+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match ratings v Tranmere

Match ratings v Tranmere

Stone 4
    Brindley 4
    Baldwin 6
    Cameron 5
    Nemane 5
    Jones 7
    Bostock 5
    Austin 5
    Crowley 6
    McGoldrick 5
    Langstaff 7

JOB 5
    Sanderson 5
    Last edited by SwalePie; 02-01-2024 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in title

About right, perhaps Austin a 6? Pretty lacklustre performance and struggled to stop Tranny coming at us.

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Stone 4
    Brindley 4
    Baldwin 6
    Cameron 5
    Nemane 5
    Jones 7
    Bostock 5
    Austin 5
    Crowley 6
    McGoldrick 5
    Langstaff 7

JOB 5
    Sanderson 5
    Difficult really as we played some great stuff in the first half. Pretty bad in the second half, weren’t going to score in a month of Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Stone 4
    Brindley 4
    Baldwin 6
    Cameron 5
    Nemane 5
    Jones 7
    Bostock 5
    Austin 5
    Crowley 6
    McGoldrick 5
    Langstaff 7

JOB 5
    Sanderson 5
    About right. Stone's penalty save can't hide a shaky performance.

His concession of the second penalty undid any credit from saving the first. Really not sure why he did not come more quickly to collect that through ball. Am I not alone in thinking that the renewal of the Mair loan at the start of the season has proven to be a mistake? One that might be rectified at the end of this when Archie may become a free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by KintoreMagpie View Post
    His concession of the second penalty undid any credit from saving the first. Really not sure why he did not come more quickly to collect that through ball. Am I not alone in thinking that the renewal of the Mair loan at the start of the season has proven to be a mistake? One that might be rectified at the end of this when Archie may become a free agent?
    When we signed Stone, I was very disappointed. I was lead to believe that we would be improving on Slocombe but if we were going for Stone, we would have been better off trying to get Mair permanently in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by KintoreMagpie View Post
    Do we know that we didn't try to sign him or renew the loan?

It wouldn't have been right though to sign him just based on the fact that he saved two penalties - I can't remember what he was like in other aspects of the game.

Back in June my source told me that Notts had informed Archie that his services were no longer required. He felt then that Norwich did not want him either so he was looking for a new club. I agree that signing him solely on the strength of saving x2 penalties is not sufficient but, with hindsight, I think Notts may have missed a trick by not giving him a chance.

Mair wrote himself into folklore with his double penalty save in the shootout, but there’s been a fair bit of history revision since. He was the right keeper for the penalties but wasn’t even in contention to be our no.1 in the National League, let alone the EFL. I can’t really remember anyone questioning Slocombe starting ahead of him in the playoffs, or there even being a debate about it.

The issue is that we then appear to have backed the wrong man in Stone; another potentially good keeper (think it’s often forgotten how young he is) but one who isn’t quite ‘there’ currently - it’s arguable if we were going down that route we should have backed Brooks. What we probably needed for now was either a more proven option for 1/2 years whilst Brooks developed further, or a loanee of the ilk of Patterson or the one at Wrexham.

As we now have three keepers on the books for another 18 months, I can’t see us bringing another in this window so we really need one to step-up and become a more reliable first-choice until the end of the season. Depending on how successful his loan in Ireland was, I would be tempted to give Brooks a run in the team now - but the worry is if the fans would have the patience to stick with him if he made a mistake, or if bringing him too soon would mean he becomes Fabian Spiess Mk II. But it does feel that right now would be as good a time as any.

Brooks has been developed for years now, if hes not ready by now he will never be.Hes been loaned out numerous times and has played first team footy for us.Now should be his time to fly with a little understanding that there might be the odd mistake which fans would surely accept for a short period of time.We seem to be getting mistakes nearly every week from our established keepers !!! If you're good enough you're old enough !!!..let him loose...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast