+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: January window.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    What I don't get from PW's usual comments on the young uns is his "not wanting to destroy their confidence". Surely, constantly getting in the squad and not being used isn't going to build any confidence. Imagine being a striker on the bench, 1-0 down with 10 minutes plus stoppage time to go and the gaffer subs a defender on... real confidence builder that. A striker has to learn to get clattered, or not get any ball, or balls up a chance... sooner or later they have to learn that on the pitch and, if they are made of the "right stuff" they will learn those lessons. Leaving them on the bench won't ever help them, IMO.
    Our own Eiran Cashin is the classic recent example of ‘blooding’ a youngster and reaping the benefit. Slightly less than two years ago, if memory serves, circumstances determined that Cash was called into the squad to make his full starting debut against Peterborough in what was seen as a must win match. He was magnificent that day as we won courtesy of a goal from another ‘youngster’.
    Hard to believe it was (just) less than two years ago and that EC has since been a virtual ever present and is now the most valuable asset we have.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Our own Eiran Cashin is the classic recent example of ‘blooding’ a youngster and reaping the benefit. Slightly less than two years ago, if memory serves, circumstances determined that Cash was called into the squad to make his full starting debut against Peterborough in what was seen as a must win match. He was magnificent that day as we won courtesy of a goal from another ‘youngster’.
    Hard to believe it was (just) less than two years ago and that EC has since been a virtual ever present and is now the most valuable asset we have.
    I think the ground is possibly a bit more valuable than Cashin, assuming we have it, that is. It might be hived off in another Clowes company.

Just looked at lineups for that game. We had Tom Lawrence still, for half of it. Somehow that seems longer ago than 2 years. Where is he now.

For those who love word games, they started Fuchs, Benda and Kent.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Just looked at lineups for that game. We had Tom Lawrence still, for half of it. Somehow that seems longer ago than 2 years. Where is he now.

For those who love word games, they started Fuchs, Benda and Kent.....
    Lawrence is at Glasgow Rangers though he has spent most of this season injured. mm another stellar purchase who was going to make all the difference!!

I think the ground is possibly a bit more valuable than Cashin, assuming we have it, that is. It might be hived off in another Clowes company.
    Clowes repaid the £22 million loan, before he acquired the club, until we see the full accounts, its difficult to se what company owns the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Clowes repaid the £22 million loan, before he acquired the club, until we see the full accounts, its difficult to se what company owns the ground.
    Exactly my point

Exactly my point
    The payment of that sum wasn't mentioned in the report of the "£35 million Clowes paid to buy the club" which is why on the other thread I mentioned it and pointed out that merely purchasing the club and ground had cost Clowes at least £55 million.

A fact that escaped a certain forum member who was expressing the view that 18 months on from admin and with 27K plus attendances Derby "must" be able to afford transfer fees of £500K!!

Clowes quietly purchased the ground before he then made a bid for the club. My reading of that is that he had doubts about Kirchner and wanted to secure the ground, because without that there is no club or at the very least its difficult to operate.

I'd say its probable its in a separate company, it provides a degree of security should his venture of football club ownership prove to be a way of making a small fortune from the large one he had previously.

It does seem very odd, putting them on to get some match experience is as you say a way of developing them and adding something different to the team. There is an old saying that if they are good enough then they are old enough.
    Brian Clough?

I'd say its probable its in a separate company, it provides a degree of security should his venture of football club ownership prove to be a way of making a small fortune from the large one he had previously.
    According to a Google search I did, Pride Park Stadium is owned by Clowes Developments (UK) Ltd.
    Derby County FC is the "Operator".

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    According to a Google search I did, Pride Park Stadium is owned by Clowes Developments (UK) Ltd.
    Derby County FC is the "Operator".
    That would make sense. Because Morris bought the stadium via his then-new company Gellaw Newco 202 in June 2018, for £81 million. Clowes Developments (UK) bought the ground on 17 June 2022.

Clowes then issued an interim loan on 24 June 2022 to enable the club to prepare for the new season, whilst he submitted a formal bid for the club itself.

I can't recall whether it was Clough Snr who said that, sounds like something he would say. I do remember Alan Hansen saying that "you never win anything with kids" or similar, describing that young Man Utd team, composed largely of young players from Utd's academy. About the last team actually developed by Utd, rather than expensive transfers in which has been their modus operandi since to no great success.

One does wonder why an injury prone 22 year old loanee, is preferred over a 21 year old home grown player who has shown promise. Still maybe necessity will force Warne's hand.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)