+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New signing.

New signing.

Lewis Leigh. End of season loan from Preston. Midfielder.

20 years old. Previously on loan with Bromley. Apparently has a range of passing and can tackle.
    Any chance of getting another before Saturday? Any permanent??

We are doing well this season.

Two points though.

1. As said before, I don't agree with any loan signings. The better clubs get the better players.

2. What is the point of us spending a million pounds on our academy and then signing other clubs academy players. He was not exactly playing for a professional league club and so are we watching all these academy players the country over and so again what is the point of ours? All we are doing is doing favours for the clubs that provide these lads and you could argue they are at the moment second rate players and he may be good or he maybe???

Lets just run our academy on Cat4 save a lot of money for better signings and provide a few fill in's from our own academy. We spend years and years having them here and none good enough still? I wonder how much money RH costs the club. I hope he is very good but nobody else seems to want him? Why us?

I would suggest most non league clubs have players who can pass the ball and tackle...I could when I was 20...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 08-01-2024 at 04:35 PM.

Bromley IS a professional football club.
    "Nobody wants him". - a small matter of evidence needed to support that statement. Consider that he has arrived at the beginning of the window immediately after a spell at a reasonably successful club at the next tier down.
    However, I also would prefer it if the loan system ended. Then, the larger clubs wouldn't hoard a large number of players and therefore some would filter down the system. Having said that, because our sport is not controlled by people interested in sport itself but by the potential for profit, it is not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    We are doing well this season.

Two points though.

1. As said before, I don't agree with any loan signings. The better clubs get the better players.

2. What is the point of us spending a million pounds on our academy and then signing other clubs academy players. He was not exactly playing for a professional league club and so are we watching all these academy players the country over and so again what is the point of ours? All we are doing is doing favours for the clubs that provide these lads and you could argue they are at the moment second rate players and he may be good or he maybe???

Lets just run our academy on Cat4 save a lot of money for better signings and provide a few fill in's from our own academy. We spend years and years having them here and none good enough still? I wonder how much money RH costs the club. I hope he is very good but nobody else seems to want him? Why us?

I would suggest most non league clubs have players who can pass the ball and tackle...I could when I was 20...
    None of out Academy players good enough Mike? Currently playing in the team that, as you say, is doing well are the following

Booth
    Adebisi
    Billington
    Offord
    O'Riordan (attracting attention from Championship clubs)
    Williams (currently injured but would be in the team if fit)
    Tabiner (currently injured, but when fit will be in the team)
    Holicek (currently injured but when fit will be in the squad)

So I think you are a touch wide of the mark there. Loan players from other clubs come here to improve as Joe White is doing . Nowhere near Newcastle's first team but is here to develop his game and in doing so has helped us. Mutual benefit. Same with Rowe, who is slightly older but the principle is the same. What should be stopped is the Chelsea and Man Citys of this world snapping up more players than they could ever need and have no intention of playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    None of out Academy players good enough Mike? Currently playing in the team that, as you say, is doing well are the following

Booth
    Adebisi
    Billington
    Offord
    O'Riordan (attracting attention from Championship clubs)
    Williams (currently injured but would be in the team if fit)
    Tabiner (currently injured, but when fit will be in the team)
    Holicek (currently injured but when fit will be in the squad)

So I think you are a touch wide of the mark there. Loan players from other clubs come here to improve as Joe White is doing . Nowhere near Newcastle's first team but is here to develop his game and in doing so has helped us. Mutual benefit. Same with Rowe, who is slightly older but the principle is the same. What should be stopped is the Chelsea and Man Citys of this world snapping up more players than they could ever need and have no intention of playing them.
    You forgot Lunt and Finney.
    And Agius looked decent when he came on too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    You forgot Lunt and Finney.
    And Agius looked decent when he came on too.
    I had forgotten Finney. I was making the point around those who had been in or around the first team this season but Finney has been around it for a couple of years now whilst never seeming to remain fit enough for an extended run

And there will probably be a couple more coming through that we've not heard of yet !! Thats why we'll never get rid of the academy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terrierstan View Post
    And there will probably be a couple more coming through that we've not heard of yet !! Thats why we'll never get rid of the academy!!
    I've never suggested we get rid of our academy as all clubs including non league have them. I was suggesting we do what most other clubs at our level do and downgrade it. But as said, maybe the FA pay most of the costs and then it becomes debatable.

Look at this way. One of the loan players was suggested going from here to Stockport and lets say they get promoted and we don't. Is that fair? I wonder if loan clubs demand more money towards the wages if they are wealthier? Again its all top secret to the fans.

Timmy, that is the big problem. Youngsters staying fit when they graduate to the first team. Even the manager admits its a huge step up. He calls it a "man's game". Its a shame that so many suffer injuries at that age but they do have weaker bones and stuff. What happened to that player that went to Portsmouth. I've never seen his name on the team sheet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast