+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hakeem Odoffin - I got it wrong!

Hakeem Odoffin - I got it wrong!

Hakeem Odoffin - I got it wrong! Now one of our strongest assets ,but in the bit parts he got under Warne he looked ordinary at best.

My point is that I think as supporters we can be too quick to judge a player. A can think of numerous examples where initially players looked crap but turned out to be rather better given time. Here's a few that spring to mind :-

Jerry Yates
    JCH
    Shaun Goater (one for the oldies - people round me used to slaughter him).
    John Swift on loan -looked slow as a boat.

Anymore?

Whilst he is older and not suddenly likely improve - could Tom Eaves be another one!!
    Last edited by CAMiller; 30-12-2023 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Title

Quote Originally Posted by jockey View Post
    Hakeem Odoffin - I got it wrong! Now one of our strongest assets ,but in the bit parts he got under Warne he looked ordinary at best.

My point is that I think as supporters we can be too quick to judge a player. A can think of numerous examples where initially players looked crap but turned out to be rather better given time. Here's a few that spring to mind :-

Jerry Yates
    JCH
    Shaun Goater (one for the oldies - people round me used to slaughter him).
    John Swift on loan -looked slow as a boat.

Anymore?

Whilst he is older and not suddenly likely improve - could Tom Eaves be another one!!
    I argued with a mate saying Hakeem was a steady defensive midfielder with game time would be a rufc staple. he reconned hes never slept with a footballer.
    Now he reckons Bola has something to offer and I think he's shyte.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    I argued with a mate saying Hakeem was a steady defensive midfielder with game time would be a rufc staple. he reconned hes never slept with a footballer.
    Now he reckons Bola has something to offer and I think he's shyte.
    I have said before that I always thought there was a player in Odoffin, before he got the game time he needed under MT, and I've also thought exactly the same about Bola, that there is a player in there, although time is running out for him. UTM

Not sure you’ve got it wrong
    He’s improved over time and adapted to the rigours of the league we’re in which is not easy
    Any of the English leagues are a bit step up from the Scottish ones

Credit due to our coaches and previous manager

Said while ago that we should seek to offer him a new contract, he’s so versatile and seems to do very well and whichever role he’s asked to play - a few goals in him as well. Personally I think he’s a better version of Ajayi

I think I'm right in saying that when we signed Haks from Hamilton there was a stat saying he had made the most defensive tackles in Europe the season before....(or something to that effect). It was very much a marque signing at the time but he just didn't get the game time under Warne. I always felt he'd come into his own and it proves that patience can play a big part,not just in football,but in most aspects of life.Do we have the option of another year this Summer?

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Not sure you’ve got it wrong
    He’s improved over time and adapted to the rigours of the league we’re in which is not easy
    Any of the English leagues are a bit step up from the Scottish ones

Credit due to our coaches and previous manager
    Not one of the Warne boo boys he did a great job for us, however he deserves no credit for Haks.

Very early on in his time with us Haks came on as sub and cost us a goal. Barker went mad and Warne never played him again in the league. If Warne was still here Haks would have been moved on, so please do not credit Warne and the previous coaches, this is maybe the one thing Mat Taylor and his coaching team deserve credit for.

Haks should have been involved in the Papa John's squad at Wembley but Warne left him out after he had contributed to us getting to the final

Quote Originally Posted by HensonsPRman View Post
    Not one of the Warne boo boys he did a great job for us, however he deserves no credit for Haks.

Very early on in his time with us Haks came on as sub and cost us a goal. Barker went mad and Warne never played him again in the league. If Warne was still here Haks would have been moved on, so please do not credit Warne and the previous coaches, this is maybe the one thing Mat Taylor and his coaching team deserve credit for.
    I wasn’t crediting PW.
    The player improved dramatically during MT,s tenure and under the coaches that MT brought to rufc
    Where did I say it was PW? RUFC’s previous Manager was MT, PW was two Managers ago
    Last edited by flourbasher; 31-12-2023 at 09:44 AM.

Alan Lee started off his RUFC career quite slowly.
    Where would we be without him.

JCH let himself down for several managers and finally came good - right club / right manager perhaps - or maybe he realised his career was passing him by.
    Well done to Jonson for coming good at last - always thought 🤔 there was a player in there.

Hawks - very underated versatile player- very polite and has deserved all his Man of the Match awards he's won - long may it continue.

HAWKS- my personal nickname for him- ( believe ithat or not.)
    Swoops like a bird into the tackle - sometimes a rash tackle where he gets a yellow card - deserved his chance in the team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast