+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Throwback team formation puzzler

Throwback team formation puzzler

A mere 3 months after Division 2 Sunderland shocked the mighty Leeds United to lift the FA cup,, they strutted up north to face an Aberdeen side whose pre season results were as mind-boggling as our current league form.

My 12 year old self was there half way up the beach end witnessing our 'destined to be famous in ten years time' reds give the current FA cup holders a good 3-0 doing.

However .... the purpose of this post is to ask all you armchair football managers this ....

What do you reckon was the formation of the following team who started on that day?

Clark, Williamson, Hermiston, Thomson , Young, Boel, Smith, Graham, Taylor, Jarvie, Purdie.

I'd guess a back 4 of Boel, Thomson, Young, Hermiston with "utility man" Billy Williamson playing alongside Joe Smith in midfield.
    A 4 4 2, with Purdie and Taylor wide, Bumper playing an unfamiliar striker role alongside Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    A mere 3 months after Division 2 Sunderland shocked the mighty Leeds United to lift the FA cup,, they strutted up north to face an Aberdeen side whose pre season results were as mind-boggling as our current league form.

My 12 year old self was there half way up the beach end witnessing our 'destined to be famous in ten years time' reds give the current FA cup holders a good 3-0 doing.

However .... the purpose of this post is to ask all you armchair football managers this ....

What do you reckon was the formation of the following team who started on that day?

Clark, Williamson, Hermiston, Thomson , Young, Boel, Smith, Graham, Taylor, Jarvie, Purdie.
    I'm not sure, just a smidge before my time - but I can't look at this line up without seeing Graham Taylor in our 10 man team that day!

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I'd guess a back 4 of Boel, Thomson, Young, Hermiston with "utility man" Billy Williamson playing alongside Joe Smith in midfield.
    A 4 4 2, with Purdie and Taylor wide, Bumper playing an unfamiliar striker role alongside Drew.
    Aye, that sounds kinda feasible .... Ah wis a bit thrown tae see Boel and Williamson in the same line up .... only thing Ah'd suggest different would be Graham wide left and Purdie alongside or jist behind Jarvie.