+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Grass Sod

My condolences to both of you Pass and Dingle along with your families.
    RIP Grass Sod.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    He was my Father along with Dingle Councils. Unfortunately he's passed away from cancer being diagnosed with terminal illness 18 months ago. He had bad eyesight and had to have eye injections every three months to combat him going blind. That's why he posted in capitals sometimes.

He was a Red through and through since the early 60s and took me down to Oakwell as a kid. He also took me and r kid to Old Trafford a few times with the Park Rd supporters club which gave me an idea about life. Great days as a kid with some ups and downs along the way and I'd like to thank him for that.

Obviously I saw the light and chose supporting Barnsley thank fuq but the experiences of those trips watching the Reds and Man U shaped me not only as a football fan but also as a human being. Me and r kid also had the pleasure of going to Old Trafford and lifting the FA Cup trophy on an open day in 1983 or 85. I barely remember it as I was an infant but what a privilege that was.

He wasn't the best father by any means but memories like that and also experiencing the Bradford game sat side by side with him in the West Stand and shedding many tears together after Clint scored was unforgettable.

He used to tell me many a story of what it was like being a ardent Red in the early 1960s, troubled times for the club back then in the lower end of the 4th division and I was fascinated to learn and absorb all the information. He followed us home and away back then when he was an adolescent. One story (of many he teld mi) was of him going up to watch us at Darlington midweek with his 6 of his mates all packed into a Delboy style Robin Reliant and getting hammered 3 nowt, then telling (shouting) up to Ernest Dennis who was sat up in the dignitary seats after the game what a load of shyte he had just witnessed, only to be waved at was gold

RIP favver, love you and goodnight God bless.
    I send sincere sympathy to your all family & all Grass Sod's mates.I lost my Mum in 1984 & Mi Dad in 1990 and i still grieve for em both every single day.RIP Grass Sod.UTB

My condolences to all.
    RIP Grass Sod.
    I used to stand in that area below the west stand about the 18yd line when i was about 17, 61 years ago, if the reds were kicking towards the Ponty end if wrong run round the back of stand to other 18yd line.
    Last edited by Floridatyke; 20-12-2023 at 07:10 PM.

R.I.P. Sorry for your loss.

My thoughts are with you both and may your father RIP

Thank you all so much for showing respect and condolences. It would mean a lot to him.

We're just on with the unenviable task of clearing his flat and dealing with the many things a death brings. It's difficult and not something that can be rushed and seeing many of his possessions brings a smile and sadness.

Thanks once again guys, it's much appreciated ❤

And nice comments on BBS too, the sad news having been relayed by that good man Big Lil.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    And nice comments on BBS too, the sad news having been relayed by that good man Big Lil.
    Thanks for that SB. I very rarely read the BBS and am not a member of that board so I'd have not seen that thread started by Big Lil, a lovely and considerate thought by the bloke. Thank you Big Lil, you're a top bloke 👍

I’d just like to thank the media department at the club
    Me and Pass asked if the ifollow commentator would please mention my dad during the Stevenage match and the club got back to us straight away with a nice email expressing their condolences and promising they would try their best to carry out our wishes
    The ifollow commentator Matt said some lovely, sincere words before the match and mentioned him again in the second half
    Me n pass would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to Matt for that and to bfc media department
    With all the criticism the club receives, some of it rightly so I’d like to give the club some praise for the class they showed our family

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle council View Post
    I’d just like to thank the media department at the club
    Me and Pass asked if the ifollow commentator would please mention my dad during the Stevenage match and the club got back to us straight away with a nice email expressing their condolences and promising they would try their best to carry out our wishes
    The ifollow commentator Matt said some lovely, sincere words before the match and mentioned him again in the second half
    Me n pass would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to Matt for that and to bfc media department
    With all the criticism the club receives, some of it rightly so I’d like to give the club some praise for the class they showed our family
    I thought immediately it was your dad Dingle when I heard Matt mentioning the sad passing .

As you say nice touch from the club and a fitting result for your dad too .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast