become clearer in the coming days and weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    They are united in protesting at the actions of Israel in Gaza which is leading to the deaths of many innocent Palestinians and the fact that Western leaders are seemingly condoning this. They are not marching to demand an end to British culture or values.
    Take you to task on that one, it’s not Israel’s acts it’s those of Hamas, it’s Hamas who use hospitals and schools as protection for their fighters and the populous as human shields. They and they alone are ultimately responsible, this will become clearer in the coming days and weeks.
    You are, of course, absolutely right regarding Hamas-regardless of how Israel's policies over the years towards Palestinians may have fed into support for them, they are a terrorist group funded by extremists and there is no way around that or the fact that their heinous attack on Israeli is what prompted their response.

I don't dispute either that they use the tactics you mention. I'm in no way supporting Hamas but was just saying, what I believe, is the main reason why most are attending the protest marches, which is that the continued suffering of innocents whilst Israel goes after legitimate targets in Gaza should stop. I don't deny, however, that there will be elements of pro-Hamas extremists amongst the protesters (who do threaten our values and culture) and believe that these should be arrested and dealt with.

If pro Hamas supporters have been found guilty of openly threatening our culture and values there is a simple answer; deport them to their country of origin!

Now Churchills grandson has come out in support of the protest. His reason being the very thing we fought for - freedoms. Why are you guys not attacking him? It’s unfortunate it coincides on this date. but there is a lot of stereotyping here that there will be disrespect caused by muslims here in the UK. Far from it, it’s always a small percentage.

It seems as if there’s quite a lot of double standards taking place in this board. DaveP67 i’m not sure what your agenda is here but it seems very one side - anti muslim. Something you’d like to share?

Yeah flags for Ukraine but none for Palestine. There’s a fkin genocide taking place, and yet you guys keep going on about the protest being in favour of hamas - as if they are protesting about support for hamas. No they ain’t. Innocent children are being killed and only now Macron has come out to ask there needs to be a ceasefire. Israel has a right to defend land they stole due to the occupation?? Seriously? It’s as if you all woke up to believe this conflict started 7th October.

Now while it looks like i’m being one sided, i’m not. It absolutely disgusts me when I heard the festival attack on israelis, killing by that Hamas attack. I think this crooked government does have a lot to answer for. But you’ve got an israeli government who don’t help matters at all.

Just think about how many people have died as a result form this current conflict rather focus on a tiny percentage who might be anti jewish at the protest. There’s thousands of children dying. But it seems to me that the majority of you believe that palestinians lives never mattered. You’re a sick person if you cannot condemn the violence from both sides rather than both.

Deport them to the country of origin - seriously Leicester?? Stop being an A class nazi! Freedom of speech when it suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Now Churchills grandson has come out in support of the protest. His reason being the very thing we fought for - freedoms. Why are you guys not attacking him? It’s unfortunate it coincides on this date. but there is a lot of stereotyping here that there will be disrespect caused by muslims here in the UK. Far from it, it’s always a small percentage.

It seems as if there’s quite a lot of double standards taking place in this board. DaveP67 i’m not sure what your agenda is here but it seems very one side - anti muslim. Something you’d like to share?

Yeah flags for Ukraine but none for Palestine. There’s a fkin genocide taking place, and yet you guys keep going on about the protest being in favour of hamas - as if they are protesting about support for hamas. No they ain’t. Innocent children are being killed and only now Macron has come out to ask there needs to be a ceasefire. Israel has a right to defend land they stole due to the occupation?? Seriously? It’s as if you all woke up to believe this conflict started 7th October.

Now while it looks like i’m being one sided, i’m not. It absolutely disgusts me when I heard the festival attack on israelis, killing by that Hamas attack. I think this crooked government does have a lot to answer for. But you’ve got an israeli government who don’t help matters at all.

Just think about how many people have died as a result form this current conflict rather focus on a tiny percentage who might be anti jewish at the protest. There’s thousands of children dying. But it seems to me that the majority of you believe that palestinians lives never mattered. You’re a sick person if you cannot condemn the violence from both sides rather than both.

Deport them to the country of origin - seriously Leicester?? Stop being an A class nazi! Freedom of speech when it suits you.
    You seem not to understand or perhaps you've forgotten what protecting your people and borders actually looks like in reality .

When Israel is attacked in the way it was on October 7th it is retaliating in order to save it's very existence , have a moment to reflect on that .

Be in no doubt that the very existence of Israel is on the line here from those that seek it's extinction and they do seek it's extinction not just in Gaza either .

The poor Palestinians doesn't wash with me , plenty of content out there put together by extremely credible people on the history of this conflict , go check it out .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You seem not to understand or perhaps you've forgotten what protecting your people and borders actually looks like in reality .

When Israel is attacked in the way it was on October 7th it is retaliating in order to save it's very existence , have a moment to reflect on that .

Be in no doubt that the very existence of Israel is on the line here from those that seek it's extinction and they do seek it's extinction not just in Gaza either .

The poor Palestinians doesn't wash with me , plenty of content out there put together by extremely credible people on the history of this conflict , go check it out .
    So approx 10000 civilians killed, were they shield for Hamas? If that is what the IDF says, how is it they still have not killed any Hamas? If they did it be all over the news. To kill about 10000 and not get anywhere near Hamas? What’s that tell you?
    The appalling crime that happens on Oct 7, i don’t need to repeat but the worst attack on jewish people since the holocaust. It horrifies me an idealogy or an ‘organization’ such as Hamas can do this. I hope those responsible are punished severely but not 10000 odd civilians mostly children killed as retaliation. It sickening that you think you can justify it in that way.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)