Clarets Mad - Clarets v Hatters, English Premier League Match Preview.
Venue: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley, BB10 4BX.
Kick-off – 19.45 - 12th January 2023.

Bolton Wanderers managed to snatch a goalless draw in the FA Cup on Saturday at Kenilworth Road and consequently the veritable relegation six-pointer between Burnley and Luton Town is moved forward to this Friday night at Turf Moor.

All the usual cliches will be rolled out for this encounter between two of the obvious candidates for a berth in next season’s Championship. A “must-win game,” “winners take all” and all the usual drivel the media roll out for this type of football game.

The truth is the Hatters have a game in hand over the Clarets, are four points better off and have a superior goal difference. It is not rocket science to claim this is a game the hosts really need to win and not lose to let Luton Town go seven points clear at this stage of the season.

One’s to watch: Goals are hard to come by for the Clarets at present. Zeki Amdouni continues to fire blanks, Lyle Foster may be not fit to feature, Luca Koleosho remains side-lined through injury, and it is difficult to see from where any Burnley goals will come from. Could anyone from the shadows step up to the plate and knock a couple of goals in for the goal shy Clarets. Jay Rodriguez, Manuel Benson, Anass Zaroury or Michael Obafemi undoubtedly have the talents but just need an opportunity.

For the Hatters the impressive Luton Town manager Rob Edwards continues to get the best out of a squad that contains veteran goalkeeper Tim Krul, the rejuvenated Ross Barkley, target man Carlton Morris and former Everton star Andros Townsend who was reported to have had an offer to sign for Burnley withdrawn at the last-minute earlier this season.

Verdict: Arijanet Muric seems more than capable to cope with Luton’s rugged physicality at set-pieces, but I expect James Trafford to start the game and the Claret’s defence may then prove vulnerable to the expected aerial bombardment from Edward’s team. Because I’m a crazy optimist I am going for a 3-1 home win, but that prediction is based more on fan passion than a rational thought process.

Footnote: In any game that Burnley play involving Craig Pawson officiating in any capacity fills me with dread. The standard of refereeing in the EPL has indisputably hit an all-time low and it is beyond crazy that fans of EPL teams are now first and foremost looking at who is adjudicating over their next game.

Gone are the days of pondering over the opposition, first question now is which small army will oversee our next game. For the record on Friday night: Referee: Tony Harrington. Assistants: Darren Cann, Matthew Wilkes. Fourth official: Craig Pawson. VAR: Peter Bankes. Assistant VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis.

Enjoy the game. (TEC).

Attachment 25568