+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The international break

The international break

I hate them!!! Gets in the way of the real football. And I don’t know, I just don’t have that affinity that I have with NUFC.

It’s quite unbelievable how a result can change your mood… when England plays, yeah I’ll watch the game, but my heart isn’t in my mouth… it’s just not Newcastle!!!

I’m not working through the week, waiting for the weekend match to come around.

That being said, thank **** it’s here

It’s been years since international football excited me in any way. I actually missed half the world cup games and wasn’t bothered. For the lads, however, I would happily crawl through broken glass to get to watch them play.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    It’s been years since international football excited me in any way. I actually missed half the world cup games and wasn’t bothered. For the lads, however, I would happily crawl through broken glass to get to watch them play.
    It's odd how the older you get the less interested you feel about international football, at least that's how I feel.

When I was a lad in the 40's and 50's the home internationals were the only ones available, until the fabulous Hungarians toured, and we all used to follow the England team avidly, and if any pals had Scots friends or relatives visiting during matches against Scotland those lads got some stick.

It's really odd how you become disinterested in it all as you get older.

I wonder if we would have more enthusiasm if we had a manager like Eddie or K.K., Sir Bobby or Cloughie. There may be a bit more interest watching their teams play. Just a thought.

Whilst I agree with all of this.

This break, we, as a club badly need.

I feel truly blessed and lucky to have been born in Newcastle...it's just a shame we happen to be in England. Sorry (not sorry) if that offends anyone who likes to shout about Eng-er-land and sing the Dambusters theme tune.

In the North East, we get the shitty end of the stick from the South by almost any metric you care to mention, not least in terms of funding. The Gov't couldn't give a fuck about the North East and, for me at least, that has provoked an equal reaction of 'well, fuck you, too'.

When I think of the England team, the first thing that comes to mind is the absolute clownshoes who see supporting England as a patriotic duty and see thmselves as going to war for their country...the same ones who 'defended' the Cenotaph on Satturday.

Yes, I know it's not all England fans and yes, I know we have some absolute whoppers following us (every team does, tbf) but that's how I feel. The older I get, the more disconnected I feel from the country I was born in.

Got it in one Zip, that's why I am where I am. The north east was always at the bottom of the list, the Scousers used to always cry about their treatment from London but the north east wasn't even on their radar. All my family and friends voted Labour for donkey's years but got absolutely SFA for it, they did nothing for me, ever. When I look at the UK today it just reinforces the decision I made to get the furk out.
    Don't get me wrong, I still have that pull for where I was brought up and will never lose it but the UK is history for me.
    As for the England team, don't get me started.
    OK rant over, I feel better now.

Maybe it doesn’t help having every game played a Wembley…. There’s some top club stadiums that England could play their games at… even if it was the friendlies… maybe have a few of the local boys playing for England at their home ground to whet the appetite for a local fan base.

As it stands, I’ve never seen England live, my kids have never seen England live. No chance of getting that fire from being there.

And I can’t help but be disillusioned with the current England set up. When I grew up, it was the pinnacle of English football - now you get in the team for nothing.

Agreed about Wembley.

Wow! Some interesting comments. My disinterest in the England team is in it's governance not the country's, that said, our main political parties are pure poison IMO.
    Last edited by Kal; 14-11-2023 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    Wow! Some interesting comments. My disinterest in the England team is in it's governance not the country's, our main political parties are pure poison IMO.
    i certainly agree about the governance of the England team, Kal.

Southgate choosing a Chelsea player whose stats are matched by Gordon's and choosing a midfielder who doesn't play regularly for his club or an ageing (now) plodder from the Saudi league is just bollocks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)