+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager

New manager

OK so the dust is settling now and LW has gone to pastures new... I had a look at the latest manager odds and some scary ones in there...who do you guys think or hope for? I saw John Eustace at 10/1 and Gareth Ainsworth also at 10/1... either for me would be a decent punt.

John Sheridan is available! It will be a mystery person we have never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    OK so the dust is settling now and LW has gone to pastures new... I had a look at the latest manager odds and some scary ones in there...who do you guys think or hope for? I saw John Eustace at 10/1 and Gareth Ainsworth also at 10/1... either for me would be a decent punt.
    Wouldn't mind John Eustace but not sure that there is a reasonable chance of that happening

I’d stay away from the bookies on this one. Our last 2 managerial appointments were so left field that they didn’t appear in betting odds until it was practically a done deal.
    Whoever comes in will be under pressure and the shadow of LW. It will be a tough gig.
    I hope we somehow have a man in place before Grimsby. It gives him a little time before a tough run, but more importantly a chance to look at the squad and discuss any glaring gaps. Particularly if he wants to move away from 3 at the back.

As we know it'll not be anyone from any of the betting lists, luckily.

Gareth Ainsworth, bit early to be drinking innit?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    John Sheridan is available! It will be a mystery person we have never heard of.
    Which could be a good thing in fairness, a lot of names on there who send a shiver down my spine... LW was a complete unknown (well by me anyway) and did an amazing job... it could be an under 21 coach from some Premier or championship club, I trust the good brothers are doing their homework... sad to see Luke go but a little excited that a new guy can come in and sort out that porous defense.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    As we know it'll not be anyone from any of the betting lists, luckily.

Gareth Ainsworth, bit early to be drinking innit?
    The whiskey I got for Christmas is going down well pal 😊

Interesting point to note is that around 8 years ago we employed Jamie Fullarton as first team manager on the acknowledged basis of an impressive power point presentation. He is now a PE teacher at Ackworth School according to Wikipedia. It's definitely been an interesting ride the last few years. Sometimes a sense of perspective is required!

Both good managers.

Ainsworth did a tremendous job for many years at Wycombe, and Eustace's sacking by Birmingham was a disgrace and a travesty.

HOWEVER, I think a point made on the Magpie Circle podcast last night was a valid one. The owners will probably be looking for a 'Head Coach' who meets (at least) two fairly non-negotiable criteria:

1. Must believe in the playing the kind of attractive, passing football that has become our 'identity', particularly under Burchnall and Williams
    2. Must be willing to accept that recruitment is a collective decision, not the sole preserve of the 'manager'

That will possibly rule out several notable/experienced names who are being mentioned in dispatches, but who perhaps would demand more freedom to change the style and sign "their own" players.

Recent history might point towards the appointment of another relatively young and possibly unheralded modern-thinking coach who understands and accepts these criteria, and the idea that they are a 'Head Coach' rather than a 'Manager'. Based on the evidence so far, this has been far more successful than the 'traditional' approach we saw in the past, where managers chopped and changed, the team/club struggled to find its identity, and recruitment was a complete basket-case.
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-01-2024 at 11:17 AM.

Only from a bit of gossip from a friend who works with Brentford but Neil MacFarlane has apparently been approached by a club currently without a manager. Don’t know if it’s Notts or not but he sort of fits the mold from what I’ve googled. One to throw into the mix as a bit left field. I would think he’s paid more than Notts would offer though even as an under 21 coach!

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast