+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Martin Patching

Martin Patching

I was saddened to hear from a friend that local footballer, Martin Patching, recently passed away at the age of 65.

Martin played at the highest levels for Wolves and Watford and then worked in journalism. He suffered from ill-health and returned to live in Rotherham a few years back. I saw him a few times in the Brecks on my UK visits. (I was at school with Martin's brother, Philip, the eldest of the many Patchings who lived on Brecks Crescent in the 1950s. Philip died about four years ago.)

Another sad loss, at a young age too. I lived in Wolverhampton back in the 70s and went to watch the Wolves for most home games and saw Martin Patching play many, many times and always felt proud that a Rotherham lad was playing for the Wolves who I adopted as my second team. Sad to hear of his passing.

Sad news that. His son is Carly Woodrow formerly Barnsley now at Luton. Not sure if he played against us when with wolves FA cup mid 70’s?
    He used to get a mention in millers fans song, on coach’s to away games, we all agree (insert such and such millers midfielder at the time ) is better than Patching, Gwyther is better than Eusabio and Gillingham are in for a thrashin.

My brother played with Martin in Rotherham boys,was the best of a very good team.

Really sad news indeed, I grew up with Martin and was at school with his younger brother John, we were all so proud of him. RIP Martin.

Good player
    Much too young
    RIP

Was he at Wath Wanderers? (Wolves' local feeder team).

Sad to hear this CT. As you may remember, I used to deal with his elder brother Phil who went on to form PP Engineering. We used his cranes all the time not only to support local business but mainly because they were nice to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Sad to hear this CT. As you may remember, I used to deal with his elder brother Phil who went on to form PP Engineering. We used his cranes all the time not only to support local business but mainly because they were nice to deal with.
    I worked with Phil back in the early 70's good lad

Just realised who it is now, he's lived opposite my daughter for last few years, she said he used to be a footballer but i never recognised him.