+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: John Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Mainlanddee View Post
    how Norway brought heat pumps in from the cold https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...s-cold-heating
    Thanks Mainladdee. Found the article very interesting. There were some interesting explanations given about why it is extensively used in Norway. I hope that there is some way of getting a comparative cost per kwhr for electricity. The Norwegians seem to have extensive inexpensive hydro electric power which can run the fans and keep the system working. They also have very well insulated buildings. I think these two factors play a significant role in making heat pumps work.
    I just replaced my combi boiler. For about £2000. Discussed a heat pump option. Would need to replace the entire radiator system and the cost of the system seemed to be £10k plus, plus all the disruption of the radiators ot being exact same sizes as the existing ones. There is also the point made that you need electricity to make the system work. Not sure the comparative amounts of electricity needed to run a gas fired central heating system compared with heat pump system. Think it should be quantified because if you take out gas as a heating system then how much more electricity do you need to replace it as a direct heat source because heat pumps will not be able to be fitted to many homes.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Thanks Mainladdee. Found the article very interesting. There were some interesting explanations given about why it is extensively used in Norway. I hope that there is some way of getting a comparative cost per kwhr for electricity. The Norwegians seem to have extensive inexpensive hydro electric power which can run the fans and keep the system working. They also have very well insulated buildings. I think these two factors play a significant role in making heat pumps work.
    I just replaced my combi boiler. For about £2000. Discussed a heat pump option. Would need to replace the entire radiator system and the cost of the system seemed to be £10k plus, plus all the disruption of the radiators ot being exact same sizes as the existing ones. There is also the point made that you need electricity to make the system work. Not sure the comparative amounts of electricity needed to run a gas fired central heating system compared with heat pump system. Think it should be quantified because if you take out gas as a heating system then how much more electricity do you need to replace it as a direct heat source because heat pumps will not be able to be fitted to many homes.
    Definitely think heat pump would be more suitable for new build homes , but they shouldn't be compulsory though , was just trying to point out the difference in reporting on these issues , you just never know who or what is behind these articles, eg different lobbing groups

Quote Originally Posted by Mainlanddee View Post
    Definitely think heat pump would be more suitable for new build homes , but they shouldn't be compulsory though , was just trying to point out the difference in reporting on these issues , you just never know who or what is behind these articles, eg different lobbing groups
    That's why I like this forum. Dees chatting to Dees seems to me should be a truthful way of chatting about stuff. I get the banter and some of it is really funny but I think disagreeing with ideas us the key.
    Often there are Dees who work in sectors of the economy that are being discussed. Trouble is the oil and gas industry seem to me to be very important and they don't seem to have any friends. Someone said Scotland lost coal mines and nuclear plant and coal fired power stations more quickly than the rest of Britain. All done because, I think, our parliament wanted to do it.
    Don't want us to dash down some new power source system without some discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dens Park Dynamo View Post
    Num1adi never once said in this thread that the SNP were doing a wonderful job. Yet again more nonsense spouted by you on this forum.
    He said that this place is full of Tory ****ers which means that he must think that the SNP controlled Scottish Government is doing a wonderful job running Scotland now aided by the useless Green MSPs.

That's why I like this forum. Dees chatting to Dees seems to me should be a truthful way of chatting about stuff. I get the banter and some of it is really funny but I think disagreeing with ideas us the key.
    Often there are Dees who work in sectors of the economy that are being discussed. Trouble is the oil and gas industry seem to me to be very important and they don't seem to have any friends. Someone said Scotland lost coal mines and nuclear plant and coal fired power stations more quickly than the rest of Britain. All done because, I think, our parliament wanted to do it.
    Don't want us to dash down some new power source system without some discussion.
    West Highland Housing Association built about a dozen new houses in Bowmore, Isle of Islay around 2007.
    Each house was heated by a ground source heating pump which was supposed to result in cheaper heating bills despite the cost of using electricity to pump the heat from underground.
    However there was one major problem.
    The company who installed the ground source heating system on behalf of West Highland Housing Association managed to make a hash of installing the system which resulted in the houses being cold in the winter months and boiling hot during the summer months.
    This fiasco was hushed up.
    I found out about it because my next door neighbour at the time was an electrician and his company was awarded the contract to fix the ground source heating system so that it worked at the correct time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    West Highland Housing Association built about a dozen new houses in Bowmore, Isle of Islay around 2007.
    Each house was heated by a ground source heating pump which was supposed to result in cheaper heating bills despite the cost of using electricity to pump the heat from underground.
    However there was one major problem.
    The company who installed the ground source heating system on behalf of West Highland Housing Association managed to make a hash of installing the system which resulted in the houses being cold in the winter months and boiling hot during the summer months.
    This fiasco was hushed up.
    I found out about it because my next door neighbour at the time was an electrician and his company was awarded the contract to fix the ground source heating system so that it worked at the correct time of the year.
    It would be interesting if you could find out how the costs of using the system compare with todays costs. Also if the system has been replaced.

It would be interesting if you could find out how the costs of using the system compare with todays costs. Also if the system has been replaced.
    It is difficult to obtain this information.
    Gas is quoted as around 3p per KW whereas electric heating such as storage heaters are probably about 15p per KW.
    However electric storage heaters emit heat throughout the day whereas radiators heated by a gas fired system only emit heat when the gas fired heating system is on.
    In my opinion the heat in the radiators in an oil fired heating system is not a patch on the heat from radiators in a gas fired heating system and I have experience of both types of heating systems.
    In my opinion there are too many new fangled heating systems which have not been fully investigated to find out their true costs compared to the current electric, gas and oil fired heating systems.
    Recently the so called climate change ‘experts’ have been pushing for householders to rip out their gas fired boiler and replace it with a hydrogen powered boiler.
    However it has since been discovered that it is more expensive to run a hydrogen powered boiler than a gas fired boiler..
    Combi boilers are the most efficient and cost effective gas fired boilers as they only heat the water when it is required.
    However there is one minor flaw for people living in areas which are prone to power cuts due to bad weather.
    An ordinary gas boiler heats a hot water tank which gives a supply of hot water which can be used during power cuts while a combi boiler does not have this facility.

He said that this place is full of Tory ****ers which means that he must think that the SNP controlled Scottish Government is doing a wonderful job running Scotland now aided by the useless Green MSPs.
    It means nothing of the sort. Yet again you spout drivel. Just because he said that this place was full of Tory wa.....s does not equate to him thinking that the SNP are doing a wonderful job. Ok i am calling you a Tory W....r Are you telling me i think the SNP are doing a wonderful job?

Quote Originally Posted by Dens Park Dynamo View Post
    It means nothing of the sort. Yet again you spout drivel. Just because he said that this place was full of Tory wa.....s does not equate to him thinking that the SNP are doing a wonderful job. Ok i am calling you a Tory W....r Are you telling me i think the SNP are doing a wonderful job?
    I am proud to be a Conservative and Unionist voter.

I am proud to be a Conservative and Unionist voter.
    Tory prick 😂

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)