+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Another film you just cannot turn off

O/T Another film you just cannot turn off

Flicking through the boring Festive TV and .....I come across 'The GodFather'.

Marlon Brando had just been shot but I was straight into it like putting on an old favourite slipper.

How does anyone else rate this trilogy of films?

I have visited Sicily where they shot a lot of the film, not on purpose but by sheer chance part of our holiday at the time.

As a footnote, I could watch this lot every year and never tire of it.

Did the Godfather tour earlier this year on holiday in Taormina(fabulous place and tremendous food) and got the obligatory Bar Vitelli photos.The first 2 films are excellent,the third very much less so. Apparently Brando never set foot in Sicily during filming but Pacino was there all the time and still makes frequent returns.

Like you Brin love the Godfather the first 2 excellent last one very average

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    Did the Godfather tour earlier this year on holiday in Taormina(fabulous place and tremendous food) and got the obligatory Bar Vitelli photos.The first 2 films are excellent,the third very much less so. Apparently Brando never set foot in Sicily during filming but Pacino was there all the time and still makes frequent returns.
    Expensive place is Taormina when it comes to food and drink, but yes a nice place to visit.

Hard to imagine when looking down at the Straits of Messina that many of the crusader knights would have taken that route on their way to the Holy Land and later allied troops doing the same trip in WW2 for the Italy invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Flicking through the boring Festive TV and .....I come across 'The GodFather'.

Marlon Brando had just been shot but I was straight into it like putting on an old favourite slipper.

How does anyone else rate this trilogy of films?

I have visited Sicily where they shot a lot of the film, not on purpose but by sheer chance part of our holiday at the time.

As a footnote, I could watch this lot every year and never tire of it.
    I'm afraid I seem to be very much in the minority.
    After years of hearing how good they were, the first two particularly, I finally got round to starting watching The Godfather, earlier this year.
    Unlike you Brin, I did manage to turn it off. I just couldn't get into it at all and found it quite ponderous.
    I never bothered with any of the others.

Coincidentally, during this festive period, I did catch the start of the second one while flicking through the channels.
    That did seem much better, but it was very late, so again turned it off, but will try to catch that again.

Talking of gangster films, I happened to notice The Long Good Friday on 4 player last week and thoroughly enjoyed watching that again.
    Marvelous film, brilliant actors and a wonderful score to match.

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    I'm afraid I seem to be very much in the minority.
    After years of hearing how good they were, the first two particularly, I finally got round to starting watching The Godfather, earlier this year.
    Unlike you Brin, I did manage to turn it off. I just couldn't get into it at all and found it quite ponderous.
    I never bothered with any of the others.

Coincidentally, during this festive period, I did catch the start of the second one while flicking through the channels.
    That did seem much better, but it was very late, so again turned it off, but will try to catch that again.

Talking of gangster films, I happened to notice The Long Good Friday on 4 player last week and thoroughly enjoyed watching that again.
    Marvelous film, brilliant actors and a wonderful score to match.
    Agree entirely on the LGF

I was down that way back in October, the locations for the film are quite literally unrecognisable now

The scene when Michael shoots Sollozzo and McCluskey in the Italian restaurant is one if not the all time best scenes ever filmed .

The atmosphere and tension , the sound of the trains when Michael is searching for the gun in toilet .

When Michael and Sollozzo start talking in Italian , there aren't any subtitles and it just builds what's going to happen .

It's just pure genius .

One thing about that scene I've never understood though , after Michael shoots the both of them , why does he drop the gun on the floor before walking away ?

Why would you leave the murder weapon at the scene of the crime that ties you to it ?

I don't watch long winded films like that! Watched carry on doctor last night still funny!

The first 2 Godfather films are nothing short of genius.

The last episode of sopranos echos the Michael in the restaurant beautifully

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    The first 2 Godfather films are nothing short of genius.

The last episode of sopranos echos the Michael in the restaurant beautifully
    The Sopranos is the best tv series ever made in my opinion .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast