+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Season So Far.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You've just surpassed yourself YN with another one of your posts that you tend not to spend too much time thinking through .

You've just perfectly described the way Stendel played , the first HC we recruited to play with a high press .
    Morais was the first who started the process.
    And as the players didn’t know the system they were playing out of position much of the time.

Stendel moved things on a degree - but it was still evolving during his time.

The system didn’t happen overnight with a flick of a switch.

But the questions remain - if there isn’t a system then ….
    Why no flat back 4?
    Why arn’t we signing wingers?
    Why continue with wingbacks?
    Why either 343 or 352 ?
    Why defenders arnt big solid lumps at the back?
    Why centre forwards arnt big solid lumps up front.
    Why goalkeepers that can pass ?
    Why central defenders that are quick and able to run forward with the ball and pass ?
    Why strikers that are also able to defend and tackle back ?

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Morais was the first who started the process.
    And as the players didn’t know the system they were playing out of position much of the time.

Stendel moved things on a degree - but it was still evolving during his time.

The system didn’t happen overnight with a flick of a switch.

But the questions remain - if there isn’t a system then ….
    Why no flat back 4?
    Why arn’t we signing wingers?
    Why continue with wingbacks?
    Why either 343 or 352 ?
    Why defenders arnt big solid lumps at the back?
    Why centre forwards arnt big solid lumps up front.
    Why goalkeepers that can pass ?
    Why central defenders that are quick and able to run forward with the ball and pass ?
    Why strikers that are also able to defend and tackle back ?
    Yeh I can see how it would take several seasons to master the art of lobbing balls from the half way line in to the opposition's penalty box whilst three meatheads close them down .

Some hours on the training ground must have gone in to launching the ball straight from the kick off and out of play deep in opposition territory .

Whilst the Dutch had Total Football apparently we should adopt Total Hoofball that made 1980's Wimbledon look like Pep's Barcelona of 10 years ago .

By the way Morais wasn't a coach , he was Mourhino's water boy but the new ownership rather naively saw Real Madrid , Chelsea and Inter Milan on his cv .

His team talk consisted of getting down on all fours and barking like a dog .

True that .

Yeh I can see how it would take several seasons to master the art of lobbing balls from the half way line in to the opposition's penalty box whilst three meatheads close them down .

Some hours on the training ground must have gone in to launching the ball straight from the kick off and out of play deep in opposition territory .

Whilst the Dutch had Total Football apparently we should adopt Total Hoofball that made 1980's Wimbledon look like Pep's Barcelona of 10 years ago .

By the way Morais wasn't a coach , he was Mourhino's water boy but the new ownership rather naively saw Real Madrid , Chelsea and Inter Milan on his cv .

His team talk consisted of getting down on all fours and barking like a dog .

True that .
    That process of ‘lobbying the ball from the halfway line’ as you put it got the club into the Championship playoffs with a squad that cost relatively nowt.

That was after years of trying to get to that position doing it the old way - only to see us bouncing between the Championship relegation zone and the 1st Division.

Patrick Cryne changed the direction of the club and started the process of what we see now.
    He knew we couldn’t compete doing it the old fashioned way - and HE TOLD US THAT on a few occasions.

The building of such a squad and system has clearly had to be started from scratch since the debacle of the Conway season.
    But it’s started.
    Although IMO it’s hit a bump in the road with the appointment of Collins.

I saw Burnley yesterday afternoon completely destroy the Blunts with a superb exhibition of longer ball and short and quick passing .

The Burnley manager despite his long career at City doesn't nail his colours to any mast .
    Very good point Animal, Burnley might be struggling in the premier league but that is because their budget determines where they shop , at the top level it is hard for them to compete but I also watched a large part of their game against the Blades & they did produce a very entertaining blend of football comprising of a mixture of long ball , short passing & plenty of pace which is a style of play I was trying to explain in a previous post , whilst Burnley might struggle to be successful in the top flight I have no doubt that if they were competing in the lower level it would do well & I would love to watch a Barnsley side attempt to play this way .

That process of ‘lobbying the ball from the halfway line’ as you put it got the club into the Championship playoffs with a squad that cost relatively nowt.

That was after years of trying to get to that position doing it the old way - only to see us bouncing between the Championship relegation zone and the 1st Division.

Patrick Cryne changed the direction of the club and started the process of what we see now.
    He knew we couldn’t compete doing it the old fashioned way - and HE TOLD US THAT on a few occasions.

The building of such a squad and system has clearly had to be started from scratch since the debacle of the Conway season.
    But it’s started.
    Although IMO it’s hit a bump in the road with the appointment of Collins.
    It seems to me that since the "high energy/ high press system--The Barnsley Way--was introduced the facts are we have become even more of a yo yo club----

2018 Relegated under Morais
    2019 Promoted under Stendel
    2020 Avoided relegation with last kick of season under Struber
    2021 Play Off Semi Finalists under Ismael
    2022 Relegated under Schopp/ Ashbagi
    2023 Play Off Finalists under Duff
    2024 Neill & Jon ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    It seems to me that since the "high energy/ high press system--The Barnsley Way--was introduced the facts are we have become even more of a yo yo club----

2018 Relegated under Morais
    2019 Promoted under Stendel
    2020 Avoided relegation with last kick of season under Struber
    2021 Play Off Semi Finalists under Ismael
    2022 Relegated under Schopp/ Ashbagi
    2023 Play Off Finalists under Duff
    2024 Neill & Jon ?
    There was a build up to the 2021 season.
    So why attempt to hairbrush the impact of Conway out of that process?
    What has Conway done that’s allowing some of our fans to now excuse him ???

There was a build up to the 2021 season.
    So why attempt to hairbrush the impact of Conway out of that process?
    What has Conway done that’s allowing some of our fans to now excuse him ???
    I'm increasingly confused Nudge.
    When did this "Barnsley Way" start ? I seem to recall the Consortium (including Parekh and Crynes) saying in the opening Press Conference that the high press was to come in and all players and coaches would follow that style to ensure continuity.

Are you now saying the Barnsley Way didn't start until Parekh took over ?

(Love the hairbrush play on words as opposed to using the air brush technique to remove something. Conway falling from your hair as you brush it--a good piece of imagery )

I'm increasingly confused Nudge.
    When did this "Barnsley Way" start ? I seem to recall the Consortium (including Parekh and Crynes) saying in the opening Press Conference that the high press was to come in and all players and coaches would follow that style to ensure continuity.

Are you now saying the Barnsley Way didn't start until Parekh took over ?

(Love the hairbrush play on words as opposed to using the air brush technique to remove something. Conway falling from your hair as you brush it--a good piece of imagery )
    What I’m saying is that I find it strange that I have to repeat that we are where we are - which includes the league we are in and the players we are able to recruit - because we had a director called Paul Conway that knocked the club off track.
    And the present leadership (which for months many supporters refused to admit exsisted) have been put into the position of having to start the process of building the team all over again.

Why supporters discussing the direction of the club and then include the Paul Conway season within that process is something I just cannot understand.
    It’s as though all the upheaval during the Conway Season never happened.

BTW - Hairbrush - spellchecker.

I think you may find it is you that keeps bringing up Conway Nudge.

So let me get this right---

Conway disrupted the development of the Barnsley Way by bringing in the tippy tappy style of Schopp/ Asbaghi.

Parekh hasn't disrupted the development of the Barnsley Way by bringing in the tippy tappy style of Collins.

By the way I think many on here spotted Conway (Arseoyle) as a wrong un way before the time you were praising him on BBS with thoughts of the riches he and the Consortium would bring.. A number on here identified him as dodgy going right back to his days at OGC Nice prior to the Consortium taking over here. .... and we were mocked and abused for doing so.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 04-12-2023 at 02:58 PM.

I think you may find it is you that keeps bringing up Conway Nudge.

So let me get this right---

Conway disrupted the development of the Barnsley Way by bringing in the tippy tappy style of Schopp/ Asbaghi.

Parekh hasn't disrupted the development of the Barnsley Way by bringing in the tippy tappy style of Collins.

By the way I think many on here spotted Conway (Arseoyle) as a wrong un way before the time you were praising him on BBS with thoughts of the riches he and the Consortium would bring.. A number on here identified him as dodgy going right back to his days at OGC Nice prior to the Consortium taking over here. .... and we were mocked and abused for doing so.
    We know why Conway brought those two HCs in - we don’t know why Neerav brought Collins in.

Some supporters were GUESSING that Lee / Conway MIGHT be bad for the club.
    Patrick Cryne didn’t think that.
    I believed Patrick.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast