+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Outrageous Barnsley goal

Quote Originally Posted by Bradgate View Post
    anyone remember the outrageous goal scored by Ronnie at Oldham where he knocked the ball from the goalies hand and then slotted it into the net. An cold wet day with a banging hangover.
    I was there that day.

I was there with my dad.
    Very wet but what an awayday.

Although I thought the keeper went to bounce the ball and it stuck in the mud, then Ronnie tapped it in, rather than him knock it out of his hands.

But It's a long time time ago so could be mis remembering or mixing it up with another game.

The worst hangover I can remember made worse by being soaked to the skin in the freezing cold, but did manage to join in with the conga. The pitch was just mud and we won 3-0 if I remember correct, Ronnie, Seasman but I can't remember who else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradgate View Post
    The worst hangover I can remember made worse by being soaked to the skin in the freezing cold, but did manage to join in with the conga. The pitch was just mud and we won 3-0 if I remember correct, Ronnie, Seasman but I can't remember who else.

I was there.

It was p155ing down all day and a lot of us on our coach from Thurcroft went in the seats on the side near to the home end and the goal was at the other end (away end).
    My view wasn't brilliant but I thought Ronnie was behind the keeper when he went to roll it out but it stuck in the mud and RM ran 'around' him and scored into the empty net.

Went again a few seasons later for a midweek game and went on the away open end - F@CK-N freezing.
    My half-time pie was cold so broke it up and put in a cup of Bovril - improvisation at its best!

Bloody hell I'd forgotten about the congas

I think me and my Dad managed to move onto the side, somehow, in front of the main stand to try and get at least a bit of shelter from the rain.

I thought it was soft of the keeper to go down and goal should have stood, however when you think about it the keeper was actually crouched down and when your center of gravity is so low a small knock will much more easily send you over.

So on reflection I think it was a mistake by the ref to allow it. The keeper is entitled to play for time waiting pick the ball up.

If someone gives you a gentle nudge while you're standing vs while you're tying your shoelace there is a magnitude of difference in how easily you will fall over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123