+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stadium questionnaire

Stadium questionnaire

The club have sent out a questionnaire to gauge fan opinions on what they want to see at the stadium etc

some of the questions make me think, no matter what, they are building a new stadium.

Asking things like how far would you be prepared to walk to a match and what is important to you pre match etc

Asking the fans is just a PR exercise in my opinion.

Personally, i dont want to move from St James Park but i really do think its inevitable now

I get the impression with the work they are putting into possible expansion and development of SJP that if they can find ways of getting the numbers up to an acceptable level we might stay where we are.

I’d love a shiny new stadium. But I’d like to see it stay where it is. I’d prefer to see our games played elsewhere for a couple of seasons while the construction went on. It could destroy the match day economy if they moved the us out of the city. I always looked forward to match day, and the buzz around town, I wouldn’t want to see that atmosphere removed by taking 50,000+ fans (and their families) elsewhere.

That being said, if we want to grow as club, we need more capacity at our ground.

It may be a question of what do we want more?

A Stadium like Spur is gonna cost £1billion.

Making the modernisation and expansions to SJP will cost at most £500million. That's including buying and modifying Leazes Terrace & building out the Gallowgate end over the Metro.

Leaving SJP and it's location at the heart of the city will be a very bad idea. It's the identity of the club that the owners bought. The intimacy with the city and the people, the fan base that bring the passion and noise.

With a well made and well located fan zone, the stadium can be developed and remain where it is. I used to want a new stadium on the town moor but now think it should stay put.
    It is the cathedral on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    A Stadium like Spur is gonna cost £1billion.

Making the modernisation and expansions to SJP will cost at most £500million. That's including buying and modifying Leazes Terrace & building out the Gallowgate end over the Metro.

Leaving SJP and it's location at the heart of the city will be a very bad idea. It's the identity of the club that the owners bought. The intimacy with the city and the people, the fan base that bring the passion and noise.
    Even if they bought Leazes Terrace, most of which is owned by the council, they couldn't touch anything as the buildings are listed and are covered by "line of sight" restrictions, which means from the lower stories of the terrace houses, the roof height of the stand opposite is stuck where it is.

One possibility I've thought of would be to sink the pitch about 20feet and steepen the seating but it would also mean moving the pitch 20 ft west and therefor rebuilding the main stand which would have to be moved west about 25/30 ft.

That and development of the Gallowgate could increase the capacity to getting on to 80/85,000

All in all that would cost about a half of the cost of a new out of town stadium and would still retain our glorious roots.
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 05-12-2023 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Even if they bought Leazes Terrace, most of which is owned by the council, they couldn't touch anything as the buildings are listed and are covered by "line of sight" restrictions, which means from the lower stories of the terrace houses, the roof height of the stand opposite is stuck where it is.

One possibility I've thought of would be to sink the pitch about 20feet and steepen the seating but it would also mean moving the pitch 20 ft west and therefor rebuilding the main stand which would have to be moved west about 25/30 ft.

That and development of the Gallowgate could increase the capacity to getting on to 80/85,000

All in all that would cost about a half of the cost of a new out of town stadium and would still retain our glorious roots.
    That's not exactly correct mate. Only 'The Facade' of Leazes Terrace is Grade A listed. The building, the internals have been modified many many times during it's history. The Facade is what is listed and has to be preserved.

One of the plans was to incorporate the Facade into the stadium design. So they'd build a hotel on the property maintaining the Facade brickwork and build a new building around the listed section of the structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FdbVx27dSw - This fella details the situation with Leazes terrace in great detail.

It's currently student accommodation so with the Rubens being property developers they will do a deal for the property with an exchange to develop and build alternative student accommodation. So it's a very do able development.

The problem with dropping the pitch is the metro line under the stadium has an impact. We will need a very clever structural solution to share the load of the expanded Gallowgate End, straddling the subterranean structure of the metro system.

I like the idea of moving the pitch but that would mean redeveloping the most developed stands in the ground.

It's a major challenge indeed, however, when it comes to the Saudi money & motivation to have a stadium that is also an incredible state of the art piece of architecture in their portfolio is something that is very appealing to them.

There is a will, so there will be a way. SJP will be developed and will meet the needs of the growing international fan base whilst also maintaining the capacity for local hardcore fans.

A new stadium where we are now is probably the best outcome.. however... there is literally nowhere to play our games in the meantime.. spurs had wembley.. we would have Gateshead stadium.. big difference

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post

Even sinking the pitch wont be viable I dont think as the Metro run directly below St James Park..

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    Even sinking the pitch wont be viable I dont think as the Metro run directly below St James Park..
    Having moved away from the area almost 60 years ago that's something I must admit I didn't realise.

Anyone know how deep the Metro is?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)