+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: January window.

Basically, it's all rumour and innuendo intended to get online clicks that generate advertising revenue and THAT and nothing else is what is responsible for almost every online "club A interested in player X"... clickbait money making.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Of course they’re media reports. Unless you’re claiming to be an ‘itk’ how else are we meant to know what is going on. We rely on the media/internet and occasional informed rumour.

Warne said he only wants to sign players ‘better than what he already have’. That’s hardly surprising is it? Did you expect him to say ‘I thought I’d look for someone who’s not as good as we’ve already got’?

‘Harrumphing’? Not sure about that. Disappointed? Certainly...because I don’t want to see a repeat of last year and because the noises coming out of the club, and PW himself have suggested that deals are there to be done. It’s not easy I appreciate, but neither is it as if everything has to suddenly happen on January 1st. They have had months to identify targets and prepare bids.

You think we ‘may get a couple of loans and maybe a signing...’. We agree! That’s all I’m hoping and suggesting. Just hope whoever comes in this time will be fitter and have more impact than some of those who joined in the summer.
    But that is just it! We don't know what's going on! Your posted suggests you believe what's been printed!

Warne's comments about last January was that he was trying to sign players that were "better than what he had" but maybe he should have signed a couple to add depth to the squad to provide options even if they were no better than existing players.

So your disappointed that unverified media reports suggest the club is going to sign players? mm.

Warne has been reported as having players in mind, he also caveated that by saying getting a deal over the line is a different matter, not sure he definitely said he would sign players though no doubt he wants to.

Indeed his last remarks as printed in the DET "We are so close with a couple and I am really confident that we will get at least two in. At the top end of the pitch is where we need it. Until all the boxes are ticked you just can't make it happen. That's the truth."

They might have had months to identify targets and prepare bids, but things change over time - a player comes into form and either the club now wants to keep him or clubs in a higher division and able to pay higher wages and/or transfer fees are now interested. Or a club has injuries and wants to keep the target player as back up, there are all sorts of reasons as to why a deal for a target player doesn't happen no matter how much preparation is done.

It is odd why many deals seem only to happen towards the end of the transfer window, but again there are a number of factors that can come into play, a player and/or his agent may wait before accepting an offer hoping a another club will come in. A club may not release a player until they have signed a replacement or a player eventually signed was no 4 on the list and the club failed to sign the previous 3.

Its not just some of Warne's signings that have had injury or form issues!! A number of players that were here before him have been injured or failed to perform as well as might be expected.
    Last edited by swaledale; 10-01-2024 at 05:45 PM.

No...I said I’ll be disappointed if we don’t manage to strengthen in this window, because we’ve been told that PW recognised both the mistake he made last time around and the success of such strengthening by the clubs who eventually won promotion last season.

The thread is about the January window. Yes, there’s a great deal of rumour and conjecture, always has been, and yes some sources are mere ‘clickbait’, but in amongst the rumour is some truth and some of these rumours have been ‘running’ for a while now.

Reasons we might not get a player we want:

1. He gets injured (there are those who might think that would ensure we snap them up )

2. He hits form and his club decide to keep him

3. the club is a promotion rival and won't sell to us

4. Another club comes in offering a higher fee and/or wages than we are allowed/can afford to pay

5. player decides he doesn't want to come to Derby

There may be more than the 5 I've listed but the 5 do show it's not down to PW or the recruitment team. There are a lot of external factors affecting player movement between clubs.

Kwaku Oduroh is back early from his loan spell at Rochdale. Played in 20 of their 28 League games so far this season. Loan terminated early (was a season long loan) by Rochdale. Why? Is he injured? Can't they afford his wages? Have they found better? Has he been absolute pants for them?

I wonder if there's an Omar Mascerall type youngster at a prem club looking to get some senior minutes on the pitch that we could pinch for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I wonder if there's an Omar Mascerall type youngster at a prem club looking to get some senior minutes on the pitch that we could pinch for the rest of the season.
    Now you’re talking! Exactly the sort of addition we need, or a Leon Osman (sorry GP) who I think, twenty years ago, had played just half a dozen times for Everton and who no one had heard of before he joined us and changed our season. Correspondingly, at the other end of the age spectrum, an Ian Taylor, who’d been there, seen it, done it, would be perfect. Wonder why we used to be able to find such signings but seem unable to now.

Now you’re talking! Exactly the sort of addition we need, or a Leon Osman (sorry GP) who I think, twenty years ago, had played just half a dozen times for Everton and who no one had heard of before he joined us and changed our season. Correspondingly, at the other end of the age spectrum, an Ian Taylor, who’d been there, seen it, done it, would be perfect. Wonder why we used to be able to find such signings but seem unable to now.
    Were more likely to get Richard Osman

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Were more likely to get Richard Osman
    ... or Marie

No...I said I’ll be disappointed if we don’t manage to strengthen in this window, because we’ve been told that PW recognised both the mistake he made last time around and the success of such strengthening by the clubs who eventually won promotion last season.

The thread is about the January window. Yes, there’s a great deal of rumour and conjecture, always has been, and yes some sources are mere ‘clickbait’, but in amongst the rumour is some truth and some of these rumours have been ‘running’ for a while now.
    No you've read in the media that Warne said that, but with as evidenced in his directly quoted comments in my last post that he is confident but actually the deals he wants still might not happen.

You constantly refer back to his comments about not strengthening in the last January window, yet if you read what he says or more accurately what he has been reported as saying, his "mistake" as he calls it was not getting in players that were possibly not better than what he had, as a result of which he had no depth in the squad.

Yet last January, Derby couldn't pay a transfer fee, so unless they did a deal with a club on a player with 6 months left on their contract, was only able to get in loans and again presumably were dependant upon loans where the parent club didn't want a substantial loan fee or didn't want the majority of that loan players wages paid by Derby. In reality therefore, irrespective of what Warne said, how exactly could derby have strengthened the squad significantly last January as other clubs did or were not under Derby's EFL imposed financial restrictions?

I'm not "getting at you" I just don't see, barring a couple more loans, how Warne could have done much business last year.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)