+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking one for the team...

Taking one for the team...

... and getting a yellow card. It's another lump of crap that has crept into the game and, IMO, needs stamping out as I see it as cheating.

Would players be as keen to take a yellow to stop an opponent who has shown to have "done them" in a move if there was a 10 minute sin bin attached to the card? I don't think they would

I think it would cut out a lot of this form of cheating and lead to more possibilities for goals. It would also be a better form of "justice" as the team wronged would get the benefit (if it IS a benefit and it isn't always so...) of playing against 10 men for 10 minutes rather than the player not being available in a totally different game against different opposition, a few weeks later.

I'm all for anything that would alleviate cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    ... and getting a yellow card. It's another lump of crap that has crept into the game and, IMO, needs stamping out as I see it as cheating.

Would players be as keen to take a yellow to stop an opponent who has shown to have "done them" in a move if there was a 10 minute sin bin attached to the card? I don't think they would

I think it would cut out a lot of this form of cheating and lead to more possibilities for goals. It would also be a better form of "justice" as the team wronged would get the benefit (if it IS a benefit and it isn't always so...) of playing against 10 men for 10 minutes rather than the player not being available in a totally different game against different opposition, a few weeks later.

Not sure it’s that recent, MA. Didn’t they used to be called ‘professional fouls’. Another misnomer.

I do agree about the yellow card being replaced by a ‘sin bin’ though, in terms of the ‘justice’ aspect. Seems to work well in RL, although there’ve been one or two occasions this season when we might have been down to seven men.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 08-01-2024 at 04:33 PM.

Not into the sin bin idea. Taking one for the team has been going on years. Remember Johnny Russell virtually rugby tackling someone to stop an attack.

You could always change it so if a challenge is considered a deliberate foul, dangerous or not, make it a red card.

That might stop it. Though I'd rather see them stamp down on time wasting which they said they were going to do this season but haven't really.

What happened to players being treated off the pitch if its considered non serious

I’d be open to that if it was both punishments. I’d also make any foul from the last defender is a pen, any handled shot on its way in is a goal and any time wasting results in a free kick for the opposition. Yes, keep the spherical ball by all means

I don't think a 10 mins sin bin would be a deterrent, teams would just park the bus for 10 mins, which may well take them to the final whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I don't think a 10 mins sin bin would be a deterrent, teams would just park the bus for 10 mins, which may well take them to the final whistle.
    Player sin binned for 10 minutes a mere 3 minutes from the end, serves the remaining 7 next time he starts or comes on (or stays off in this instance) as a sub.

Player sin binned for 10 minutes a mere 3 minutes from the end, serves the remaining 7 next time he starts or comes on (or stays off in this instance) as a sub.
    Where a player commits a "professional foul" worthy of red (or orange) card, then the sinned against team can chose which player on the offending team incurs the penalty and is removed from the field of play. Collective responsibility.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Where a player commits a "professional foul" worthy of red (or orange) card, then the sinned against team can chose which player on the offending team incurs the penalty and is removed from the field of play. Collective responsibility.....
    Imagine the amount of game time McGoldrick would have got last year...

Imagine the improved discipline though....defender commits professional foul to prevent goal scoring opportunity: penalty and keeper gets sent off in lieu

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Imagine the improved discipline though....defender commits professional foul to prevent goal scoring opportunity: penalty and keeper gets sent off in lieu
    Remember the 2014 playoff final? Gary O'Neil chopped Johnny Russell when clean through. Admittedly if he'd evaded the foul Johnny would probably have put any subsequent shot into the crowd but a penalty would have been a different thing entirely, especially as he wouldn't have been taking it. Our whole decade since could have taken a different path entirely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)