+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Mone interview

Michelle Mone interview

Last edited by soulman101; 18-12-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    I find it incredible how much political talk gets taken up about immigrants coming into the country, who literally have nothing and mostly want to work to earn and provide. Then we have people like this, who probably take more off the state than thousands of these immigrants who get nowhere near the column inches in the newspapers.

I know who the real villains are.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I find it incredible how much political talk gets taken up about immigrants coming into the country, who literally have nothing and mostly want to work to earn and provide. Then we have people like this, who probably take more off the state than thousands of these immigrants who get nowhere near the column inches in the newspapers.

I know who the real villains are.
    I don’t usually comment on politics but I live in the East Midlands these days. Not far from me there’s 2 hotels which now are full of migrants. I’ve only ever seen lots of young men wandering around the local town and playing field.
    Also there is 2 schools nearby were there has been quite a few schoolgirls of all ages being approached and accosted by these people , and local shops reporting that they are having guys coming in thieving stuff off shelves..the police are reluctant to act as they seem afraid of being accused themselves. The local people will and have taken the law into there own hands regarding this..you won’t read or hear anything on the news.i wonder why..
    This simply has to stop. Legal migration is a good thing. But these illegals are not..thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by boinggazmic View Post
    I don’t usually comment on politics but I live in the East Midlands these days. Not far from me there’s 2 hotels which now are full of migrants. I’ve only ever seen lots of young men wandering around the local town and playing field.
    Also there is 2 schools nearby were there has been quite a few schoolgirls of all ages being approached and accosted by these people , and local shops reporting that they are having guys coming in thieving stuff off shelves..the police are reluctant to act as they seem afraid of being accused themselves. The local people will and have taken the law into there own hands regarding this..you won’t read or hear anything on the news.i wonder why..
    This simply has to stop. Legal migration is a good thing. But these illegals are not..thanks .
    Without looking at the figures, I'd say that you probably wouldn't fill Old Trafford football ground with the number of illegal immigrants coming in on a yearly basis. And there is no doubt there will be some bad apples in there. Why the police wouldn't act on criminal behaviour that you describe, I don't find credible to be honest. Its the immigration policy from the Govt that is shocking, the majority come here to better themselves and want to work, they're not able to because they have to sit in a hotel all day bored out of their brain.

Legal migration is how most of the people coming into the country get in. And we need migrants, make no mistake about that, the country wouldn't run otherwise.

Anyway, back to Mone...she fleeced the country out of many tens of millions of pounds. My point is, she is taking far more from the country than the average immigrant. But the immigrant is the one disparaged.

Tend to agree with both boinggasmic and 123. Too many illegal immigrants and what do people not understand about the word ILLEGAL plus Mone has fleeced the country and should be forced to pay it all back. Simples!

It would appear that the bra queen has ripped the country off and if proven, then it should be paid back. You cannot, though, link that woman’s misdemeanours to immigration; there is far more to that issue than the whys and wherefores of individual migrants. Owing to the apparent effects of climate change and the perpetual state of war that exists in many countries, the numbers of migrants heading to Europe will only increase and however sympathetic you may be towards them, the infrastructure of the country will not cope with unlimited numbers of incomers. There are currently proposals to build a huge number of new houses around Cambridge but as some have pointed out, there are nowhere near enough water supplies to provide for so many more people. More arable land will, therefore, be flooded to create reservoirs but this unsustainable in the long term. No easy answers, are there?

This post is political bait, I think.
    Mone is a greedy opportunist. No doubt lauded by some as a champion of the entrepreneurial spirit we should admire.

Immigration …. No government has been able to control this. Yes, generally migrants are indeed some of the most ambitious types in search of a better life. Its more complicated these days as many are encouraged into Europe as a destabilizing tool. For example, The New USSR is actively attempting to flood Europe via Finland, even supplying transport to the borders. Previously before Feb 2022 a popular route was via Bellarussia. Crime gangs linked to the above also operate worldwide these days. Many of the immigrants should be seen as victims.

Comparing what Mone swindled to the cost of supporting a number of immigrants is not a zero sum calculation however.
    While we on the subject of immigration there is a serious conversation to be had on birth control here. Fact is that many migrants have religious and cultural beliefs that discourage birth control.
    Nobody wants to talk about the world population do they.

We dont have unlimited resources in the UK or the planet.

Agree with a lot of what has been said here.

As for Mone, my thoughts run similar to liquidator's. I know it's sour grapes from Norris (an awful woman herself!) but agree with her on questioning Mone's appointment to the Lords in the first place and hard not to see some validity in the "posh boy's club" comment. As a system, having a second house such as the Lords is far from perfect -mostly due to how easy it seems to be for the two main parties to try and flood it with their own supporters regardless of political ability/integrity-but it's probably still as good a system as any.

As for immigration, a proper and transparent public conversation across all parties on this is long overdue. Immigration levels cannot be sustainable and it IS an issue (and always has been at times of economic hardship particularly) but for too long there seems to have been a tendency to swallow just the more right wing rhetoric about the dangers of criminal young male illegals. To deny that these are not a problem is rubbish but such stories are also used to distract from other important questions such as the government's own failings on immigration control and the much bigger problem of legal immigration and especially the issue of dependents. Any cursory look through the ONS figures should highlight that.

I'm far from convinced about Starmer or Labour's ability to find solutions to our current mess (admittedly greatly impacted by global issues as much as domestic ones) but am increasingly concerned by right wing conservatives with their beliefs in how to "grow" back the economy and turn around an increasingly under productive workforce. It is a facile argument that working hard in itself will guarantee anyone financial success and security and they are quite happy to support zero hour contracts, erode workers rights under the guise of "deregulation is needed to drive growth" and use examples of benefit cheats to reduce benefits and "force more people back into work" which also hits hardest those who need them most.

The growing divide between the have and have nots is becoming increasingly noticeable. Andy Burnham highlighted one aspect of this when he talked about the uneven-ness of government support during the pandemic. Whilst many in London or the South may have indeed been able to "sit in their gardens" on 80% of their salary, the majority of his own constituents were in low paid "essential worker" jobs and so continued to work with no such benefits. Guess which ones are now more likely to stay to be able to stay at home and spend less hours in the workforce. Similarly, just compare the numbers of people you see out Christmas shopping or booking holidays still with the stories of those families made homeless due to a combination of landlords increasing their rents and lack of social housing. Still, it's a life style choice isn't it Suella. If only they just got off their backsides and worked harder...

How about spending more time and money on trying to fix the on-going issues of education, healthcare (which admittedly needs a drastic re-think including considering options such as means tested payments) and affordable housing? Or how about enabling currently poorly paid sectors such as the care industry, cleaning, agricultural workers, retail etc. to be paid more so that the wages make such jobs (the "essential" workers of the pandemic remember) more attractive to British workers which would, in turn, lessen the need for immigrant workers to fill these positions ? But then that would hit the profits of those making money on the backs of being able to legally employ such immigrant workers on such low wages wouldn't it.

To deny that there are genuine problems with illegal immigrants or benefit cheats is clearly not true, and these issues do need tackling but personally I believe that too many are being deliberately deflected by such stories to take their attention off the bigger picture.

Oops, think I've just swallowed that political bait!😀 Sorry guys 😞

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    This post is political bait, I think.
    Mone is a greedy opportunist. No doubt lauded by some as a champion of the entrepreneurial spirit we should admire.

Immigration …. No government has been able to control this. Yes, generally migrants are indeed some of the most ambitious types in search of a better life. Its more complicated these days as many are encouraged into Europe as a destabilizing tool. For example, The New USSR is actively attempting to flood Europe via Finland, even supplying transport to the borders. Previously before Feb 2022 a popular route was via Bellarussia. Crime gangs linked to the above also operate worldwide these days. Many of the immigrants should be seen as victims.

Comparing what Mone swindled to the cost of supporting a number of immigrants is not a zero sum calculation however.
    While we on the subject of immigration there is a serious conversation to be had on birth control here. Fact is that many migrants have religious and cultural beliefs that discourage birth control.
    Nobody wants to talk about the world population do they.

We dont have unlimited resources in the UK or the planet.
    Isn't world population forecasted to level out at some point this century?

There are some countries in the world, particularly in Asia and Eastern Europe where birth rates are declining at an alarming rate.

The fertility rate's expected to drop some time around 2070 with the actual birth rate leveling out by 2100. Apparently. At the current rate at any rate.

This is a political thread so I don't even know why I've opened it and now I've gone and contributed to it.

What a waste of my fuggin time.... especially as I probably won't even be looking at it again 😂 🤣 .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)