+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Farmers

My dad god bless him lived till he was 95, worked in the Pit 48yrs & eat everything Lard, dripping, meat, cows Brains, sheeps hearts.Smoked & liked drink.Father in law lived till he was 97 he also liked his snap, 12hr shifts in the rolling mills.Too many modified food stuff now full of all sorts of crap.How does milk last over a week same with bread, you was lucky if it lasted two days when I was young.I will eat what I want in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    What do you think of lab grown meats?
    Don'tt know much about the issue to be honest frog. I'm not a puritan by any means and if alternative products are created from animal origins, I wouldn't object in principal as long as livestiock aren't bread and killed as part of the process. Not sure I'd eat it though! But if it helps us to move away from widescale relience on the meat and dairy inductry, I'd look at it. And might even eat it!

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Laboratory/factory grown meat using animal DNA is already happening here in the UK - place in the Midlands comes to mind - so called ‘dark factories’ - many food and non-food products will be produced like this in the future - farming/land use will change whether folk like it or not
    What will it be changed to though?

Will it go to wild life or farmed for different reasons.

What will be the long term gains of using chemicals to grow food in a lab when nature has done it naturally ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    My dad god bless him lived till he was 95, worked in the Pit 48yrs & eat everything Lard, dripping, meat, cows Brains, sheeps hearts.Smoked & liked drink.Father in law lived till he was 97 he also liked his snap, 12hr shifts in the rolling mills.Too many modified food stuff now full of all sorts of crap.How does milk last over a week same with bread, you was lucky if it lasted two days when I was young.I will eat what I want in moderation.
    If it's available and affordable.

What will be the long term gains of using chemicals to grow food in a lab when nature has done it naturally ?
    I’m not sure that DNA replication requires chemical input - though stand to be corrected on that - most food produced now uses chemicals anyway - not that I am comfortable with that. As for land use, that will be guided to a degree by national land use policy, evolving climate changes, flood alleviation and land ownership. I’ve been involved in using some of the land I have interest in to hold more water higher up the catchment/flood alleviation - the single most effective intervention I.e. slowing its progress into watercourses (one downside is it is better for midges!) - governments are too slow to engage in a timely manner but do hang on to some more progressive coat tails when it suits

There are possible long terms gains but as you say, there are potential long term risks to balance it against. Possible gains are that we have the benefits of simulated meat and dairy without the associated environmental damage that is seemingly being caused (no expert, but strong evidence of this) and inherent cruelty of the industry (personal opinion, not asking you or anyone to agree). These would be massive gains.

Possible harms though are that, if produced using unsafe produce including chemicals and lab grown ingredients, are mass physical illness. So I would say we need to make sure that the exploration of this inductry is well regulated and transparent. Not easy when quick and big bucks are to be made, but not beyond us. I think we're collectively capable of that. Personally. Plus, I'd kill for some lab grown cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    I’m not sure that DNA replication requires chemical input - though stand to be corrected on that - most food produced now uses chemicals anyway - not that I am comfortable with that. As for land use, that will be guided to a degree by national land use policy, evolving climate changes, flood alleviation and land ownership. I’ve been involved in using some of the land I have interest in to hold more water higher up the catchment/flood alleviation - the single most effective intervention I.e. slowing its progress into watercourses (one downside is it is better for midges!) - governments are too slow to engage in a timely manner but do hang on to some more progressive coat tails when it suits
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+does+l...%3D29GFYxI4tek

Thanks for the links frog. I clicked on the Matt Ferrell 'Undecided' one, which was very informative in explaining the lab grown meat process and context for people to consider and decide for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBq...ithMattFerrell

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Thanks for the links frog. I clicked on the Matt Ferrell 'Undecided' one, which was very informative in explaining the lab grown meat process and context for people to consider and decide for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBq...ithMattFerrell
    It looks excellent as a material doesn't it? Ikea on board will help so much. That bacon looked over done mind

It looks excellent as a material doesn't it? Ikea on board will help so much. That bacon looked over done mind

Thanks for the links - will read later - rather busy few hours ahead for me now

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast