+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terry Venables

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Off topic and the complete opposite of the Terry Venables autograph story above - I remember as a young kid in 1960, when England played South Africa at Trent Bridge, standing outside the TBI waiting to get Freddie Trueman's autograph. When he came out he told me to F*** Off!
    Ha ha he did exactly the same to me. I called him Mr Trueman and was polite but he was well known for not signing many autographs. In fact half the Yorkshire team were like it (not swearing though). Hampshire, Padgett, Binks and Close were difficult autographs to get.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Off topic and the complete opposite of the Terry Venables autograph story above - I remember as a young kid in 1960, when England played South Africa at Trent Bridge, standing outside the TBI waiting to get Freddie Trueman's autograph. When he came out he told me to F*** Off!
    That's a pleasant greeting in Yorkshire!

I had a similar experience with Trueman. He was the hardest autograph to acquire in those days. Managed to get him eventually outside a hotel in Nottingham. Colin Cowdrey, on the other hand, would make you queue up in an orderly fashion, but sign for everyone. Happy days autograph hunting at the cricket

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... who cannot forget the look on TV's face when Notts equalised (Donno') that Sunday afternoon ...
    It was actually to put us 1-0 up. I watched from exactly in line behind it.

We celebrated well past half time!

Terrific game.

RIP El Tel.

He never played against us but the first time he faced us as a manager was when he was in charge of Crystal Palace on 10th December 1977. He would have signed and given a league debut to Rachid Harkouk, my favourite player of the Sirrel era.

RIP

You must have been stood next to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Ha ha he did exactly the same to me. I called him Mr Trueman and was polite but he was well known for not signing many autographs. In fact half the Yorkshire team were like it (not swearing though). Hampshire, Padgett, Binks and Close were difficult autographs to get.
    With him being from Yorkshire, was it possible he couldn't reed or right?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    It was actually to put us 1-0 up. I watched from exactly in line behind it.

We celebrated well past half time!

Terrific game.

RIP El Tel.
    Anyone remember the abuse we gave Jimmy Hill when he walked past the Notts fans before the game? I think it was implied that he liked to masterbate a lot, but good ole Jimmy just kept on smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    With him being from Yorkshire, was it possible he couldn't reed or right?
    You are on thin ice mate Denise is a Yorkshire lass��
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-11-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code error

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marshall View Post
    I had a similar experience with Trueman. He was the hardest autograph to acquire in those days. Managed to get him eventually outside a hotel in Nottingham. Colin Cowdrey, on the other hand, would make you queue up in an orderly fashion, but sign for everyone. Happy days autograph hunting at the cricket
    Brian Statham and Geoff Boycott used to make you queue but Statham would stop signing if anyone went back for a second signature.
    We used to find out which hotel the team stayed in over the weekend and then go down their Sunday morning and wait for the players going to the golf course to get their autographs. The test sides and Yorkshire stayed at the old Black Boy (now where Primark stands) and the rest at the Flying Horse. Happy Days.
    Last edited by i961pie; 27-11-2023 at 05:49 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast