+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Director of Football

Hopefully a Director with football knowledge on the Rotherham United board.

How long have we said, the club needed someone on the board with football knowledge.

The club has run round like headless chickens, when it came to valuations of players
    bought & sold, & lengths of contracts.

Wonder if we can do something with the youth policy as well while we’re changing things I know it costs £ to run but it’s got to be more cost effective than forking out for geriatrics that don’t/won’t play

Quote Originally Posted by uttis View Post
    Wonder if we can do something with the youth policy as well while we’re changing things I know it costs £ to run but it’s got to be more cost effective than forking out for geriatrics that don’t/won’t play
    I agree with that, hopefully the role covers that as well, if we are changing the way the football side is run then it needs to be end to end

With Warnock only working 2 months season there may be a couple of people looking for more time in work. We could do worse than looking at his Cronies Blackwell and Jepson. Plenty of experience of how different Championship clubs are run, without either of them having to be the manager.

......but the hard truth is,if you don't have the funds to be competitive in the league,you don't have the funds. It's OK changing structures,departments,investing in the training ground blah,blah,blah. If they all work,it may give you a little bit more bang to your buck but it won't bring long term sustainability at the current level. Now if they work at League 1 with our relative budget,then that is a different story.

I keep reading and hearing about a Director of Football (DoF). Part of me seriously wonders whether some of our fans want a DoF just because it's a modern day fad (much like having a manager with a foreign accent makes him far better than a British one). It's trendy and all that TV money wont spend itself.

The online definition of a DoF that seems to be most accepted, states;

"One of the primary tasks of a Director of Football is to identify and recruit players who can enhance the team's performance. They work closely with scouts and the club's management to spot potential targets, negotiate transfers, and secure player contracts."

Rob Scott is presently employed at RUFC as Head of Recruitment. Is that just a fancy title for "chief scout"? Surely not given his apparent role in the recent appointment of Leam Richardson.

So, given the above, can somebody please explain to me how a DoF would fit into RUFC's structure, how their relationship would sit with regards our current Head of Recruitment, and also please justify to me how it would be money well spent for a club that cant even get fill its substitutes bench on many an occassion.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSquirt View Post
    With Warnock only working 2 months season there may be a couple of people looking for more time in work. We could do worse than looking at his Cronies Blackwell and Jepson. Plenty of experience of how different Championship clubs are run, without either of them having to be the manager.
    Steve Bruce has been mentioned by many on here but we all fell into the trap of thinking we could attract a manager well above our perceived attractiveness so I guess we don't want to make the mistake of doing that again with regards to a Director of Football! Keith Curle it is then!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post

So, given the above, can somebody please explain to me how a DoF would fit into RUFC's structure, how their relationship would sit with regards our current Head of Recruitment, and also please justify to me how it would be money well spent for a club that cant even get fill its substitutes bench on many an occassion.
    Rob Scott is planning to be DoF.
    He virtually admitted it last night under interview from local Radio, as confirmed on numerous posts on other threads since then.
    Not immediately, but in due course….Rob,s words

I presume one of his scouting / analysis team members will be promoted into his current role or Rob will undertake both DoF and HoR roles

Without any new staff presumably this would not increase costs too much except perhaps some appropriate pay rises

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    It's about money yer silly TW@T

Know that but better ways to use the budget.

Haven't we done it the wrong way round? Get a DofF, and he picks a manager.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast