+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: January Transfers & Rumours

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    If anything it’s the opposite I’d say, we’re good for proven, experienced players (with the possible exception of centre back), but could do with a couple more younger ones in we can develop but might be happy with a place on the bench at first. Particularly in midfield where we have Bostock, O’Brien, Gosling (for now) and Palmer (eventually), but no younger option at all really.
    Good point, but I would think this January we need players that can step in this season and the summer would be the time to bring in younger or less experienced players. It doesn't need to be one or the other, but if we want to push for promotion we need the thin areas of the squad strengthening with people that can step in this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    Good point, but I would think this January we need players that can step in this season and the summer would be the time to bring in younger or less experienced players. It doesn't need to be one or the other, but if we want to push for promotion we need the thin areas of the squad strengthening with people that can step in this season.
    Bringing through young players is particularly difficult if you're upwardly mobile as a club, especially if you're chasing successive promotions. If we'd signed some only-ready-for-the-bench young players at the start of last season, they'd be chasing something like "excellent NL player standard" to get into our team as a minimum. And then we get promoted, and the target becomes "excellent L2 player standard". Let's say the player succeeded and reached "excellent NL player standard"... their place in the squad won't have changed, and they'll need the potential to go further still, but without the first team experience.

I guess the good thing with young players with potential on sensible wages is you can always move them on relatively easily if the club's growth outstrips theirs... there's going to be demand at the level below, for free transfers at least.

The calculation changes a bit once you reach stability and expect to be playing at the same level for more than one season.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    If anything it’s the opposite I’d say, we’re good for proven, experienced players (with the possible exception of centre back), but could do with a couple more younger ones in we can develop but might be happy with a place on the bench at first. Particularly in midfield where we have Bostock, O’Brien, Gosling (for now) and Palmer (eventually), but no younger option at all really.
    I suspect we need something in-between Palmer and Cisse

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I suspect we need something in-between Palmer and Cisse
    We do have Bajrami, but heaven knows when we’ll see him again. With his contract up in the summer you have to wonder if we will actually ever see him again.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    We do have Bajrami, but heaven knows when we’ll see him again. With his contract up in the summer you have to wonder if we will actually ever see him again.
    One thing I think was against Bajrami was his physical presence, apparently he has significantly bulked up. I suspect we'd be offering both Baj and Scott new deals

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    One thing I think was against Bajrami was his physical presence, apparently he has significantly bulked up. I suspect we'd be offering both Baj and Scott new deals
    I would certainly hope they give Scott a new contract, as I believe they contributed to his injury by not taking him off after he first went down.

If the club did contribute to his injury, CS is certainly not holding any grudges against the club, with his attitude, after listening to LW comments at last night's fans forum.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I would certainly hope they give Scott a new contract, as I believe they contributed to his injury by not taking him off after he first went down.
    Or Scott said he’d try and run it off. No one will know what conversation happened between player and physio.

Sports people know the risks associated with any given sport and have to accept it. Just as a number of occupations have hazards inherently linked with them.

A CB with better organisational skills or at least recovery pace would make a world of difference, not convinced by Brindley as a CB at all.

After a shaky start to the season at RCB thought he was very impressive and assured in the middle when he replaced Baldwin!

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast