+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head in the sand

That was a strange performance, haven't seen us so passive at home for a while and lacking intensity, I didn't think Newcastle were that good but they didn't have to be to control this game. Unfortunate with the 2nd goal but we got what we deserved and I'm mystified as to why changes were not made sooner as was the case away at Utd.

To add to the above, Watkins finish was excellent and the disallowed one even better, his goals and assists really are key and Emery has got to find a way to expand our threat to stop defenders doubling up on him.

There were a few times we were in good positions first half but couldn't find the final pass across goal/pull-backs - we also really miss Pau. We peaked in that Man City game, haven't seen those levels since and the goals have largely dried up so changes needed.

Not many of us were expecting that, tbf. At times we looked back to our best but, if Bailey had started, it may well have been very different. You've hit a wee sticky patch but that's inevitable. Tou've proved yourselves to be a very good team with a very good managerand a few indifferent results han't changed that. Good luck for the rest of the season, lads.

i am chuffed with how we are going... I hat seeing losses... but thinking back to the start of the season no way i would've thought we'd be sitting where we are....

when we playing attacking football (not that i have seen many games) we are a very exciting football team to watch and can match it with the best... but ultimately on the pay books we aint supposed to be at the top end of the ladder....

So chuffed i am

Well that was better, as much as Sheff Utd were awful we were at-it and our set up was much better with Tielemans supporting Ollie. The goals were all good in their own right but that assist from Dougie for the 2nd was sublime, 2 in 2 now for Ollie plus involved with 2 of the others.

Tim looked comfortable in his cameo too.

I'd like to see our setup evolve into a back 3 of Pau/Carlos/Konsa and use the left FB as a winger with the remaining option of Bailey/Diaby or a right FB attacking down the right so we have enough bodies in the middle to win the midfield battle & provide more support to Ollie?

Now Kamara gone for the season. Is that like 5 serious knee injuries now? So how do we line up away to Fulham ? Can’t see how we’ll hold a high line.
    Anyway I hope for the best but fear a serious slump. I said at the beginning of the season we have a great squad but not a deep squad and injuries may ruin our season.

I fear the same Oz, we coped well without Kamara last season with McGinn in the engine room and with Ramsey back at least we have a tried & tested group in front of our depleted back 4. Only option as I can see until Konsa is back is for Pau to play alongside Lenglet, we will be cannon fodder at set pieces without that physicality Carlos or Konsa bring. Not sure if we can select anyone from the U21's?

I saw a stat, I think it was from the Irish Podcaster Neil, that we do rather well, points-wise, without Kamara. Ramsey looks like he’s up to speed, Yuri not so, Big Tim is available, so we may get by.

Defensively, our FBs cannot defend and are a liability. FWIW, we still have Chambers.

I think we were unlucky against manure. Officials had 2 reasons to prevent the 1st goal, and cash & dougie gave McTavish a free run and header, for the 2nd. Barndoor-itis infected the front 6.

The manager can’t do anything about any of that lot now. Hopefully, he can in the summer.

Exiled I think we made stupid mistakes vs Utd, Kamara going up against McGuire is a mismatch then trying to catch them offside as the ball comes in when we have strikers defending is just asking for trouble. For their 2nd, Moreno is running away from the man he should have picked up, it was him who provided the cross for McTominey - basics.

That said, the difference in energy in this game vs Newcastle & Chelsea was good to see but makes those two fixtures even more frustrating. Ramsey for me tends to look brighter on the big occasion, less so against bottom half sides overall where perhaps the players need to get the fans off their seats.

On Kamara - we coped well last season and vs Fulham I thought we looked more like we did last season. I feel Emery needs to make changes sooner than he does sometimes, Fulham were bossing the midfield towards the end and then he sticks on Diaby who is powder-puff where some physicality is needed. Same vs Utd away at HT, Ramsey on a yellow and miles off it & they had momentum - can't believe they've had 6pts off us this season.

Pressure may well be a factor, WCV. It’s very noticeable how much the Sky 6 agents, Carragher, Neville, Keown, TalkSh1te, etc have been blowing smoke up our ar5es, with talk of top 4, in an attempt to project pressure away from their own. The gullible fans suck it up, and let the players know. VP can be a horrible place when things aren’t happening.

It’s all a learning curve. I’ve heard it said that 90% of the game is played in the top 6 inches. The world's top players, not the Wonderkids, or the flat-track bullies, I mean the really top players, who have incredible mental strength on the pitch. Unfortunately, most leave it all on the pitch.

UTV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)