+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Change at the top

Change at the top

https://twitter.com/MotherwellFC/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Definitely needed...but will we find people to step up? Safe to say this is a bit of a which way now moment.

Thanks go to both Jim McMahon and Derek Weir for their efforts.

Are they under the impression they are leaving a sinking ship on our current winless run. Whoever comes in has to connect with the fans and keep us informed of what the future for the club holds.

Shrugs...who knows?

Tbh I suspect there's a lot of truth in the article - they have both put in a tonne of work over years and years, eventually the energy just goes, you can't take the criticism any more, someone fresh is needed to step up to the next challenge etc. They have more than earned the right to turn up next season five pints in and get back to complaining bitterly like everyone else.

So I think there's no doubt this has the potential to be a good thing...potentially era ending as well mind, we pick some terrible times to go through major upheaval.

I don’t think the timing is great given the disappointing run we are on and I would have thought that, in an ideal world, a new structure would have been announced at the same time as the ‘stepping down’ announcement, so perhaps it has been precipitated by a potential leak? Issuing the statement now you still keep a degree of control, albeit your timetable has had to be revised.
    More important, however, is what the “fund raising initiative” alluded will actually be. To be meaningful it has to be outside funds coming in that are substantial and sustainable and I’d like to think that, given the dedication and service the two board members have given over the years to a club they appear to love, they are not going to hand over Motherwell to a bunch of cowboys or Russian mafia.
    I have no idea where you find people willing to invest in a football club our size (we are not exactly big on paying customer numbers) but let’s hope that the last act of these dedicated servants (not that I know them) is to transition our club to a new ownership structure that will service us well in the long term. What division that will be in at the start of next season remains in the balance, unfortunately.

Is there a good reason why the club needs a successful women's team?
    How much is that costing while at the same time, the club is investing less in the development for future first team players?

There's been too many mishandled deals and decisions. About time this is happening, but what other consequences will be coming? With the club considered a "fan-owned" club is that not an impediment to any new investment?

We're already paying wages far too high for players who have limited ability, players easily crocked, and maybe a different arrangement needs to be put in place. e.g. You win you get your big bonus, you lose, you get minimum payment or something of that sort.

1) it's certainly a long-term investment but given it's relative cost we'd be mental not to do it.

2) what consequences would you like to see? The potential to remove McMahon, for example, has always been there.
    It would certainly impede some potential investment, that's a positive feature not a bug mind.

3) as much as I'd love to impose a 1980s Jim McLean era or terror on FP, I think that idea is vastly overestimating how much clout we have in negotiations.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)