+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Sunday Dinner

Do you lads who live abroad still do Sunday lunch?. Do the yanks do a Sunday roast?

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Do you lads who live abroad still do Sunday lunch?. Do the yanks do a Sunday roast?
    No real tradition here regarding Sundays from what I've seen. We would do one when the kids were at home but not as often with just the 2 of us. Coincidentally had similar to CT yesterday, marinated loin of pork with Brussels sauted in bacon fat.

Bought a vacuum packed boneless NZ leg of lamb from Costco recently. Cost about $26 or $6 per pound. That's around $13/kg or 10 quid/kg.

Wasn't really into Sunday Lunch until I met my Mrs and her Mum and Dad back in '84. They had a Sunday roast every weekend and I slightly got into them.

Fast forward a few years and when we got our new home, we sort of weaned ourselves off a Sunday roast as our eating habits changed.
    Eventually, it all came full circle and we started having them again both at home and eating out.

Present day, I do all the cooking in the household, well I do all the shopping and yes it's always a Sunday lunch be it Beef, mainly fillet, Lamb and sometimes the odd chicken one. Home made roasties, parsnips, Cauliflower cheese, sprouts, sweetheart cabbage, creamy mashed potatoes and not forgetting the sweetened carrots. As for the gravy it's a concoction of meat juice, gravy granules and water from the potatoes

Definitely make my own Yorkshire puds. The fat to cook in has to be pork dripping with all the lovely brown brine.....mmmm. They end up about 6'' tall, smother them with the thick gravy for starters and jobs a good un.

I did parsnip puree when some friends come round recently. Loads of milk, cream, butter and garlic.
    One friend asked me what I’d done to the mash potato cos it was lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I did parsnip puree when some friends come round recently. Loads of milk, cream, butter and garlic.
    One friend asked me what I’d done to the mash potato cos it was lovely.
    I've recently been to Lanzarote and my friends and myself booked into a Cuban restaurant. There they pureed ALL their vegetables and when served, look just like different coloured blobs on your plate. Suffice to say, everyone one of them was....different is all I can describe them.

Would I puree all my veg at home? Only if I was spoon feeding a 9 month old child

Always have one about 5pm.....yum yum

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Yes, every Sunday.

IKEA is promoting a turkey sized meatball for Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

Definitely make my own Yorkshire puds. The fat to cook in has to be pork dripping with all the lovely brown brine.....mmmm. They end up about 6'' tall, smother them with the thick gravy for starters and jobs a good un.
    Interesting that Brin, Sunday lunch is a firm favourite at our house - always has been and always will be - but we have this debate regularly; should you have Yorkshire puds on the same plate as the roast etc.....or as a separate starter?

Our lass' family are "starters", but I was brought up to have puds on the same plate as the roast etc.

Needless to say, we always have Yorkshire pud and gravy for starters

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    Interesting that Brin, Sunday lunch is a firm favourite at our house - always has been and always will be - but we have this debate regularly; should you have Yorkshire puds on the same plate as the roast etc.....or as a separate starter?

Our lass' family are "starters", but I was brought up to have puds on the same plate as the roast etc.

Needless to say, we always have Yorkshire pud and gravy for starters
    Or as a desert with jam on them

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast