+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. AFC Wimbledon 25.11.23 [EFL L2]

We need to go up sooner than later.
    Luke didn't take three seasons before going up, he did it in one.
    So fatty thinks luke should be questioned on team selection 🤔 that would go down well, he's not picking Slocombe for the sake of it, he knows more about what's needed than everyone on here put together.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Agreed on all counts.
    To be up there and not go for it would be an absolute waste of an opportunity. Deal with whether it is too soon or not if we are fortunate enough to get there.
    Yes.
    Whilst it could be a struggle in L1 if we went up 'too soon', looking at some of the clubs currently in L1 you'd still have to fancy us to do better than four other teams. Five L1 clubs are currently averaging under 6k, so no real excuse for not being able to compete. The sides that have just gone up are mostly doing alright.

Seeing teams like Grimsby, Tranmere, Doncaster and Walsall battling against the drop to non-league should serve as a reminder that there is the potential for us to end up back in that position if we got too comfy at this level.

Promotion this season isn't a must, but the opportunity won't always present itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    I understand what you are saying here but there is another side to it.
    I don't think Macca, Jodi, Dan (and Matty if he wasn't injured) would be very happy at another season in League 2.
    Macca has his Jamie Vardy type dream, Dan has suggested that he still hopes to play in the Premier League and Jodi is a player who could obviously play a couple of levels higher.
    Not getting promoted is likely to lead to at least 2 of those moving on. And if they do, would Luke still want another season in the 4th tier?
    Perhaps we need a big FA cup run to boost the coffers.
    Agree with this. I can fully understand those who say we don’t need to get promoted this season, but if we don’t I don’t see the likes of Langstaff, Crowley, Jones or probably Bostock playing in League 2 next season. That means we’ll have to replace pretty much the entire team to challenge next season. Probably Luke as well if he moves on.

This season is our best chance.

Think that players know we improve them, many were going nowhere or even backwards before we picked them up. Hope/believe that they know this and act accorindly.

That is a good point, our approach and our coaches do indeed improve players in a seemingly harmonious and positive environment.

Do not the contract length of Bostock but if Langstaff, Crowley and Jones or left to avoid playing in League One meaning we have to replace pretty much the entire team to challenge next season then we are getting paid! If Langstaff goes alone at some point this season we are getting seriously paid like we haven't for decades. That will help replace and find what we need to continue to progress.

Promotion is the aim every season, the only timeline for it is from the fans not the owners. That is key.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    Promotion is the aim every season, the only timeline for it is from the fans not the owners. That is key.
    Absolutely.

Fans will always want promotion now, such is their nature.

The problems arise, as we've seen multiple times in the past, when owners start thinking like fans, making emotional decisions rather than strategic ones. That's not to say the current owners won't take the calculated gamble of strengthening the team a little in January - indeed they've already indicated that they will be investing - but I'm sure they won't be breaking the bank or staking everything on promotion, as others have done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Absolutely.

Fans will always want promotion now, such is their nature.

The problems arise, as we've seen multiple times in the past, when owners start thinking like fans, making emotional decisions rather than strategic ones. That's not to say the current owners won't take the calculated gamble of strengthening the team a little in January - indeed they've already indicated that they will be investing - but I'm sure they won't be breaking the bank or staking everything on promotion, as others have done in the past.
    I doubt very much that our current owners would ever act in an irresponsible way, I think we all agree on that. And for the first time in a very long time we are in a nice place across all aspects of the club thanks to their measured stewardship, however, if we can maintain a position close to where we are now I would consider pushing for promotion a strategic not an emotional move (bigger gates (probably), more TV opportunities (?) a bigger cut from the Prem pot). We have more than half a team that could hold it's own in L1 today! We don't have to go mental with the cheque book, all we need is the OK from the board for the recruiting team to expand their search parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    I understand what you are saying here but there is another side to it.
    I don't think Macca, Jodi, Dan (and Matty if he wasn't injured) would be very happy at another season in League 2.
    Macca has his Jamie Vardy type dream, Dan has suggested that he still hopes to play in the Premier League and Jodi is a player who could obviously play a couple of levels higher.
    Not getting promoted is likely to lead to at least 2 of those moving on. And if they do, would Luke still want another season in the 4th tier?
    Perhaps we need a big FA cup run to boost the coffers.
    If they want to leave, we wish them well, replace them and the work continues.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    I doubt very much that our current owners would ever act in an irresponsible way, I think we all agree on that. And for the first time in a very long time we are in a nice place across all aspects of the club thanks to their measured stewardship, however, if we can maintain a position close to where we are now I would consider pushing for promotion a strategic not an emotional move (bigger gates (probably), more TV opportunities (?) a bigger cut from the Prem pot). We have more than half a team that could hold it's own in L1 today! We don't have to go mental with the cheque book, all we need is the OK from the board for the recruiting team to expand their search parameters.
    If Notts are still sniffing around the top 7 in January it makes absolute perfect business sense to invest as the rewards could be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    Do not the contract length of Bostock but if Langstaff, Crowley and Jones or left to avoid playing in League One meaning we have to replace pretty much the entire team to challenge next season then we are getting paid!
    Can we stick to English please Daniel?

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast