+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Was wondering about batteries

I enclose details about a hydrogen heating trial in Redcar which yesterday was scrapped by the U.K. Government. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c842wzn9g35o

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I was a member of the Islay Energy Trust steering group from 2004 until November 2006 and I learnt a lot about renewable energy during that period.
    OK Islay. Stick to facts, don't bang on about SNP/Green policies. I would hope that things have progressed since 2006!

I enclose details about a hydrogen heating trial in Redcar which yesterday was scrapped by the U.K. Government. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c842wzn9g35o
    Interesting link. Bet they had the same sort of discussion when Dounreay Nuclear Power station was first proposed. couldn't get it farther from where people stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Interesting link. Bet they had the same sort of discussion when Dounreay Nuclear Power station was first proposed. couldn't get it farther from where people stayed.
    Dounreay was installed on the North coast of Scotland to bring employment to that area.

OK Islay. Stick to facts, don't bang on about SNP/Green policies. I would hope that things have progressed since 2006!
    I was replying to.a post by a poster called The Auld Yin.
    However while we are on the subject of hydrogen.
    Back in 2006 when I was a member of the Islay Energy Trust steering group we were told that a person on Islay wanted build a prototype hydrogen powered motor car but he could not get government funding and that was the end of his project.

I was replying to.a post by a poster called The Auld Yin.
    However while we are on the subject of hydrogen.
    Back in 2006 when I was a member of the Islay Energy Trust steering group we were told that a person on Islay wanted build a prototype hydrogen powered motor car but he could not get government funding and that was the end of his project.
    I was hoping to encourage you to think about the topic and share information rather than opinions. If you read AuldYins post you can see that he has a family member who works specifically in this area. I am hoping for interesting ideas about batteries and wind power and how the numbers stack up.

I was hoping to encourage you to think about the topic and share information rather than opinions. If you read AuldYins post you can see that he has a family member who works specifically in this area. I am hoping for interesting ideas about batteries and wind power and how the numbers stack up.
    I assume that you are aware that everyone is paying for the cost of the feed tariff payments to the owners of wind turbines and solar panels in their electricity bills.
    Up to 15% of the cost of your electricity bill covers the cost of people on social tariffs for their electricity plus feed in tariffs for the owners of wind turbines and sola panels.
    In my opinion central Government should be paying the cost of social tariffs for electricity and feed in tariff payments through general taxation.
    We are also paying for cost of the installation of both 1st generation and 2nd generation smart meters through our electricity bills. These smart meters are supposed to reduce the cost of people’s electricity bills but this is another myth.
    People just have to look at the dial on their electricity meter to see how much electricity they are using.
    It is not difficult.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 17-12-2023 at 01:35 AM.

It is not my opinion.
    I learnt a lot about renewable energy when I was a member of the Islay Energy Trust steering group.

BATTERIES are not the answer for supplying mains electricity, batteries and their charging systems have improved greatly over the past few years, TESLA is a good example, when Tesla started mass producing electric cars, all the major car manufacturers panicked and started
    electric car production.
    remember SIR CLIVE SINCLAIR ,he produced the C2 vechicle to experiment with battery technology.

I assume that you are aware that everyone is paying for the cost of the feed tariff payments to the owners of wind turbines and solar panels in their electricity bills.
    Up to 15% of the cost of your electricity bill covers the cost of people on social tariffs for their electricity plus feed in tariffs for the owners of wind turbines and sola panels.
    In my opinion central Government should be paying the cost of social tariffs for electricity and feed in tariff payments through general taxation.
    We are also paying for cost of the installation of both 1st generation and 2nd generation smart meters through our electricity bills. These smart meters are supposed to reduce the cost of people’s electricity bills but this is another myth.
    People just have to look at the dial on their electricity meter to see how much electricity they are using.
    It is not difficult.
    Interesting points Islay. I think there is a flaw in the suggestion that central government should fund social tariffs. That means tax payers foot the bill and there does not seem to me to be a way to make the system seem fair. Means testing is anathema to every politician so I am not sure how it would work.
    It seems to me that the problem is that profits made in power generating companies are used to value these companies. There is no reference made to the assets they own and the requirement to generate surpluses to replace them as they wear out.
    I'd not allow them to pay dividends, and make sure that intercompany loans were very strictly controlled so that making huge interest payments to a holding company in a tax haven would generate a British tax burden as if the recipient company was in Britain.
    Pre privatisation Governments struggled to justify making surpluses to pay for the renewal of plant and equipment. Privatisation and a regime of regulation has not worked imo, and we are now getting into the ridiculous situation where we could generate enough energy from a mixture of home based nuclear, home based fossil fuels and home based renewable, but are unable to because of huge revenues being sent abroad. Buying energy from other countries is not the road to economic health. Ask the Germsns!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)