+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Aberdeen v Livingston

He’s set up a few goals and has had a few good games but every game I’ve seen play at Pittodrie his crosses usually fail to beat the first defender or he over hits it and it goes out for a throw in on the other side of the pitch.

He’s not the only player who has been guilty of this to be fair but the other players have been criticised for this so I don’t see why he should be above criticism.

Defensively I think he’s ok but he’s also been guilty of errors which have cost us goals.Theres no real problem with that other than he shouldn’t be above criticism like every other player gets when they make an error.

Maybe I am being harsh on him because I had high expectations from him when he signed I just thought he was going to be better than he has been so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    He’s set up a few goals and has had a few good games but every game I’ve seen play at Pittodrie his crosses usually fail to beat the first defender or he over hits it and it goes out for a throw in on the other side of the pitch.

He’s not the only player who has been guilty of this to be fair but the other players have been criticised for this so I don’t see why he should be above criticism.

Defensively I think he’s ok but he’s also been guilty of errors which have cost us goals.Theres no real problem with that other than he shouldn’t be above criticism like every other player gets when they make an error.

Maybe I am being harsh on him because I had high expectations from him when he signed I just thought he was going to be better than he has been so far.

Yes. I think you are being incredibly harsh towards him ?

Every other player in a red shirt tries things that don`t come off.

Look at this from the other side Rico. How many penalties has he missed ??

( Answer far far fewer than Miovski !!! )

COYR.

Did we not sign Devlin as a right back/ central defender?

I don't think has ever been an attack minded wing back.

A lot of games we play we struggle to utilise the wings anyway and go straight down the middle.

I ken it's about opinions, but certainly been one of our most consistent performers this season in my eyes and quite a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    Did we not sign Devlin as a right back/ central defender?

I don't think has ever been an attack minded wing back.

A lot of games we play we struggle to utilise the wings anyway and go straight down the middle.

I ken it's about opinions, but certainly been one of our most consistent performers this season in my eyes and quite a few others.
    Maybe he is a right back and not a wing back but that’s a problem if we actually play with wing backs most of the time.

Barry Robson seems to rate him as much as you do because he’s always going on about how good he is.

It’s pointless playing guys like Devlin,McGarry and Hayes if they can’t play as attacking wing backs.As others have said we would be better off playing with wingers and play those guys as fullbacks.

I like Devlin. Aggressive, attack minded, good engine & attitude, doesn’t mind a tackle. Offers a lot of good attributes at our level.

Agree he’s not ideally suited to the current setup though. Few of our players are - it’s one of the major issues.

We lack width. The current wing back options don’t offer that width.

Devlin would work better in a back 4. Most of our players would. I don’t expect our genius manager to recognise that - he’s much, much more cleverer than us after all…

Devlin is in no way a wingback, he's a good SPL level full back who gets forward and can support the winger in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

It must be the hardest job in football having to cover the entire pitch both as a defender and to support the attack, very few players in world football can and have ever pulled it off to any great success when playing it in a back 5

I also have to disagree with Rico. I think Devlin has been one of our most consistent and better players so far this season. I know the bar hasn't exactly been a high one at times. Agree with the comments though about being a better right back than wing back.

With the exception of Miovski and his goals, it's my opinion that Devlin has probably been our best and most consistent player this season.
    I would not be against giving him the captains arm band, he has been a great signing.

Just to add i think McGarry would look far better than he is doing as an orthodox left back who supports the attack than somebody who has to be a defender and a winger at the same time in a back 5

I think theres a player in there, pretty sound technically

But as others have said, Robson will just continue to play 5 at the back wingless wonders hoof ball and stuter his way through the season as he appears to be dogmatic to continually line up that way

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345