+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Sunderland Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Didn’t go to match but just reading this thread shows up some inconsistencies.

Rathbone being criticised for his “ willingness” whilst Cafu is criticised for not having any.

In my opinion Cafu isn’t on his own when it comes to a laid back approach and it’s been a contributing factor in our demise
    Football is by its nature subjective but I thought Cafu played well when he came on last night. He linked really well with Bramhall a few times attacking and defending.

I agree he looked complacent before his injury but there is a player there and hopefully LR can get a tune out of him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Football is by its nature subjective but I thought Cafu played well when he came on last night. He linked really well with Bramhall a few times attacking and defending.

I agree he looked complacent before his injury but there is a player there and hopefully LR can get a tune out of him again.
    And that tune would be Eddie Grant - I don’t wanna dance

I agree about Cafu, he did well in his cameo appearance apart from that awful free kick into a 2 man wall.
    What's gone wrong with him in dead ball situations? He used to offer a real threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    First of all the opposition, how are they a top end team ?
    Clarke is a very good if a bit greedy winger, but that's it,bang average.
    Richardson is slowly turning a crippled, boring half a squad into something that might win some games.
    I was worried when our heart beat,Ollie, was missing, but Clucas had a great game while he lasted, and if he stays fit is a real asset.
    Some other great performances, but Revan really stood out for me, can get forward,and most importantly he can defend, don't forget, he was up against one of the best wide men in the league last night.
    Nombe is starting to look like he's worth a million, hard working, very mobile, and gets into some good positions, pity he didn't score though.
    I Don't think Dexter is what we need right now,great feet,but no good as a defender,surely Kioso would be better.
    We are still desperate for an attacking outlet, either a winger, or an AMF,sadly Cohen doesn't fill that role.
    Be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks, think a couple of the sicknotes should be culled,replaced by players who can get us up the pitch .

Agree Revan Clucas till he tired among our better players last night. Dext was a weakness Bramall also. Cafu just don't think he's our type of battling player. None of subs brought on made an impact.

We still have this negative mentality that we can’t shrug that when we go in front we all drop 5 yards deeper. We probably scored too early.

Clucas was really impressive and it was a shame he ran out of steam but Morrison was a different class. He won everything and was constantly talking to Haks and Revan.

I thought Christ has had a very good last 2 games as well.
    Christ should be good at Xmas, but he will have to watch the crosses at Easter.

Isn’t it good that the debate after the game is about which of our players in a particular position should start rather than negative parts of our overall performance, well done to LR for making us look like a well organised unit again. Regards the Hugill debate I do agree he is a decent player, but he lets himself down. Example, injury time first half he runs 5 yards and rugby tackles thier player and gives away a needless freekick and puts us back under pressure, this is not the behaviour of an experienced professional. Too many times when he does win the ball, he doesn't have an end product, by that i mean a simple pass or layoff. Yes he did that for the Nombe chance but numerous times in the game he didn't do it, examples a free header in the first had all the time in the world to take it on his chest and layoff, bringing in the midfield, he flicked it on without looking and lost possesion, in the second half we were breaking and he had a simple pass to nombe and tried a fancy flick with the outside of the boot, yet again lost possesion leading to a Sunderland break. Even les payne who rarely criticises a player picked up on both those examples, there were many more. He is also slow to get into the box to have a chance to get onto a cross, dexter put in a lovely cross in the second half and Hugill was wandering in rather than sprinting, this left Nombe alone against two CBs. I get annoyed with him because he is clearly better than this, there are too many examples in every game. Now why I think giving eaves a few starts is not because I think he is Haaland or anything daft it is because i think it will benefit both players, Eaves will have to work hard to prove he deserves the shirt and Hugill will have to earn the shirt back when he comes on. Eaves gave O'Nien far more problems when he came on, hence O'Nien falling holding his head with every challenge, he was struggling against Eaves in the air. I just think Hugill can do better and eaves deserves a chance with a few starts.

Totally agree Scum and he seemed motivated and was full of fight.

Our activity during our thrown-ins from Dexter with no one making a run. Cafu changed this and was buzzing around all over the place and offering options.

If he stays motivated. He plays for me

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Totally agree Scum and he seemed motivated and was full of fight.

Our activity during our thrown-ins from Dexter with no one making a run. Cafu changed this and was buzzing around all over the place and offering options.

If he stays motivated. He plays for me
    He be gone end off the season.

He won't play in league 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    Isn’t it good that the debate after the game is about which of our players in a particular position should start rather than negative parts of our overall performance, well done to LR for making us look like a well organised unit again. Regards the Hugill debate I do agree he is a decent player, but he lets himself down. Example, injury time first half he runs 5 yards and rugby tackles thier player and gives away a needless freekick and puts us back under pressure, this is not the behaviour of an experienced professional. Too many times when he does win the ball, he doesn't have an end product, by that i mean a simple pass or layoff. Yes he did that for the Nombe chance but numerous times in the game he didn't do it, examples a free header in the first had all the time in the world to take it on his chest and layoff, bringing in the midfield, he flicked it on without looking and lost possesion, in the second half we were breaking and he had a simple pass to nombe and tried a fancy flick with the outside of the boot, yet again lost possesion leading to a Sunderland break. Even les payne who rarely criticises a player picked up on both those examples, there were many more. He is also slow to get into the box to have a chance to get onto a cross, dexter put in a lovely cross in the second half and Hugill was wandering in rather than sprinting, this left Nombe alone against two CBs. I get annoyed with him because he is clearly better than this, there are too many examples in every game. Now why I think giving eaves a few starts is not because I think he is Haaland or anything daft it is because i think it will benefit both players, Eaves will have to work hard to prove he deserves the shirt and Hugill will have to earn the shirt back when he comes on. Eaves gave O'Nien far more problems when he came on, hence O'Nien falling holding his head with every challenge, he was struggling against Eaves in the air. I just think Hugill can do better and eaves deserves a chance with a few starts.
    Even if every one of your critiques of Hugill are fair (which I don't think they are, some have merit however) he is still much the better option than Eaves IMO. Eaves didn't cause O'Nien that many problems, he kept fouling when he came on. You have picked up on Hugill doing that but conveniently forgot Eaves doing it continuously.

I don't believe Eaves is an answer to any question that we have apart from 'who would we ship out if we could?'.

I'd rather focus on getting Hugill to be the player he can be rather than trying to make Eaves the player he can't be.

Safe to say we will agree to disagree on this one.

I didn't think Cafu did much when he came on tbh. Others seem to have seen something but I just remember him wasting a freekick (should of crossed, we looked dangerous from them) and half closing down the keeper a couple of times. He can be a huge player for us though, undoubtedly.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast