+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Matchday thread: Derby v Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You can’t help but ‘credit Rosenior’s squad for 7th’, GP. Everyone accepts that Springett and White added little so it was Rosenior’s squad that finished the season, where he had left them, in seventh.

I’m honestly not trying to ‘have it both ways’ and you can’t say now that, because we’re currently 4th, we must be better. Last season under Warne we went, if I remember correctly, from 7th to...7th via the brief vertigo inducing heights of third and the depths of twelfth. It’s where we are in May that matters along with what PW can pull out of the ‘hat’ in the January sales to strengthen our squad.

Is Rosenior ‘better’ than Warne? In my opinion, ‘yes’, but, as you’ve suggested, it just doesn’t matter because what’s done is done.

Is the current squad stronger? It certainly should be because we brought in a great deal more than we shipped out during the summer and I think, certainly in terms of us having more cover, it probably is...yes...but I still feel that, with today’s squad the players I feel we’d miss most are Wildsmith, Cashin, NML and Bird along with, to a slightly less consistent extent, Collins, Hourihane and Smith. Only Nelson, Nyambe (if he’s still here) and Wilson (when available) of Warne’s dozen summer signings generate the same feelings in me.

Finally...it’s repeatedly suggested that you can’t get a twenty goal a season striker on a free. Well Rosenior managed it, in the most appalling circumstances 17 months ago and actually Collins isn’t far off target for managing the same feat this season. So...absolutely no point moaning about Rosenior though I remain grateful for what he did for us. What matters now is where Warne can guide us and that begins, as did this whole argument, with, imo, his improved showing in the January window.
    P.S. Sorry...forgot Forsyth from that initial group of four.

Look Swale, old horse...it’s Christmas Eve and the last thing I want to do is fall out with you...again.

You don’t rate managers by their ‘success rate’ with signings. Really? I think you’ll find most people do...especially owners.

I’m not, and never have been, talking about him using the previous ‘core’ of the side...this latest discussion has been (almost) exclusively about PW’s dealings in the transfer market and I can’t be more objective than to list his 14 signings and judge them...or allow others to do so.
    As it happens AF has put on his accountant’s head and attributed value to each signing on my list. I’d only disagree fractionally...one less for Vickers and one more for White but my ultimate conclusion would be the same and that leads me to conclude that PW’s transfer dealings have been disappointing so far.
    Whether they’re officially free transfers or not doesn’t really matter...there’s nothing remotely free about them once they’re on the payroll and the fact is that DCFC have paid a lot of money since the summer for players who’ve made little impact.

I’m hoping for an improvement with two, possibly if we’re lucky, three (all subject to any outgoing factors which we don’t have the details of yet) significant and game changing January additions.

I see you’re hoping for much the same, so let’s just agree to share our hopes and differ on some interpretations, cease your apparent obsession with me and enjoy Christmas which will hopefully include a Boxing Day victory at Wigan.
    FFS! Its a forum where you post a view and I post a response, its neither "falling out" with you or being obsessed with you, I happen to disagree with the way you damn Warne with faint praise, you can't criticise the league position, so you make out that "objectively" his signings haven't contributed much.

My experience suggests that fans assessment of players is generally anything but objective! But in the scheme of things, the fact that some players haven't yet been performing as well as one hopes isn't something I'm bothered about. IF we get promotion I certainly won't be saying, ah but he bought 10 players and only 4 actually improved the team!!

So you really think fans and owners judge a manager based on the signings he makes? Really? I mean I know many fans these days seem to think its just a question of getting in a good player and success follows but its obvious thats only one metric on which a manager is judged.

Frankly the way a manager gets the players he inherited to play AND integrates any new additions he brings in is as important. But the key metric is league position and there is no disputing that on that Warne is doing what was expected of him.

Anyway seasons greetings.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    FFS! Its a forum where you post a view and I post a response, its neither "falling out" with you or being obsessed with you, I happen to disagree with the way you damn Warne with faint praise, you can't criticise the league position, so you make out that "objectively" his signings haven't contributed much.

My experience suggests that fans assessment of players is generally anything but objective! But in the scheme of things, the fact that some players haven't yet been performing as well as one hopes isn't something I'm bothered about. IF we get promotion I certainly won't be saying, ah but he bought 10 players and only 4 actually improved the team!!

So you really think fans and owners judge a manager based on the signings he makes? Really? I mean I know many fans these days seem to think its just a question of getting in a good player and success follows but its obvious thats only one metric on which a manager is judged.

Frankly the way a manager gets the players he inherited to play AND integrates any new additions he brings in is as important. But the key metric is league position and there is no disputing that on that Warne is doing what was expected of him.

Anyway seasons greetings.
    1. Okay...am I alone in criticising Warne? No. You just seem rather more likely to vent your spleen on me than others. Doesn’t bother me...just a little repetitive and curious.

2. Of those who’ve offered a view I’d suggest that AF and I have probably seen more of the Rams ‘live’ than most this season. The fact that we share much the same opinion on player performance and signings is maybe telling.

3. Yes I really think fans judge a manager based on the signings (and the sales) he makes. Pretty obvious really...compare Clough and Docherty. Of course it’s not the only thing and I’ve never said it is, but signing the right players with the right attitude so that they gel in a successful way is fundamental from Klopp to the lower leagues. I’m frankly baffled that you’d think otherwise.

4. Yes, of course it’s as important. Where have I ever said otherwise? As you say however, integrating new additions is crucial and I don’t think that has been one of Warne’s pluses so far. So high marks for league position approaching the half way mark...but lower marks for the integration either because more than half his signings a) aren’t good enough b) aren’t the right fit c) are injury prone or d) have proved unlucky.

Oh well. Peace and good will to all men as they say at this time of year...even you and Gunterry who appear to have been my main antagonists of late. Have a good one.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-12-2023 at 07:41 PM.

1. Okay...am I alone in criticising Warne? No. You just seem rather more likely to vent your spleen on me than others. Doesn’t bother me...just a little repetitive and curious.

2. Of those who’ve offered a view I’d suggest that AF and I have probably seen more of the Rams ‘live’ than most this season. The fact that we share much the same opinion on player performance and signings is maybe telling.

3. Yes I really think fans judge a manager based on the signings (and the sales) he makes. Pretty obvious really...compare Clough and Docherty. Of course it’s not the only thing and I’ve never said it is, but signing the right players with the right attitude so that they gel in a successful way is fundamental from Klopp to the lower leagues. I’m frankly baffled that you’d think otherwise.

4. Yes, of course it’s as important. Where have I ever said otherwise? As you say however, integrating new additions is crucial and I don’t think that has been one of Warne’s pluses so far. So high marks for league position approaching the half way mark...but lower marks for the integration either because more than half his signings a) aren’t good enough b) aren’t the right fit c) are injury prone or d) have proved unlucky.

Oh well. Peace and good will to all men as they say at this time of year...even you and Gunterry who appear to have been my main antagonists of late. Have a good one.
    I feel as if I've been a failure then ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I feel as if I've been a failure then ☹️
    Not an entirely unfamiliar feeling, one imagines, GP. Seasons greetings anyway. X
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-12-2023 at 11:09 PM.

1. No, but you have consistently criticised him since last August, where as AF and others have generally made comments after a bad spell of results or a poor game. I've responded where I felt such comments were ill judged, so I'm not "picking on you".

2. Maybe, but whats telling is that despite the football being less than scintillating and some players being consistently slated, the team is now 4th in the league after 6 games unbeaten. Lets not forget the millions spent previously on players and managers in an attempt by the previous owner to get a team playing the "Derby way". At the moment getting out of this division on limited resources is the name of the game.

3. You stated that a manager is judged on the signings he makes, you didn't say its one of the things a manager is judged by! I'm not a mind reader and in any case I'm not in the habit of assuming you mean something that you don't state. There are of course examples of managers who come in make no signings and are judged solely on the team results.

4. I am puzzled how you think Warne has got the team to 4th in the league if he hasn't managed to integrate the new signings with the existing players in the team, I think you mean individual player performances, but its perhaps as well to note that existing players such as Sibley, Bird, Rooney for example have been either injured or not performed well. Wildsmith was having a mare early on as well. Funnily enough players do get injured, have a loss of form etc. etc. On the other hand Nelson, Nyambe, Wilson, and Waghorn have not disappointed though some have had injuries.

There are plenty of examples at any football club of players who have been signed (sometimes for millions) and for whatever reason don't gell, hardly get a game and soon move on, why even the great Pep Guardiola has been known to sign the odd "dud" - theres £40 million Phillips currently looking for a way out at Man City, hardly played since he arrived. Warne IMO opinion has done no worse than most managers to date.
    Last edited by swaledale; 24-12-2023 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    1. No, but you have consistently criticised him since last August, where as AF and others have generally made comments after a bad spell of results or a poor game. I've responded where I felt such comments were ill judged, so I'm not "picking on you".

2. Maybe, but whats telling is that despite the football being less than scintillating and some players being consistently slated, the team is now 4th in the league after 6 games unbeaten. Lets not forget the millions spent previously on players and managers in an attempt by the previous owner to get a team playing the "Derby way". At the moment getting out of this division on limited resources is the name of the game.

3. You stated that a manager is judged on the signings he makes, you didn't say its one of the things a manager is judged by! I'm not a mind reader and in any case I'm not in the habit of assuming you mean something that you don't state. There are of course examples of managers who come in make no signings and are judged solely on the team results.

4. I am puzzled how you think Warne has got the team to 4th in the league if he hasn't managed to integrate the new signings with the existing players in the team, I think you mean individual player performances, but its perhaps as well to note that existing players such as Sibley, Bird, Rooney for example have been either injured or not performed well. Wildsmith was having a mare early on as well. Funnily enough players do get injured, have a loss of form etc. etc. On the other hand Nelson, Nyambe, Wilson, and Waghorn have not disappointed though some have had injuries.

There are plenty of examples at any football club of players who have been signed (sometimes for millions) and for whatever reason don't gell, hardly get a game and soon move on, why even the great Pep Guardiola has been known to sign the odd "dud" - theres £40 million Phillips currently looking for a way out at Man City, hardly played since he arrived. Warne IMO opinion has done no worse than most managers to date.
    Okay...Christmas Day truce over but let’s stick to logic and reason.

1. I have criticised Warne, especially two or three months ago. I have also praised his achievements when warranted. It’s a case of criticism and praise as and when appropriate for me. As for you ‘picking on’ me...how old are we...six? I said you chose to ‘vent your spleen’ on me even though others have been equally critical at times.

2. What other managers and owners, one in particular, have done in the past is totally irrelevant to Warne’s transfer dealings. Complete red herring.

3. You may not be a mind reader’...but I didn’t realise I had to spell things out quite so literally and simply to you. The context of the discussion was Warne’s performance in the transfer market. Obviously other factors...league position, style of football etc are crucial but central to all that is the ability to spot and acquire additions that fit the budget and will strengthen the playing squad. It’s my opinion that this hasn’t proved to be one of Warne’s strengths over the last 16 months. I’d give him a 4 or possibly 5/10...that’s my opinion...I’ve provided my reasoning elsewhere and things may change in the next window or over the next five months. Certainly Nyambe signing an extension and, as I understand, showing great enthusiasm for DCFC is a huge positive.

4. I don’t really understand how Waghorn, of the players you’ve mentioned, hasn’t ‘disappointed’. This is the Waghorn who you didn’t want us to sign... ‘no thanks not even at L1 level’ were your words I believe...and so far he’s had a bit of a typical Waghorn season. He’s a decent wholehearted player imo...scores goals in ‘clusters’, then goes quiet and misses lengthy periods with injury. Nelson, Nyambe and Wilson we agree on. Vickers too has done nothing wrong, although we haven’t seen enough to be genuinely positive, but 3 or 4 successful signings out of 12/14 leaves much room for improvement in my world and that is all I’ve said.

As regards Pep and Phillips. You make one of my points perfectly. I don’t think anyone would doubt that Kalvin Phillips is an extremely talented footballer...but he’s also staggeringly injury prone. For me that makes him a ‘no go’. I don’t care how good anyone or anything is when they/it are functioning perfectly. If they/it are subject to regular breakdown/unavailability then I wouldn’t buy. Fact is that Pep/Man City can afford to lose out on £40m more than we can afford to lose money on players who’s performances may be measured more in minutes played rather than matches.

I’ve really nothing more to say. It’s become tiresome again and basically we just disagree on the quality of Warne’s signings since he arrived at Derby. You’re obviously satisfied...I’m not...end of. If you want to continue I’d suggest we move to the January window thread because this all has nothing to do with last week against Lincoln.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)