+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has ASM been a loss for us this season?

Has ASM been a loss for us this season?

I'm beginning to think that we could have done with another season or two from ASM, I miss some of the magic this guy could do.

With the situation we’re in currently, which was hard to predict, then yes, absolutely.

Other than that, I thought it was a brilliant sale for a good player who ran into too many dead-ends. Better than Almiron though.

Pretty sure he’d have only been out injured

He’d have been a great outlet for those few games when we sat back, but when working hard and pressing the opposition we’d all be screaming at him to do his job!!

Much as I loved watching ASM when on song I think he has been more than compensated by the product of Gordon, considering his age and future potential a brilliant £ for £ purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Much as I loved watching ASM when on song I think he has been more than compensated by the product of Gordon, considering his age and future potential a brilliant £ for £ purchase.
    Absolutely this. ^^^

Offered the chance of either, I'd take Gordon every time.

Loved Maxi. Was he more talented than Gordon? Aye, and probably more talented than anyone else in the squad. But his overall contribution to the team was a fraction of Gordon's and we only saw his talent infrequently.

When he was good, he was glorious, though.

Trying out a new font in this post;

Ashworth is by no means irreplaceable because nobody is. He's just not been here long enough to have properly made his mark, so him moving on would almost mean that we have wasted a lot of time.

Here are some of the players that he brought in at Brighton for a fraction of what they have since been sold for or likely will be sold for:

Jakub Moder, Alexis Mac Allister, Moises Caicedo, Steve Alzate, Robert Sanchez, Jeremy Sarmiento, Ben White and Aaron Connolly.

I hope we hang onto Dan so he can 'finish' what he started. By no means is he irreplaceable though.

Maybe try a bigger size too, Hughie?

Can’t wait to see Gordon and Barnes rotating on the left in attack. We need similar on the right: Miggy/ANother.
    A young striker with potential too and we’re set in attack.
    I’m not looking back to ASM.

I'd say yes and no and more leaning towards a no.
    My reason: ASM was great on the eye when in the mood which was sporadic to say the least.
    He didn't bother tracking back much and when he lost the ball he didn't put too much effort into getting it back and would rather stay on the deck.

Having said all that, I loved his flair and him as a person.

You could certainly argue that we’ve missed ASM. However, the reality is we’ve missed Harvey Barnes a lot more. As others have already mentioned, ASM was electric on his day and a real entertainer. However, his end product mainly flattered to deceive. Barnes’ goals and assist record is comfortably better. Gordon has played most of the season at LW at, aside from the last few games, has been brilliant. The other wing is the problem as I can’t see Gordon or Barnes being effective wingers. They’re both inside forwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)