+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Times Article on Notts' Short Corners

Times Article on Notts' Short Corners

It seems like LW might know what he's talking about after all.

It certainly opens up a different perspective on why we take short corners...

A fantastic article and fascinating insight thank you for bringing it to peoples attention.

As the articles sub-title says Forget ‘put it in the mixer’.

Well worth a read especially for anyone who is still unsure about why we continue to go short.

A very interesting article also interesting that Mansfield for instance with all their 6ft plus monsters have only scored 1 more goal from corners (if we don't use LW's words on corners) which probably backs up his claims given the size of our squad.
    LW is a very progressive Coach and seems in front of the curve when it comes to the modern game ,watching all the League 1 & 2 goals on Sunday the largest percentage of goals were from low crosses and very similar to the majority of our goals.
    With the new breed of Coaches coming through and being taught which in turn they are coaching the next generations to play possession based football in 5-10 years time the majority of teams in Division 2 will play Notts style of play rather than us being in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    A very interesting article also interesting that Mansfield for instance with all their 6ft plus monsters have only scored 1 more goal from corners (if we don't use LW's words on corners) which probably backs up his claims given the size of our squad.
    LW is a very progressive Coach and seems in front of the curve when it comes to the modern game ,watching all the League 1 & 2 goals on Sunday the largest percentage of goals were from low crosses and very similar to the majority of our goals.
    With the new breed of Coaches coming through and being taught which in turn they are coaching the next generations to play possession based football in 5-10 years time the majority of teams in Division 2 will play Notts style of play rather than us being in the minority.
    We need to get out of the division quickly then.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Swale.
    I wonder if the author could do a similar piece on our poor defending?

Doubtful.

If he did an article on poor defending he would get to choose from dozens of teams who consistently defend poorly including Notts. We would likely have to share it with so many clubs.

Whereas with short corners we are leading the way, something new, something of interest for the wider footballing public.

It is going to be really uncomfortable viewing for some fans if indeed the next generation of coach's will have the majority of lower league sides playing possession based football in 5-10 years time the norm. Sounds good to me.

What a brilliant article and makes you really proud to have LW as our manager.

What's amazing to me about all of this is the amount of attention that Notts are getting from the national media in these Premier League-obsessed times. With the exception of the brief Sven era I've never known anything like it in all my years as a fan. This really is a new era in the club's history that we are experiencing.

You have to imagine LW has been in some coaching teams that have pinpointed defending corners as a way to launch attacks.

If corner takers put it in the keeper's hands or CB's head with 6 or 7 of the opposition's players close to the goalline, the better coaches are going to see that as an opportunity to exploit.

Many teams became very adept at turning defence (of corners) into rapid counter-attacks. If you've coached to do that, I think it'd be the last thing you want to inflict on yourself. So keep the ball, extend your possession and overall in-play time, and don't play into the other team's hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast