+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Barton

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    i might have a wee dig at Af for being snarky about so called quotas.
    Dig away Swale it was the opinion of another forum poster not me

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Natural antagonists? I’m rarely, if ever, at odds with MA, haven’t had a fall out with AF for eons, and even agree with you when you have your sensible head on...so stop ‘spouting ****e’!
    I think yer man's merely wumming rA. Don't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I think yer man's merely wumming rA. Don't bite.
    Who...GP? Surely not.

Don’t get me wrong, Swale. I don’t like him any more than you do and agree that Barton is a total tool, a nasty piece of work and yes...a ‘thug’.
    But sometimes we have to accept that unpleasant people we dislike have talent and if I’ve been smoking something to reach my conclusion about Barton’s footballing ability alone it seems to have been something shared by the likes of Kevin Keegan, Sam Allardyce, Stuart Pearce, Neil Warnock, Steve McClaren and Harry Redknapp who possibly know more than you or I about football.
    Ah so many clubs, so many manager so which would suggest and the evidence backs that suggestion, that whilst he may have had talent, he didn't make the best use of it and hence why I wouldn't consider him a "damn good footballer". Unless of course you can point to evidence of his achievements that warrant this description?

Now Roy Keane for example was a damn good footballer and also not a character I admire. So yes I don't disagree that one does not have to admire the artist to admire the art, in Barton's case unfortunately his character hindered the expression of his art to an extent I would argue he was slightly above average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Ah so many clubs, so many manager so which would suggest and the evidence backs that suggestion, that whilst he may have had talent, he didn't make the best use of it and hence why I wouldn't consider him a "damn good footballer". Unless of course you can point to evidence of his achievements that warrant this description?

Now Roy Keane for example was a damn good footballer and also not a character I admire. So yes I don't disagree that one does not have to admire the artist to admire the art, in Barton's case unfortunately his character hindered the expression of his art to an extent I would argue he was slightly above average at best.
    Suffice it to say that the number of games he played at the top level suggests he was a lot more than ‘average’. In addition Redknapp described him as the ‘inspiration’ behind QPR’s victory over us at Wembley and McClaren capped him for England.
    Not a patch on Keane, but few were and, as you say, both unlikeable characters although Keane seems to have improved where Barton, imo, just seems to have become more pretentious and delusional.
    Beyond that we’ll have to differ.

I'd say Barton was a Pollock who sometimes let his clear talent come out to play, but that talent was wasted in the personality containing it.

Pollock seeming to be a spell check hybrid of pillock and *******

Talking about Keane, with the crap Manure are turning out these days I think it could be quite entertaining in their dressing room if he was playing now! I reckon there'd be one or two🤕🤕🤕!!

Suffice it to say that the number of games he played at the top level suggests he was a lot more than ‘average’. In addition Redknapp described him as the ‘inspiration’ behind QPR’s victory over us at Wembley and McClaren capped him for England.
    Not a patch on Keane, but few were and, as you say, both unlikeable characters although Keane seems to have improved where Barton, imo, just seems to have become more pretentious and delusional.
    Beyond that we’ll have to differ.
    Anyone (ie Keane) who celebrates, and is allowed to, on screen by his paymesters at Sky, his injuring, sometimes permanently, of his fellow players hasn't improved IMO.

I don't enjoy pundits commentating on games at all, male or female, so it doesn't bother me what their "experience" is. Even with my school day / Sunday league / 5-aside experience, I know how to kick and head a ball, I don't need an expert lecturing me about it during a game.
    Stick to telling me who the players are, some interesting stats, and a bit of adrenaline when things get exciting, and I'm happy.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)