+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Costly shambolic

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    The thing I can't get my head around today is the folk saying it was only drizzle?? Firstly on way to Dens today I passed areas where there were massive areas of water on the road and park areas under water. It was battering down most of the night. Rainfall in our area is way above normal this year and a higher increase above 'normal' than any other area in Scotland. Official Rainfall for the last 24 hours measured at the two Dundee sites Baluniefield and Mylnefield was a fraction short of 20mm or about four fifths of an inch. Historically Dundee's annual rainfall has been 28/29 inches or about 700 mm. We therefore had one thirty fifth of our annual rainfall in about 12 hours (maybe better described as a third of a 'normal' month's rain overnight) because it wasn't raining at the start of the 24 hour period. Yes our drainage isn't as it was, not up to scratch definitely but that's not the whole story. A substantial amount of rain fell in our area, way more than "drizzle" onto already saturated ground from a lengthy period of more than average rainfall.

Imo its time to cut the club a bit of slack or is that beyond those with an agenda against them?
    Maybe get a pitch inspection then and save folk thousands of £sss

Maybe get the pitch sorted then and save folk and the club thousands of £sss

Maybe employ more capable people instead of surrounding yourself with yes men.

Maybe ( as you have done ) check the weather a bit more thoroughly if you don't want to do 1,2 or 3

Maybe get an early pitch inspection every time it rains, can't cost much and would help the paying customer.

Maybe time to get on Nelmsy case a wee bit, we cut him and the club far too much slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Just deflection from DFC.

And trying to cover tracks.

We as I have said many times very badly run.

Standards, standards, standards
    Scotland game was delayed for nearly 2hrs to get game played.

Blame the officials.

Fûck all to do with DFC,

Why do the club not invest in covers for both goalmouth areas of the Dens Park pitch to avoid home games being called off my the match referee just over an hour before kickoff.
    Incidentally. Who was the match referee who called off today’s (Saturday) game.

I have just discovered that the match referee was David Munro who called off today’s game.
    Munro has previous ‘form’ calling off a Dundee FC home league game due to a waterlogged pitch about an hour before kickoff.
    He previously called off a home game against Ayr United which was being played on the first Saturday in January 2020.
    Munro turned up wearing a lounge suit and refused to allow the Dundee FC ground staff continue working on a small wet patch of the pitch despite both managers stating that the pitch was payable and they were both keen for the game to go ahead.
    Perhaps David Munro still had some last minute Christmas shopping to do hence his failure to allow the Dundee FC ground staff to continue to work on the pitch even if it meant a delayed kick off which happened at Cove Rangers today.
    There was a delayed kick off for the Rangers game on 1st November 2023 so why not for the Aberdeen game.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Why do the club not invest in covers for both goalmouth areas of the Dens Park pitch to avoid home games being called off my the match referee just over an hour before kickoff.
    Incidentally. Who was the match referee who called off today’s (Saturday) game.
    They do have covers for both goalmouths and both goalmouths were covered. Covers help with frost but rain gets through and under them and they only have limited use in heavy rain.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I have just discovered that the match referee was David Munro who called off today’s game.
    Munro has previous ‘form’ calling off a Dundee FC home league game due to a waterlogged pitch about an hour before kickoff.
    He previously called off a home game against Ayr United which was being played on the first Saturday in January 2020.
    Munro turned up wearing a lounge suit and refused to allow the Dundee FC ground staff continue working on a small wet patch of the pitch despite both managers stating that the pitch was payable and they were both keen for the game to go ahead.
    Perhaps David Munro still had some last minute Christmas shopping to do hence his failure to allow the Dundee FC ground staff to continue to work on the pitch even if it meant a delayed kick off which happened at Cove Rangers today.
    There was a delayed kick off for the Rangers game on 1st November 2023 so why not for the Aberdeen game.
    It's not often I wholly agree with you Islay but this is one. Ridiculous that the ref didn't follow the protocols or allow work to continue while the rain was easing with a better immediate forecast. A half hour delay if that and the game would have gone ahead. A very puzzling decision by the ref!

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    Scotland game was delayed for nearly 2hrs to get game played.

Blame the officials.

Fûck all to do with DFC,
    Only an idiot would equate the two. 😎

G77.......if the game is in any doubt the club should ask the ref to attend 2 hours or earlier before KO.

H 11.2.....the pitch should be equipped with an efficient and effective drainage system so that it cannot become unplayable due to flooding.........or light drizzle 😆

H.12.... The board may, without prejudice, sanction any club failing H.2 and may require the club to rectify matters within a specific timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    G77.......if the game is in any doubt the club should ask the ref to attend 2 hours or earlier before KO.

H 11.2.....the pitch should be equipped with an efficient and effective drainage system so that it cannot become unplayable due to flooding.........or light drizzle 😆

H.12.... The board may, without prejudice, sanction any club failing H.2 and may require the club to rectify matters within a specific timeframe.
    Point #1. The club genuinely thought the ground was playable and easily playable to the extent that they felt a pitch inspection was not required at all. The weather forecast was for the rain to be off by late morning and this turned out to be wrong (as our weather forecasting has been much recently). The rain although not particularly heavy by that time, unlike overnight, came at a bad time when the largely useless covers came off. Personally with the record of our pitch, the uncertainty of the weather and the large travelling support I reckon we should have had an earlier inspection. However I also reckon an earlier inspection would have given the game the go ahead and similarly another referee may well have come to another decision than made by David Munro.

Point#2. No pitch can be totally weather proof. Even the best pitches can become waterlogged with enough rain in a short enough period. Spurs' new pitch with the best state of the art drainage almost had a game postponed last season after a downpour but the game went ahead in way worse conditions underfoot than there was at Dens yesterday. In saying that I wholeheartedly agree our pitch needs upgrading because even if the new stadium does materialise, and I still have my doubts, we will be at Dens for a couple more seasons.

Point#3. I seriously doubt if sanctions will be raised or brought against the club especially after a marginal decision like yesterday's however with our record this season any/many more postponements could bring that on. It is generally accepted that rainfall is higher than normal especially in this area of late so again sanctions would be unjust as well as unlikely. I also accept the point made by others on the Dark Blues site that making a song and dance about it and committing the cardinal sin of criticising a referee in public could result in (petulant) sanctions more likely from the SFA than the SPFL though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    Point #1. The club genuinely thought the ground was playable and easily playable to the extent that they felt a pitch inspection was not required at all. The weather forecast was for the rain to be off by late morning and this turned out to be wrong (as our weather forecasting has been much recently). The rain although not particularly heavy by that time, unlike overnight, came at a bad time when the largely useless covers came off. Personally with the record of our pitch, the uncertainty of the weather and the large travelling support I reckon we should have had an earlier inspection. However I also reckon an earlier inspection would have given the game the go ahead and similarly another referee may well have come to another decision than made by David Munro.

Point#2. No pitch can be totally weather proof. Even the best pitches can become waterlogged with enough rain in a short enough period. Spurs' new pitch with the best state of the art drainage almost had a game postponed last season after a downpour but the game went ahead in way worse conditions underfoot than there was at Dens yesterday. In saying that I wholeheartedly agree our pitch needs upgrading because even if the new stadium does materialise, and I still have my doubts, we will be at Dens for a couple more seasons.

Point#3. I seriously doubt if sanctions will be raised or brought against the club especially after a marginal decision like yesterday's however with our record this season any/many more postponements could bring that on. It is generally accepted that rainfall is higher than normal especially in this area of late so again sanctions would be unjust as well as unlikely. I also accept the point made by others on the Dark Blues site that making a song and dance about it and committing the cardinal sin of criticising a referee in public could result in (petulant) sanctions more likely from the SFA than the SPFL though.
    Much more reasoned, hope you sent resignation letter to the happy clappers club in a timely fashion.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)