+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Anyone still supporting the Millers May Day?

O/T Anyone still supporting the Millers May Day?

I've been giving this some thought. It really is so outdated now and needs a makeover/rethink taking it forward.

It's so cringeworthy when the draw is sometimes made and it takes as many as four draws until they pull a winner out. If you base that on the averages, it shows just how many have packed it in.

Personally I've been in it approximately 30 years, I've won the first prize twice and had one consolation £25 win. I know of others who have won it more times than me and one mate who, the last time we spoke, has never won a thing and he joined roughly the same time as me. The money collected does help fund something within the club, what exactly I don't know.

Has anyone got any ideas that may help and re launch a new kind of half time club incentive to get new participants omboard other than Millers May Day?

Currently it's:

First prize £1000
    2nd £40
    3rd £25.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I've been giving this some thought. It really is so outdated now and needs a makeover/rethink taking it forward.

It's so cringeworthy when the draw is sometimes made and it takes as many as four draws until they pull a winner out. If you base that on the averages, it shows just how many have packed it in.

Personally I've been in it approximately 30 years, I've won the first prize twice and had one consolation £25 win. I know of others who have won it more times than me and one mate who, the last time we spoke, has never won a thing and he joined roughly the same time as me. The money collected does help fund something within the club, what exactly I don't know.

Has anyone got any ideas that may help and re launch a new kind of half time club incentive to get new participants omboard other than Millers May Day?

Currently it's:

First prize £1000
    2nd £40
    3rd £25.
    Brin thanks for posting this, I have been a member since the 80's won a couple of £25 and that's it.
    The lack of development of this source of revenue illustrates everything that is wrong with the clubs infrastructure. The Mayday scheme is there to fund youth development TS pays lip service to youth development so I guess he is not interested unless I am wrong the the top prize and the entry fee have not changed for over 30 years.
    £1,000 30 years ago is worth roughly £2,500 today. £2 a week entry fee would be a £5 a week today.
    The whole thing wants scrapping or needs a radical overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by HensonsPRman View Post
    Brin thanks for posting this, I have been a member since the 80's won a couple of £25 and that's it.
    The lack of development of this source of revenue illustrates everything that is wrong with the clubs infrastructure. The Mayday scheme is there to fund youth development TS pays lip service to youth development so I guess he is not interested unless I am wrong the the top prize and the entry fee have not changed for over 30 years.
    £1,000 30 years ago is worth roughly £2,500 today. £2 a week entry fee would be a £5 a week today.
    The whole thing wants scrapping or needs a radical overhaul.
    Thank you for replying, truly appreciated. You make very valid points. I also feel this needs addressing asap so, I’ll make it a personal quest to visit the club and discuss it further.

Yep, won the first prize 4 times plus a few consolations

I mean I popped into the club shop last night to fill out the form before setting up the standing order after the game. Should I not have bothered?

Got to admit I’m a big fan of it I’ve won the top prize a few times and consider myself very lucky I have 4 numbers and I think it’s just under £26 a month I think the odds of winning are far better(1500 numbers) than the lottery geegees for example and it’s the only thing I “gamble on”
    I do agree with Brin though the 5 attempts to pull a number out is cringeworthy, don’t have any suggestions though even if we did would not be followed up on as RUFC is run like those WMC committees in the 70s

I will have to find the picture of the first ever £1,000 enlarged Millers May-Day cheque,
    held by my Father, with the other Rotherham United Supporters Commitee.

I joined the Millers May-Day draw, my number was 713, but I packed it in quite sometime since.
    Last edited by Ericsladkilnhurst; 30-12-2023 at 10:00 PM.

Won it 4 times got 2 numbers. Is it just random numbers drawn out? If so if a valid number isn't drawn out straight away roll it over to next draw then £2,000 to the winner & so on. I'd scrap minor prizes & put that money to yearly major prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

Currently it's:

First prize £1000
    2nd £40
    3rd £25.
    I’ve had my number since it started in the mid 80’s and won the main prize twice.

It does need revisiting though.

Similar format but more numbers available at an increased price per number (to reflect inflation) would enable a bigger first prize and more money spread over a larger pool of secondary prizes. This would probably make it more attractive.

Also let the fans know (reminder) what it’s for!

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Won it 4 times got 2 numbers. Is it just random numbers drawn out? If so if a valid number isn't drawn out straight away roll it over to next draw then £2,000 to the winner & so on. I'd scrap minor prizes & put that money to yearly major prize.
    gru, I can clearly recall the annual major prize and it was always a Vauxhall Viva being paraded around the pitch at Millmoor. Now convert that to an annual major prize day and you’re looking at maybe £10,000+ for a small hatchback. Something like that may incentivise more folk to gave a go at the MMD.

To make it look more professional and less embarrassing when drawing it, look how many now are actually in it and limit the numbers to be in line with them. There clearly isn't 1,500 members now so bring it down to a thousand. My number is 1016 but I wouldn't object to have a new number issued.
    Last edited by Brin; 30-12-2023 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast