+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EDDIE HOWE told not to pursue £30m Leeds winger, "nothing more than a bench warmer!"

EDDIE HOWE told not to pursue £30m Leeds winger, "nothing more than a bench warmer!"

According to an article on Team Talk:

Eddie Howe has been told he would be wasting everyone’s time and money if the Newcastle boss pursues his £30m interest in Leeds United winger Crysencio Summerville after serious question marks over his qualities were raised.

The Dutch winger signed for Leeds in a £1.3m move from Feyenoord in the summer of 2020. While he showed flashes of his potential last season, notably scoring the winner in a 2-1 win over Liverpool at Anfield, it’s only since their drop into the second tier that Summerville has really hit the straps.

So far this season, Summerville has 18 goal contributions from 24 appearances. And those 12 goals and six assists have highlighted the player as one of the second tier’s top talents.

So good has been his form that the Netherlands Under-21 winger has attracted admiring glances from both Aston Villa and Brighton, neither of whom are phased by Leeds’ apparent £30m valuation.

However, the strongest interest has come from Newcastle, amid claims Howe is desperate to add the winger to his injury-hit squad.

However, Magpies boss Howe has been advised to avoid pursuing the signing of the 22-year-old, having been told he will never be more than a benchwarmer for Newcastle and that he is not of the quality of player they need to take the club to the next level.

“That’s mad, I think Newcastle should be aiming higher than that,” pundit Frank McAvennie told Football Insider of Newcastle links to Summerville.

“They’re bigger than that now. They’ve fallen away in their recent games.

“They need more quality. Summerville has scored 12 goals and six assists this season. “But I think with the money that they’ve got, they need to be looking for bigger players than Championship players.

“Would bringing him in help Newcastle challenge Man City and Liverpool? I don’t think so.

“They need world-class quality. They have a threadbare squad and the people that are coming in aren’t good enough.

“Newcastle don’t need another squad player, they need someone to come straight into the starting line-up.”

Newcastle are well blessed for wingers with Harvey Barnes hoping to return soon from the broken foot injury that has sidelined him since September, while Miguel Almiron, Elliot Anderson, Jacob Murphy and Anthony Gordon can play there, while Joe Willock and Matt Richie also present other options when needed.

We also understand, however, that despite links to three Premier League clubs, Leeds plan to resist all offers for Summerville with the player critical to their promotion hopes.

I agree...we should be aiming higher than that. We need someone who can go straight into the first team and the telling line from that article is when iy says he hit his straps once they dropped into the Chimpo.

We saw yesterday the reality of hyped-up Chimpo players when they face a Prem team. There will obviously be exceptions but we're not in a position to take a chance on someone coming good.

As much as we do need a few bodies in I hope we don't press any panic buttons for buys just to paper over a few cracks because January is rife for clubs offloading unhappy, troublesome or under par players.

Sticking my neck out I'd say a few loans and rely on injuries to even out until the summer and by that time I'm fairly sure the club will have identified a decent number to bring in and certainly some to definitely offload.

100% agree we need to be signing top proven players now not more ones for the future, 30 million is a joke as well.

IMO a sprinkling of these kind of players for the future is good and if EH sees a high ceiling potential in a player under the age of 21 then I trust it but at the right price. 30m seems too high perhaps.

However I definately think we need some players in who can deliver now.

Aye, maybe one for the Summer.

Agreed - not for that price and for the fact it took him dropping to chimpo to show he could be decent.

We need players, either on loan or buying that can hit the ground running.

It seems like all you need to do is lace your boots and you’re a £30m player. How on earth are you meant to build a winning squad under FFP rules with these inflated transfer fees and presumably wages?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneymcRingRing View Post
    It seems like all you need to do is lace your boots and you’re a £30m player. How on earth are you meant to build a winning squad under FFP rules with these inflated transfer fees and presumably wages?
    That’s exactly what the big 6 asked themselves before pressurizing the authorities to introduce these rules.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)