+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Bristol Rovers

Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Bristol Rovers

All quiet on the transfer front as we head in to two successive and very winnable home games .

Looking for all 6 points from the two games personally and cement our play off position before we head to Stevenage for a top 6 encounter so to speak .

Bristol seem to have developed a bit of form recently.

Be good to see a runner breaking from midfield to run at a defence at pace. Step forward Luke Thomas.

Bristol could nick this one.

I watched Wigan laik out from the back against Manchester United on Monday night, a tactic that they certainly didn't employ against us at Oakwell. It shows to me that teams know when sitting back against us at Oakwell and breaking fast on us catching out our suspect defence is the way to gain a positive result.

It explains why our away record is better than our home record this season.

Bristol had the better of the game in our early encounter this season. They have a new manager now so I can't really comment on them. However, if they defend the penalty area well and come here organised, they will probably get a result.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Bristol seem to have developed a bit of form recently.

Be good to see a runner breaking from midfield to run at a defence at pace. Step forward Luke Thomas.

Bristol could nick this one.
    Agree.
    No one in our squad can do that.
    Why the hell we let him leave - especially without lining up a replacement - God only knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Agree.
    No one in our squad can do that.
    Why the hell we let him leave - especially without lining up a replacement - God only knows.
    Yes because Thomas was so effective for us , well maybe not , he was in fact the only winger i have ever known that didn"t want to take on a full back , plus he couldn"t wait to get away from us ( more than once ) , he may turn out to be a world beater but it never worked for him with us but he joins a long list of players who suddenly in the eyes of our fans become better players once they have left , we paid a £1 million for him & Derby were laughing all the way to the bank , they well and truly had our pants down.

Thomas and Ismael did not have a good relationship.

Thomas had a long injury during the Duff season but came back to feature in the Play Off Final.

Not quite up there with the Odejayi Miss but my last memory of him was him tearing down on the Wednesday goal at their fans end, I was thinking Shooit, Shooit, but he passed to Connell who scuffed his shot.

From what I have read he is playing well this season. Be interesting to see how he gets on.

I can think of many others who cost us good money in recent years who turned out to be not very good for us.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 13-01-2024 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Yes because Thomas was so effective for us , well maybe not , he was in fact the only winger i have ever known that didn"t want to take on a full back , plus he couldn"t wait to get away from us ( more than once ) , he may turn out to be a world beater but it never worked for him with us but he joins a long list of players who suddenly in the eyes of our fans become better players once they have left , we paid a £1 million for him & Derby were laughing all the way to the bank , they well and truly had our pants down.
    Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this before but there is a plaque up in the club, or there used to be, that says something on the lines of ….

We Do Not Play With Wingers

IMO it’s not that Thomas is a bad player - it’s more a case that he didn’t fit into the system.
    But the club should have made room for him.

He terrorised Wednesday at Hillsboro.
    I also remember a late goal - can’t remember where, when he picked the ball up and beat defenders before crossing for Tedic to head a late 0-1 winner.
    No one else at the club has the ability to do that.

He would have played in every game if it was up to me because he brought something different to the table.

When Luke Thomas was on it I thought he was a fantastic player for us , the problem was it just didn't happen consistently enough .

That's not all down to Thomas in my opinion , injuries , playing under a number of different HC's and a struggling Championship side plus the lad suffered from poor mental health during his stint here .

Mental health doesn't discriminate , it can affect anybody and can have a massive impact on your life .

A real shame it didn't quite work out because as I say at times he was fantastic for us when he was on it .

I reckon under Duff last season he found a HC who got the best out of him and then he got that horrific injury in training just when he was showing us consistently what he could really do .

Well the way I see it there's quite a bit of momentum to be tapped in to with these two very winnable back to back home games and personally anything less than the 6 points on offer would be disappointing , I'll say that .

We've had 12 days off since the Xmas schedule , a chance to regroup , take stock , shake off the niggles and start the second half of the season as we mean to go on .

A real opportunity here to maintain the top 6 place and with a positive January window maybe even top two , who knows .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well the way I see it there's quite a bit of momentum to be tapped in to with these two very winnable back to back home games and personally anything less than the 6 points on offer would be disappointing , I'll say that .

We've had 12 days off since the Xmas schedule , a chance to regroup , take stock , shake off the niggles and start the second half of the season as we mean to go on .

A real opportunity here to maintain the top 6 place and with a positive January window maybe even top two , who knows .
    All what you say is true but I might add that we will be going into these fixtures with the same vulnerable defence and especially at home they continue worry me , hope they prove me wrong but they give me no confidence at all & if we lose at home it never comes as a surprise so 6 points would be fantastic but I woulld"t hang my hat on it .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast