+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3878868788

Thread: King Luke to Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    To be honest, I doubt he gave 100% towards the end with his mind on Swansea - which likely had some impact on our results.

LW struck me as the type who could not switch off but he would have had to devote a fair bit of his time preparing for the interview and then thinking about the task in hand once he was confident he was in with a good chance of landing the job, which is understandable. I think he was also very interested in the Oxford job, which pretty much coincided with our sudden loss of form. I think the Oxford link came up ahead of the Wrexham game.

I can't say I listened to his pre-match interviews so it's possible I might be wrong about this, but I got the impression he wasn't altogether happy with the business or lack of that Notts did in the summer. There's something to be said for giving a promoted squad the chance to prove themselves, but that wasn't a point that LW seemed to push.
    He may well have felt privately that he'd taken us as far as he could with the restrictions placed upon him.
    Even though he's gone this is going to run and run - If we don't get promotion this year or even get in the play offs people will be left with a "what if" feeling.
    You say that he felt he'd taken Notts as far as he could or he wasn't totally happy with the business in the summer, well I think they might be something in that as he told fans after Wembley that we're going again - he felt it was possible we would get promoted again and when he was asked after the first 2 matches (Sutton and Lincoln LC) he was asked if there would be new signings for the next game and replied "I don't know" and tbh looked a bit fed up, fortunately results picked up after that so it wasn't asked again until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    If we don't get promotion this year or even get in the play offs people will be left with a "what if" feeling.
    Yep, I think this will be a pressure placed upon the next manager that LW wasn't under, as a direct result of fans making the comparison.
    Some will no doubt argue - with some merit - that we were sliding down the table anyway, but it won't be a good look for whoever takes charge if we end up missing out.
    It will also be a tall order to start next season as well as we have done this one.

Can't imagine fans having much patience for the type of manager who makes a lot of excuses and paints a different picture of a game to the one fans have just seen with their own eyes. LW was usually very honest in his post match assessments.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    To be honest, I doubt he gave 100% towards the end with his mind on Swansea - which likely had some impact on our results.

LW struck me as the type who could not switch off but he would have had to devote a fair bit of his time preparing for the interview and then thinking about the task in hand once he was confident he was in with a good chance of landing the job, which is understandable. I think he was also very interested in the Oxford job, which pretty much coincided with our sudden loss of form. I think the Oxford link came up ahead of the Wrexham game.

I can't say I listened to his pre-match interviews so it's possible I might be wrong about this, but I got the impression he wasn't altogether happy with the business or lack of that Notts did in the summer. There's something to be said for giving a promoted squad the chance to prove themselves, but that wasn't a point that LW seemed to push.
    He may well have felt privately that he'd taken us as far as he could with the restrictions placed upon him.
    How can you be unhappy with bringing in McGoldrick and Crowley in the summer, any L2 team would have these two in a shot! Maybe he was disappointed we didn't bring in a top class keeper but aren't we all.

I don't believe he was interested in the Oxford job at all but I'm sure his links at Swansea would have been keeping him in the loop regarding what was going off at Swansea as they were just about to sack the manager there. This would align with our sudden loss of form for sure. He was always going to leave for the Swansea job even though he was their 2nd choice. Their owners will be wanting to be in the play offs next season, no if's or buts.

My last contibution on the subject.
    https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footba...nd-the-outcome

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    How can you be unhappy with bringing in McGoldrick and Crowley in the summer, any L2 team would have these two in a shot! Maybe he was disappointed we didn't bring in a top class keeper but aren't we all.

I don't believe he was interested in the Oxford job at all but I'm sure his links at Swansea would have been keeping him in the loop regarding what was going off at Swansea as they were just about to sack the manager there. This would align with our sudden loss of form for sure. He was always going to leave for the Swansea job even though he was their 2nd choice. Their owners will be wanting to be in the play offs next season, no if's or buts.
    I don’t believe for one minute it was down to that. The last bad result/performance was Harrogate which was over 3 weeks ago which was then followed up by 2 excellent displays.

Obviously you could argue the Tranmere game was effected but I’d put that more down to them playing a tough team away and the usual naivety from certain players, the effort was there.

LW was clearly not their first choice, if he was it wouldn’t have took 5 weeks to get it over the line.

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3878868788