+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Crawley Town FC 28.11.23 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Bit of calamity in the first half
    The consensus is that we were a bit ropey in the first half last night, and yet it occurred to me today that back in the Steve Thompson days our first half performance would probably have been our best of the season, and I don't even think that's an exaggeration for comic effect!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The consensus is that we were a bit ropey in the first half last night, and yet it occurred to me today that back in the Steve Thompson days our first half performance would probably have been our best of the season, and I don't even think that's an exaggeration for comic effect!
    The important thing is we are getting entertained. As much as I want to see us promoted I’m happy to just enjoy this season without the constant feeling we need to get out of this league like the previous seasons.
    You’re right on Thompson and others too come to mind too, don’t think I want a manager again trying to grind out a 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    The important thing is we are getting entertained.
    Just had a glance at the tables, and anyone who has been to all of our 20 league games would have seen 78 goals, which I think is more than any other club in the top four divisions. A few too many of them have been scored against us, but give me a 4-3 win over a 1-0 win any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Just had a glance at the tables, and anyone who has been to all of our 20 league games would have seen 78 goals, which I think is more than any other club in the top four divisions. A few too many of them have been scored against us, but give me a 4-3 win over a 1-0 win any day.
    As long as we get the 3 points, thats all that matters. Its not much use in playing out of this world and getting beat every week...

The first half was ropey, it definitely had too many dodgy moments but it was nothing like a Steve Thompson days, bad or good! Thank goodness.

matt_magpie highlights a good and salient point, it is so easy to forget when supporting a team from birth that football and sport in general is a form of entertainment. I haven't seen many if any complaints on that score this season. Which is refreshing especially when it followed a simply magical season. Steady progression for 4/5 years now.

Winning games will always be the most important thing to a football supporter as it should be but our attendances wouldn't be anywhere near where they are currently at home and away if we were regularly grinding out 1-0 wins. Entertainment is key, and it is down to our new possession based attacking football. These incredible attendances at this level, if maintained, could transform the club to another level in the long term.

No desperation, no panic, no short term focus. No rollercoaster. Just progression and a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    The first half was ropey, it definitely had too many dodgy moments but it was nothing like a Steve Thompson days, bad or good! Thank goodness.

matt_magpie highlights a good and salient point, it is so easy to forget when supporting a team from birth that football and sport in general is a form of entertainment. I haven't seen many if any complaints on that score this season. Which is refreshing especially when it followed a simply magical season. Steady progression for 4/5 years now.

Winning games will always be the most important thing to a football supporter as it should be but our attendances wouldn't be anywhere near where they are currently at home and away if we were regularly grinding out 1-0 wins. Entertainment is key, and it is down to our new possession based attacking football. These incredible attendances at this level, if maintained, could transform the club to another level in the long term.

No desperation, no panic, no short term focus. No rollercoaster. Just progression and a plan.
    Steve Thompson never got us relegated though. He did ok finishing around 8th with a team of ragamuffins..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Steve Thompson never got us relegated though. He did ok finishing around 8th with a team of ragamuffins..
    We finished 13th, then in the following season we had got 11 points from 11 games when he was sacked. We finished 21st that season.

That said, I don't think he did too bad under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Steve Thompson got us relegated from League One, finishing bottom, with several players who demonstrated, before and afterwards, that they were capable of performing far better. Steve Finnan for one. Thompson's football was putrid to watch, and he wasn't the only former Notts manager who seemed to forget that people go to football matches to be entertained.

I'll grant you that few (if any) fans complained about the entertainment value of Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce's teams, despite both managers preferring a direct(ish) style, but right now we're pretty much achieving the Holy Grail: fantastically attractive football that's also winning a very high percentage of games.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Steve Thompson got us relegated from League One, finishing bottom, with several players who demonstrated, before and afterwards, that they were capable of performing far better. Steve Finnan for one. Thompson's football was putrid to watch, and he wasn't the only former Notts manager who seemed to forget that people go to football matches to be entertained.

I'll grant you that few (if any) fans complained about the entertainment value of Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce's teams, despite both managers preferring a direct(ish) style, but right now we're pretty much achieving the Holy Grail: fantastically attractive football that's also winning a very high percentage of games.
    Neil was once asked what type of football will you bring - Neil said winning football.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast