+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: January Transfer Window

Quote Originally Posted by moicher View Post
    I agree. Why stop at Conway? I want a Paul Sturrock type. Scores for fun; can dribble past anyone, cross, pass and all with no-shinpads cos he is hard as nails.
    In my humble opinion the type we need more than anything is a Charlie Millar, someone not scared to take the ball in a tight space and drive forward committing defenders to create space for others, we currently have nobody capable of that, that's why we end up with all the passing across the back 4 and then an aimless punt up the park.

Back for a few weeks and took in the Raith and Queen's Park games, same old problems in that no leadership on or off pitch, no-one to grab game by scruff of neck or have a moment of magic to win a game.
    I could look to take comfort from our stats but until rules change to 3 corners a penalty, all that really shows is how wasteful and disappointing our players are especially against weaker teams. That switches to just plain rank when it comes to winning the key games.
    We have a clueless owner, a weak manager who made a playboy journeyman captain and we now have the majority of our support not confident about beating the jags at home.
    To be honest I'm at the stage where I'm not sure I want us promoted. We're nowhere near premiership ready and won't be without major strengthening. Our previous Jan window doesn't give me much hope.
    Merry Christmas btw

Quote Originally Posted by Monifieth Arab View Post
    In my humble opinion the type we need more than anything is a Charlie Millar, someone not scared to take the ball in a tight space and drive forward committing defenders to create space for others, we currently have nobody capable of that, that's why we end up with all the passing across the back 4 and then an aimless punt up the park.
    This is kind of what i was hoping to see from Chris Mochrie. Not suggesting he is a Charlie Millar type player, but from the videos we have seen of his loan spells, he wins the ball deep in his own half and carries it forward quickly, before the opposition have had the chance to regroup and organise themselves. Mochrie can take the ball past an opponent, pulling other players out of position and making space for his team mates to make effective runs. He can then make a decent pass to pick them out.

Whether we are not playing him in that role, or he's just not up to it, I've no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    This is kind of what i was hoping to see from Chris Mochrie. Not suggesting he is a Charlie Millar type player, but from the videos we have seen of his loan spells, he wins the ball deep in his own half and carries it forward quickly, before the opposition have had the chance to regroup and organise themselves. Mochrie can take the ball past an opponent, pulling other players out of position and making space for his team mates to make effective runs. He can then make a decent pass to pick them out.

Whether we are not playing him in that role, or he's just not up to it, I've no idea.
    I totally get what you're saying about the videos from his loans spells but for me right now he is playing with the shackles on, the majority of his passes have been backwards or sideways and there haven't been many attempts to drive forward with the ball. Whether this is down to team tactics and the way he is being asked to play or lack of confidence from the laddie because he's scared of making a mistake and getting dropped I'm not sure. Again my humble opinion he needs to be told you're in for the next 5 games go and play you're own game and show us what you can do, this constant pattern of in one game dropped the next 3 isn't working. So far this season only Fotheringham and Moult have a better minutes per goal ratio than Mochrie who is averaging a goal every 173 minutes played, Tony Watt is a goal per 442 minutes, Mochrie is more mobile and tries a hundred times harder he must watch Watt and think the manager must hate me to play that muppet in front of me.

Mochrie is Def the closest we have to that type of player, think he needs a run of games. Not a goalscorer going on his career so far, his shots are pure powder puff.

I actually think we had a fairly good transfer window in the summer, most people would have agreed a month or so ago or had Raith not been decent. Don't think you can underestimate challenge of rebuilding a squad in one short summer. Difficulty of moving high earners like bergetti and watt is a nightmare, probably takes 2-3 windows, unfortunately Jan window a nightmare.

Spine of team there, unfortunately docherty has turned into sick note, and moults form has dropped off the edge of a cliff.

Where we might have room for manover is loanees tilson and deinham. I'd still be trying to move on bereghetti, watt and Freeman, and strengthen right back, central mid, and competition for moult.

Loans also don't tie you up beyond the season, another sh1t reason in getting relegated, your stuck with guys on 18-24 month contracts who are championship players if you get up.

We've been quite lucky with injuries so far, look at impact docherty being out has had or Freeman's form coming in. Serious injury to Holt or Gallagher would be huge, given their replacements. Mcmann seems to be our only established left back too, unless Holt moves out there, weakening the centre half position.

Quote Originally Posted by Monifieth Arab View Post
    I totally get what you're saying about the videos from his loans spells but for me right now he is playing with the shackles on, the majority of his passes have been backwards or sideways and there haven't been many attempts to drive forward with the ball. Whether this is down to team tactics and the way he is being asked to play or lack of confidence from the laddie because he's scared of making a mistake and getting dropped I'm not sure. Again my humble opinion he needs to be told you're in for the next 5 games go and play you're own game and show us what you can do, this constant pattern of in one game dropped the next 3 isn't working. So far this season only Fotheringham and Moult have a better minutes per goal ratio than Mochrie who is averaging a goal every 173 minutes played, Tony Watt is a goal per 442 minutes, Mochrie is more mobile and tries a hundred times harder he must watch Watt and think the manager must hate me to play that muppet in front of me.
    Agree about Mochrie's mobility he's also the fastest attacking player we have and has that natural ability to glide past players.

I defo think the way goodman wants the team to play dosnt suit a player like that. last week he had him scrambling about looking for Moult knockdowns ffs

Mochrie was playing League One football in these videos. Maybe that's his level? Three years on and I'm not seeing the progression I'd have hoped too.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Mochrie was playing League One football in these videos. Maybe that's his level? Three years on and I'm not seeing the progression I'd have hoped too.
    His goal against Dunfermline recently was a thing of quality
    Needs to be better managed

Quote Originally Posted by JUMPERZ View Post
    His goal against Dunfermline recently was a thing of quality
    Needs to be better managed
    In terms of what?

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    In terms of what?
    Consistency of selection

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)