+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Songs.

Christmas Songs.

For those who are bored, lonely or currently just a bit under the weather (like me )...and to fill the hiatus before Christmas...a little game/poll. All just opinion...no rights or wrongs, but what, in your opinion, are the best three (more if you like) Christmas songs.
    For me...1st. Fairy Tale of New York (Kirsty McColl and the Pogues...and not just for obvious sentimental reasons) 2nd. Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy (Bing Crosby and David Bowie). 3rd. I Believe in Father Christmas (Greg Lake).

I was going to do worst too but there are so many. Anything by Cliff Richard, Boney M and anyone singing ‘It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas’ before the second week of December would feature highly on my list.

Anyone?

#1 I agree

Others - I think we have to include Slade, if only because of it's longevity and also the Roy Wood & Wizard effort from the same era and same lingevity.

I always like the Jonah Lewie "Stop the Cavalry" but I'm sure that no universal as twas a little silly/quirky.

Other favourites

Killing in the Name - RATM
    Merry Christmas (I don't want to Fight Tonight) - Ramones
    Leroy the Redneck Reindeer - Joe Diffie (one for Gunt)
    I want an Alien for Christmas - Fountains of Wayne
    Backdoor Santa - Clarence Frogman Carter
    Christmas Card to a Hooker in Memphis - Tom Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    #1 I agree

Others - I think we have to include Slade, if only because of it's longevity and also the Roy Wood & Wizard effort from the same era and same lingevity.

I always like the Jonah Lewie "Stop the Cavalry" but I'm sure that no universal as twas a little silly/quirky.

Other favourites

Killing in the Name - RATM
    Merry Christmas (I don't want to Fight Tonight) - Ramones
    Leroy the Redneck Reindeer - Joe Diffie (one for Gunt)
    I want an Alien for Christmas - Fountains of Wayne
    Backdoor Santa - Clarence Frogman Carter
    Christmas Card to a Hooker in Memphis - Tom Wait
    A little more eclectic and none the worse for that. I didn’t include Slade and Roy Wood simply because I don’t like them, but their ‘longevity’ cannot be denied. Agree about Jona Lewie...also particularly appropriate this year...maybe the UN should have listened to it.

Hope you feel better by the sainted turkey day, rA. COVID? I was down with that for a week earlier this month and still only 90% now

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Hope you feel better by the sainted turkey day, rA. COVID? I was down with that for a week earlier this month and still only 90% now
    Thanks, GP. Isn’t that your second dose of Covid?

No, first career covid attack - not sure if Id mentioned it before which may have confuddled you. Managed to miss it in initial rampant years but now after 5 jabs, I get it! Suppose it would have been worse if Id had no jabs

Slade, Roy Wood, Ertha Kitt

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    For those who are bored, lonely or currently just a bit under the weather (like me )...and to fill the hiatus before Christmas...a little game/poll. All just opinion...no rights or wrongs, but what, in your opinion, are the best three (more if you like) Christmas songs.
    For me...1st. Fairy Tale of New York (Kirsty McColl and the Pogues...and not just for obvious sentimental reasons) 2nd. Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy (Bing Crosby and David Bowie). 3rd. I Believe in Father Christmas (Greg Lake).

I was going to do worst too but there are so many. Anything by Cliff Richard, Boney M and anyone singing ‘It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas’ before the second week of December would feature highly on my list.

Anyone?
    1. Greg Lake - I believe in Father Christmas. In my half of our house Christmas doesn’t start til I first hear this. And for some reason it’s not being played much at all this year so Christmas started late.

2. Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas. A song with a lovely feel and I always join in with the line ‘top to toe in tailbacks’ wherever I hear it

3 - Dean Martin - Let It Snow, as featured in my favourite Christmas movie, Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    1. Greg Lake - I believe in Father Christmas. In my half of our house Christmas doesn’t start til I first hear this. And for some reason it’s not being played much at all this year so Christmas started late.

2. Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas. A song with a lovely feel and I always join in with the line ‘top to toe in tailbacks’ wherever I hear it

3 - Dean Martin - Let It Snow, as featured in my favourite Christmas movie, Die Hard
    You have half the house? Were you in ‘My Wife Next Door’? (Ancient BBC ref...with John Alderton and Hannah Gordon I think.)

Thought you’d give me some stick for Greg Lake. ‘Driving Home for Christmas’ was my no.4 along with ‘Last Christmas’.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You have half the house? Were you in ‘My Wife Next Door’? (Ancient BBC ref...with John Alderton and Hannah Gordon I think.)

Thought you’d give me some stick for Greg Lake. ‘Driving Home for Christmas’ was my no.4 along with ‘Last Christmas’.
    When it comes to Christmas, yes. Would September suit?

Possibly little known fact, I sometimes walk my daughter’s dog past Greg Lake’s King Crimson successor’s childhood home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)