+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Barton

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    JB is right to point out that televised football has an inordinate number of female presenters, pundits, commentators, etc. There is an increasing female presence among the 'experts' that cover games so the accusation of tokenism is well founded. But tokenism in the game is nothing new. All featured games, PL or WSL, have their fair share of token blacks giving their expert two penneth about how round a football is. One form of tokenism is condemned while the other is taken for granted.
    I think when he starts suggesting women should stick to knitting etc and making comments about Mary Earps weight he loses the room.

So if he feels people are losing opportunities because people are employing women I wouldn't have an issue if he articulated it with some proper substance rather than insults.

On the subject of token 'blacks' I can't think of anyone currently giving their 'two penneth' who should step aside for a white person. I'm not about to do the math but I feel the number of white males in the media doing commentary etc still exceeds the number of women or 'blacks'

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I think when he starts suggesting women should stick to knitting etc and making comments about Mary Earps weight he loses the room.
    Mary Earps. Excellent keeper. Worked extremely hard to get where she is and is a tremendous role model for keepers, both male and female. She is articulate. Comes across as being eminently sensible, intelligent and caring. I found her SPOTY "wardrobe" to be very daring and she absolutely killed it. She appears to be the full package. There are a lot of people out there who would be very jealous about that. Is JB one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Mary Earps. Excellent keeper. Worked extremely hard to get where she is and is a tremendous role model for keepers, both male and female. She is articulate. Comes across as being eminently sensible, intelligent and caring. I found her SPOTY "wardrobe" to be very daring and she absolutely killed it. She appears to be the full package. There are a lot of people out there who would be very jealous about that. Is JB one of them?
    Ignoring the career bigots who would argue against ANY female representation, I will however make the point that BBC pushed Earps extremely hard in terms of screen time compared to the other nominees, both before and after the nominees were announced. I could suggest a number of reasons for that but I’ll just leave it as a fact.

NB I voted for KJT

With no disrespect intended (which of course usually means the opposite) when I saw Earps had won in I actually resorted to Google to see who she was.

I regard myself as very well aware of the sports landscape globally yet this is the first time I've never heard of a SPOTY winner. This is probably a case of my ignorance and of not following the given sport, but "personality" - really? So I asked my son who is a bigger football follower then me, and has even been to women's PL matches - and he didn't know who she is either.

So I googled deeper and saw reference to Nike not even marketing a replica shirt for her during women's world cup: sounds like they hadn't heard of her either. So now she is up there with the greats of British sports.

Then I recalled that a women's footballer won it last year as well. Guess that says all we need to know about state of UK sport in that what is still a minority sport, where no home country has won a global title, now dominates BBC awards.

If BBC had got broadcasting rights for women's premier League I could understand the strategy but I don't think they have. So, I just don't get it. Must be the angry old bloke in me coming through 😄

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post

So if he feels people are losing opportunities because people are employing women I wouldn't have an issue if he articulated it with some proper substance rather than insults.

On the subject of token 'blacks' I can't think of anyone currently giving their 'two penneth' who should step aside for a white person. I'm not about to do the math but I feel the number of white males in the media doing commentary etc still exceeds the number of women or 'blacks'
    This has been discussed here before and it has caused some of the most vitriolic exchanges we've seen. Those that HAVE 'done the math' point out that the occurence of non-white (and for that matter non-hetero and non-Christian) 'faces' far exceed the national demographic, with the two opposing factions declaring on one hand 'its box-ticking/tokenism/virtue signalling' and on the other 'its the view of bigots/racists/Nazis'. My own interest is because of my strong belief that we (the plebs) are conditioned (the current fashionable word is gaslighted I believe) by the media into a line of belief of their choosing

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    With no disrespect intended (which of course usually means the opposite) when I saw Earps had won in I actually resorted to Google to see who she was.

I regard myself as very well aware of the sports landscape globally yet this is the first time I've never heard of a SPOTY winner. This is probably a case of my ignorance and of not following the given sport, but "personality" - really? So I asked my son who is a bigger football follower then me, and has even been to women's PL matches - and he didn't know who she is either.

So I googled deeper and saw reference to Nike not even marketing a replica shirt for her during women's world cup: sounds like they hadn't heard of her either. So now she is up there with the greats of British sports.

Then I recalled that a women's footballer won it last year as well. Guess that says all we need to know about state of UK sport in that what is still a minority sport, where no home country has won a global title, now dominates BBC awards.

If BBC had got broadcasting rights for women's premier League I could understand the strategy but I don't think they have. So, I just don't get it. Must be the angry old bloke in me coming through ��
    BBC has partial rights to WSL and England games.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Totally agree. But I'd go further and suggest she be given a special award for not rising to the bait of a mindless oaf who's probably better at kicking opponents in the groin than given a fair assessment of another player. His cruel and childish personal insults and portrayal of women's football in general underline what a nasty piece of work he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    BBC has partial rights to WSL and England games.
    So maybe that explains the outcome of the last 2 spoty's

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So maybe that explains the outcome of the last 2 spoty's
    The more suspicious amongst us might conclude that. I don't recall last year's event at all but I've been suspicious that BBC are 'influencing' the outcome since they limited the possible winners to a list of nominees of their choosing a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    JB is right to point out that televised football has an inordinate number of female presenters, pundits, commentators, etc. There is an increasing female presence among the 'experts' that cover games so the accusation of tokenism is well founded. But tokenism in the game is nothing new. All featured games, PL or WSL, have their fair share of token blacks giving their expert two penneth about how round a football is. One form of tokenism is condemned while the other is taken for granted.
    Jesus...I wait all morning for the power to be restored and then we get this rubbish. I think Sith’s post #38 must have some how predicted your response. ‘Token blacks’? Wtf does that mean?
    We all have our opinions Gunteryy but yours increasingly make you sound like a racist, misogynistic knob, indeed I think you’re even quite proud of your prejudice. I hope you have a Happy Christmas but equally I wish you’d keep your views away from our forum...it lowers the tone and is, frankly, not welcome.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)