+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: King Luke to Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by shoot_five View Post

For the first time in many years watching Notts I am genuinely very hopeful for the future and have confidence that one manager leaving, a star player being poached, or whatever, isn't a disaster and I get the impression the owners always have a contingency plan. Even during the good times I bet they know keep an eye on who is available and would suit the style, just in case something unforeseen happens.
    You would imagine that ambitious coaches would look at how things are developing at Notts & would love to get on board if the chance came along.

Just come across this interesting article.
    https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footba...tential-costs-

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Just come across this interesting article.
    https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footba...tential-costs-
    That's an interesting read - I particularly like the comment that the brothers are hard negotiators and take their ownership of Notts very seriously, at a deep and personal level. That should be obvious though when you look at what they have invested.

My take is that I would be really disappointed if Williams goes now, but wouldn't blame him if he wants to better himself. The question though, is whether bettering himself means solely in a higher league with more income, or would he be better taking a longer term view and continue what he is building here at Notts?

I'd be worried if LW left. Pavis and Dunnett are looked back on as the best owners we ever had but they soon found out that replacing a successful manager was no easy task and Burchnall proved that the current owners don't have the Midas touch.
    I'd expect Notts to enjoy a new manager bounce and comfortably make the play offs, but if we didn't go up this season then I can see supporters soon starting to feel nostalgic for the LW era. Probability says successful managers don't come one after the other, certainly not at Notts.

Why is it the the likes of Parkinson and Chalinor never seem to get a mention when a vacancy arises ???

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Why is it the the likes of Parkinson and Chalinor never seem to get a mention when a vacancy arises ???
    Good question. I guess both clubs have bigger budgets and as a result bigger ambitions? Wrexham in particular are a unique proposition, although I'm not sure all managers would appreciate the media circus and related distractions. LW is also a bit of a maverick to say the least, whereas the others are more traditional in their approach.

Good question.

Might it be because we play better football, in a style that is in much demand up the leagues?

Asked the same when he was linked with Oxford? Maybe because he doesn't need to spend big?

The problem for any club that wants LW is, he won't bring overnight success with his playing philosophy. Are owners prepared to wait? I doubt it, that's why they sacked someone in the 1st place. Also the grass isn't always greener on the other side
    Last edited by irishpete; 29-12-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    I tend not to listen to hearsay that much, but there's absolutely loads of stuff going around now about LW joining Swansea as manager.
    Some of it is just tweeting, but there are other sources that seem more solid. Anyone else seen, heard, bothered, worried? I certainly am!
    Speculation about LW moving onto a bigger club at a higher level is something that we will have to learn to deal with. I’d sooner us be in this situation than in the past whereby it was the opposite and we would be speculating when we anticipate they get the sack. We know the club and LW are doing something right if other clubs are noticing this.

I don’t think LW needs to comment either every time there is speculation and reassure fans either. He is a very popular and much loved manager at this club and has written himself into the history books by taking us back to the football league where we belong. I still feel that he has more to achieve here first and promotion to league one would be another feather in the clubs and his cap whenever that maybe and increase his stock further. As was said in the recent BBC article it’s not unrealistic for the club to have ambitions to be an upper league one / lower championship level. There is no reason LW with the right support can’t be the man to take us there. Like our players he is also under contract as well.

Of course I would/will be gutted like many fans when LW does eventually leave and hopefully it won’t be for a few more years. But as others have said he has a family and career to think about and if and when he feels it’s the time for him to try a new challenge then it would be selfish to begrudge or resent someone for making the move. As I believe LW alluded to in a past interview we as fans should be confident that his successor when the times come will continue the work operating under the clubs model and philosophy that has brought us to where we are today.

Bigger wages at their clubs and also their style of play isnt suited to certain clubs.

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast