+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Politicising football

Politicising football

Taking the knee, wristbands, Arsenal white shirts. What next? Keep politics out of our game!! If anyone wants to push their message they should go elsewhere. The fact that football shirts are advertising spaces for commercial products is bad enough but I don't want anyone telling me how to lead my life. If there is one thing that can unite the world it's football. Just let it be ffs

How can football unite the world when some people don’t like or are simply not interested the game? Please explain…

As much as I dislike the divisive and toxic politics we have now, politics impacts every aspect of daily life. It would be great to live in an apolitical world, but unfortunately that is fantasy. If you dislike it that much then consider doing something else with your time?

Or is it the case that you would prefer only the politics you agree with to be in sport instead? A bit like some people who are into free speech, but only if it’s the type of free speech that they resonate and agree with

Keep ALL politics out of football. Understand now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    Taking the knee, wristbands, Arsenal white shirts. What next? Keep politics out of our game!! If anyone wants to push their message they should go elsewhere. The fact that football shirts are advertising spaces for commercial products is bad enough but I don't want anyone telling me how to lead my life. If there is one thing that can unite the world it's football. Just let it be ffs
    Why do you think that trying something to stop knife crime and knife use among young people is political ?

Keep ALL politics out of football. Understand now?
    Give your head a wobble.

If you don’t want anyone, telling you how to lead your life, I suggest you go and lock yourself in a dark room.

Football is an entertainment. It's not there to give people lessons in morals. Understand now?

'Please don't stab each other to death' is hardly the most controversial moral lesson to hand out.

Football is an entertainment. It's not there to give people lessons in morals. Understand now?
    Steady on Einstein

If you think modern football exists purely for entertainment, it’s you who lacks understanding.

Do a bit of research after you finish school.

😂

At least Rishi Sunak appears to favour watching Southampton rather than attending the NYS which is a small blessing
    We’re closer to his constituency though so he might be in the away end when the Saints come marching into Rotherham soon

I have a big problem with this 'I don't want anyone else influencing me' that I've come across a lot. Why on earth not? If no one shared ideas and influenced each other we wouldn't improve or develop would we? You don't have to accept everything just because someone else says it, but in my mind we all have a moral duty to consider how we're behaving and at least pay attention to those who have experience - and it's charities that use football clubs as vehicles to get the messages out, not the clubs coming up with it all themselves - it's just an efficient way to reach lots of people. You also have a responsibility to influence others if you're an expert in something or if they're behaving badly. That's how we'll improve things as a society, not by burying our heads in the sand either to our own or other people's behaviour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast