+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday thread: Port Vale v Rams

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Now don’t be getting cocky, Swale. Not sure who the ‘tinternet idiots’ are that you refer to...but four wins on the bounce doesn’t make a season.
    It may be that you’re being proved right and wouldn’t that be lovely? But we’ve been here before. Last season we saw a run start about this time of year that carried on, just about, till the end of Jan...and then we all know what happened.
    Hopefully you’ll be proved right and Warne will have learned his lesson from last January and be able to strengthen properly in the forthcoming window with what we need i.e. striker, midfield enforcer and leader.
    Fingers crossed indeed, then we’ll all be smiling.
    Not you rA, a tendency to be pessimistic but not a tinternet idiot (unless its you on DCFC Fans posting *******s!!

Those idiots found on every forum, social media and even the comments in the DET! After the last victory I was still reading ****s saying, sack Warne no chance of promotion with him in charge etc. etc.

Oh I'm not getting too excited, just as I don't slash my wrists when we lose! I think there are two differences from last season - we are not in any cup competition, so no extra games to increase player fatigue and injuries. I actually think the rest days on international weekends help us in recovery, so that issue of running out of steam should not be a big issue.

The second is that there are no stand out teams running away with the league as Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheff Wed did, in fact all teams seem to be inconsistent and drop pts unexpectedly. That means we aren't just chasing a play off place, but realistically could get into a top 2 place.

I know what Warne said about "mistakes" but in reality he had few options, couldn't pay a fee and presumably fees on loans were restricted, so really can't see what he could have done, other than bring in 2 or 3 average players to make up numbers and allow players to be rested. That might have worked, it might not.

I'll be interested to see what business he does this time, still think its a tricky window to get a quality player, other than perhaps a loan.

But who knows? I've said since September that I'm confident this team can be top 6 come May, yes a couple of judicious signings in January plus some luck with injuries will help with that.

Now watch us cock it up over the festive period!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I won't, don't see him as the wonder kid or irreplaceable, and those funds could be better used.
    I don’t see him as either of those things either, but he is as MA describes imo, and I’m not confident that PW could replace him with anyone as reliable in January. I’d only consider selling if he could be loaned straight back for the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not you rA, a tendency to be pessimistic but not a tinternet idiot (unless its you on DCFC Fans posting *******s!!

Those idiots found on every forum, social media and even the comments in the DET! After the last victory I was still reading ****s saying, sack Warne no chance of promotion with him in charge etc. etc.

Oh I'm not getting too excited, just as I don't slash my wrists when we lose! I think there are two differences from last season - we are not in any cup competition, so no extra games to increase player fatigue and injuries. I actually think the rest days on international weekends help us in recovery, so that issue of running out of steam should not be a big issue.

The second is that there are no stand out teams running away with the league as Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheff Wed did, in fact all teams seem to be inconsistent and drop pts unexpectedly. That means we aren't just chasing a play off place, but realistically could get into a top 2 place.

I know what Warne said about "mistakes" but in reality he had few options, couldn't pay a fee and presumably fees on loans were restricted, so really can't see what he could have done, other than bring in 2 or 3 average players to make up numbers and allow players to be rested. That might have worked, it might not.

I'll be interested to see what business he does this time, still think its a tricky window to get a quality player, other than perhaps a loan.

But who knows? I've said since September that I'm confident this team can be top 6 come May, yes a couple of judicious signings in January plus some luck with injuries will help with that.

Now watch us cock it up over the festive period!!
    No, not me...I only write ‘b*******’ on here!

We are actually still in the BSM Cup...though I think we could do without it...and Warne himself said he made a mistake last January in thinking the existing squad had enough to succeed without significant additions.

I agree, it is a tricky time to strengthen and it’ll be interesting to see what he comes up with. Don’t think I’m ever a ‘wrist slasher’ - it’s only football at the end of the day - but I think many supporters are slightly ‘scarred’ by the way in which our well founded optimism collapsed away in the last third of last season. If he can make a couple of appropriate additions and not lose players I’ll share your optimism completely.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 29-11-2023 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I won't, don't see him as the wonder kid or irreplaceable, and those funds could be better used.
    The big worry there is that the obvious replacement is Sonny Bradley who still looks like an accident waiting to happen when the ball is anywhere near him. He may improve with game time but he’s very much on my Mick Coop list at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    No, not me...I only write ‘b*******’ on here!

We are actually still in the BSM Cup...though I think we could do without it...and Warne himself said he made a mistake last January in thinking the existing squad had enough to succeed without significant additions.

I agree, it is a tricky time to strengthen and it’ll be interesting to see what he comes up with. Don’t think I’m ever a ‘wrist slasher’ - it’s only football at the end of the day - but I think many supporters are slightly ‘scarred’ by the way in which our well founded optimism collapsed away in the last third of last season. If he can make a couple of appropriate additions and not lose players I’ll share your optimism completely.
    Context rA context! Warne did say that, but he also said he didn't think it worth signing players just to sit on the subs bench. He wanted to sign players equal to or better than were in the squad already.

Add to that without the ability to pay either a fee (there are few if any quality or even half decent free transfers in Jan) or wages that might tempt a player I really couldn't see what he could have done differently. Other than sign 2 or 3 "journeymen" to provide cover for the squad. That might have worked or it may just have been a waste of money.

We are then in the same dilemma this January albeit, this time Derby can pay a fee and offer wages that might prise a player from another club that can add a bit of quality or maybe there is a loan player out there who can step into the first team?

We shall see.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)