+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Inverness v United

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    😁
    I get the impression Goodwin himself can't understand why we're so poor at times.
    I think he's very much learning on the job still.
    Agree. I think we need some kind of attack minded coach on the team. We can clearly defend, and rightly so, with Goodwin, Sharp and Bowman in the ranks. We always look devoid of ideas going forward. We're a one trick pony most of the time.

IMO, JG needs this transfer window to get a fair crack at our club. He had a massive rebuild to do, and I think we are still a couple of players light...and there are a couple of players that he doesn't want. I think Wotherspoon might well be the type of player we have been missing. My big concern, though, is I am not sure he would be capable of doing another rebuild that would get us safe in the top division if we do manage to get promotion. One thing I am sure of is that regardless of what happens this season, we are going to have to make some major chances on and off the field when the season ends if MO manages to find a buyer for the club.
    Main priority is getting out of this sh1tty league at first time of asking!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    I do blame Goodwin at least partly. It's the manager's job to create a style and fluidity and a way of creating chances. Too often that's been missing.
    At the recent Thistle game 5 minutes in you could see United were on it. High tempo, passing, attacking intent. Not sure why we don't start every game like that. In this division teams struggle to live with it.

It seems tonight the game plan was to quote Holt at end to 'frustrate' and 'contain' them . Watt even said the message at half time was 'more of the same'. To me this is unacceptable and I have been a defender of JG. That one cross at the end leading to a goal got us out of jail not a great game plan. Regardless of who is available for selection we have to play better than last night.

Brutal, 73 minutes before we get a shot on target? ICT weren't much better, created hardly anything of note.

However, the spine of the team weren't playing. That's going to have an effect on ANY team, let alone one in the Scottish Championship posting financial figures like we just have. There is a reason players are first choice, they are better. Missing so many is obviously going to cause a problem.

All said, a brilliant result.

I do think we have to look at how we set up against Caley. Big Dunc has them organised. 3 at the back. Gilmour sitting in front of them with a supposed 4 in front of that. That 4 becomes a 6 though as the two forwards drop in. Means they always have a central overload. Tilson and Mochrie have to hold deep as usually against 4. All ICT want to do is pull us in narrow and get the ball to Carson (who is rotten) or Harper (who is good and out of contract in summer.....).

Game set up for them to try and dominate centrally without really trying to threaten. Means it is incredibly difficult for us to play to our strengths and really hard to play through the lines. Meekison's clever movement and brave forward balls/runs the only times we succeeded. Mochrie tried to break the lines by carrying the ball, but was so congested that was difficult.

I am inclined not to judge the performance too harshly. A lot of work done off the ball and covering space. We were not composed enough when we did have possession though. Do think we need a different set up when they come to us next. Not sure we learned from the last game.

A very hard fought victory in the end and at least we only have to play them once more!!

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Think of all the funsters and sevconians that sat through it desperate for a home win lol but you are right, it is all about the win tonight
    I think if any of the funny lot and The Rangers fans watched that last night they would be thinking how poor are United and how poor is the championship.

Yes i know we had the spine of our team missing but i was sitting up there last night thinking ,this is poor very poor. 60 mins in and i was seriously tempted to just get back to the car and drive home.

I am sorry to say but this squad even if all our players were fit are nowhere ready to compete in the Premiership, we need a lot of additions in my opinion.

I know you are always positive about United Shedka and look at things from a different perspective from some others on here, but what i saw last night was worrying as has been a few of our performances this season, even when we have had the spine of the team playing.

Lets not care about what the Fuuny lot and The Rangers lot were hoping for last night, lets just concentrate on our team and getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    I do think we have to look at how we set up against Caley. Big Dunc has them organised. 3 at the back. Gilmour sitting in front of them with a supposed 4 in front of that. That 4 becomes a 6 though as the two forwards drop in. Means they always have a central overload. Tilson and Mochrie have to hold deep as usually against 4. All ICT want to do is pull us in narrow and get the ball to Carson (who is rotten) or Harper (who is good and out of contract in summer.....).

Game set up for them to try and dominate centrally without really trying to threaten. Means it is incredibly difficult for us to play to our strengths and really hard to play through the lines. Meekison's clever movement and brave forward balls/runs the only times we succeeded. Mochrie tried to break the lines by carrying the ball, but was so congested that was difficult.

I am inclined not to judge the performance too harshly. A lot of work done off the ball and covering space. We were not composed enough when we did have possession though. Do think we need a different set up when they come to us next. Not sure we learned from the last game.

A very hard fought victory in the end and at least we only have to play them once more!!
    It’s a good analysis.

As another poster has said Goodwin has them set up well enough defensively and our defence are good - especially with Gallagher fit

I do think though we should have another more technically minded coach to help the forward players and advise on formations. I don’t see that we have that on coaching staff. I think they were all hard midfielders in their playing days

I’m delighted with the win from last night.

It was all about the win.

We are neck and neck with Raith. It’s all about who can get the most points between now and end of season. 16 matches is not a lot left

We have achieved 2.2 points per game which is what you need to potentially win a league but Raith are matching us and we particularly need to beat them in matches against them

If you are going to win a title you sometimes have to win ugly - job done ✔️

I'd be surprised if The Rangers fans even knew we were on TV last night, never mind watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffregular81 View Post
    I am sorry to say but this squad even if all our players were fit are nowhere ready to compete in the Premiership, we need a lot of additions in my opinion.
    Yes, but they would come. We have quite a few out of contract come the end of the season - I don’t think Goodwin’s daft enough to think this squad is Premiership ready. Right now it’s about one thing and one thing only - promotion. We can worry about assembling a team for the Premiership come the summer. Given the tightness of the league and the financials just posted, we are in no position to be rolling the dice this window and getting in guys on big wages who are Premiership ‘quality’ when we have absolutely no guarantees whatsoever currently that that’s where we’ll be next season.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    At the recent Thistle game 5 minutes in you could see United were on it. High tempo, passing, attacking intent. Not sure why we don't start every game like that. In this division teams struggle to live with it.

It seems tonight the game plan was to quote Holt at end to 'frustrate' and 'contain' them . Watt even said the message at half time was 'more of the same'. To me this is unacceptable and I have been a defender of JG. That one cross at the end leading to a goal got us out of jail not a great game plan. Regardless of who is available for selection we have to play better than last night.

Agree we can play better in possession regardless of who was missing but disagree about ganeplan, made sense given the players we had missing, ultimately paid off in the end, was a risk though but that was an excellent three pts with the midfield we had, I'd accept another 16 like that if it means first and would enjoy it, but that its gonna be like that

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)